What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs will beat TCU on Sep 2

Still think it is fair to say that we are owed Slapdick's thoughts on the remainder of the schedule. Not just the next game. That is what was promised in the original post.

C'mon Slapdick, Allbuffs turns its lonely eyes to you.

This is what I said.

I'm not calling the rest of their schedule until I watch them play.
I never said I would give you the entire remainder of the schedule at one time. I'll wait to see them perform against the Ducks and then talk about the Trojans. I was certain about the 3-0 beginning. I'm less certain about the rest of the schedule because I have to wait to see how they perform. BTW, It appears that McCaskill will play at Oregon. He took off his yellow jersey and practiced in full pads today.

gummy-dicks.gif
1695208150755.png1695208171251.png1695208191098.png

Well, I was wrong about the Oregon game. For some reason, CU didn't show up to play. I don't know why. I'd run through walls for Prime, but some of these boys need a swift kick for dogging it.

A hard look at some stats will, I think, tell the story.

Lots of people are complaining that the Buffs don't have a running game. The stats say otherwise. Looking at ONLY the running backs, the Buffs are averaging 4.22 yards per carry. The problem is, they're only rushing 25% of the time. Dillon Edwards is averaging 5.61 yards per carry, and he has more carries than anyone else. They need to rush more to keep the pressure off of Shedeur and at least keep the defenses guessing. Rushing more would also build the O-line's confidence, which they need.

I constantly hear that their O-line and D-line are two small. That's false. Look at the graphics attached to this post. (Hat tip to Buffed Up TV.) Both lines compare favorably in both height and weight with the most successful programs in college football. The issue isn't size. It's ability. Or aggressiveness. Or a combination of the two. Or something else.

They've given up 23 sacks in four games. They rank 131 out of 132 in sacks per game. That's not a winning forumla. But their size is not the problem. It's something else. And the coaches will have to figure that out.

I think running the ball more would help. Maybe now that Alton McCaskill is in the mix, they will do that. The second best back on the team (in terms of yards per carry) is Charlie Offerdahl. They should insert him into the rotation more. Using Charlie along with Alton and Dillon would give defenses a good dose of speed (Dillon), size (Charlie), and agility (Alton).

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 12.01.03 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-24 at 12.00.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-24 at 12.00.42 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-24 at 12.00.31 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-24 at 11.58.23 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-24 at 11.58.08 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-24 at 11.57.57 AM.png

It's not an issue of size in the trenches.

The issue is that there's not much NFL talent, particularly a lack of "will be starting on Sundays in 2024" talent.

Moreover, while there is enough talent to make solid lines for P5 football, these units have to play off teammates in their units. They're all new to each other, new to the schemes, and new to their coaches so there isn't mastery of assignments or chemistry like there would be if they'd all been together 2-3 years. Lots of learning going on every week.

If we can get to the bye week healthy and somewhere between 4-3 and 6-1, I think we'll be well positioned to make a lot of noise in the final 5 games. Enough to be in line to make a Holiday Bowl level postseason appearance.

It's not an issue of size in the trenches.

The issue is that there's not much NFL talent, particularly a lack of "will be starting on Sundays in 2024" talent.

Moreover, while there is enough talent to make solid lines for P5 football, these units have to play off teammates in their units. They're all new to each other, new to the schemes, and new to their coaches so there isn't mastery of assignments or chemistry like there would be if they'd all been together 2-3 years. Lots of learning going on every week.

If we can get to the bye week healthy and somewhere between 4-3 and 6-1, I think we'll be well positioned to make a lot of noise in the final 5 games. Enough to be in line to make a Holiday Bowl level postseason appearance.
Someone else mentioned it yesterday, but Shane Cokes has been a complete nom factor this year. I had actually forgotten about him until he was brought up yesterday.

Someone else mentioned it yesterday, but Shane Cokes has been a complete nom factor this year. I had actually forgotten about him until he was brought up yesterday.
The season is still young, but at this point, his decision to forgo entering the draft (where he was projected to be a fifth-rounder) is looking like a huge mistake.

Back