What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones Decision Day Thread

Yeah. I've mentally prepared myself for the rejection/loss. It's getting easier by the year.

I don't blame Bohn. The offer was VERY competitive.

The only thing I can fault Bohn for is that you should be pretty sure the guy is going to accept the offer before you extend it to him. I think a little more due diligence may have been in order.

Here's what's going to happen. I'm going to write:

"This sucks"

And due to reverse mush powers, we will get an answer on the hire/no hire in under 2 minutes.

I wonder how much the cloak & dagger James Bond stuff they had to go through yesterday turned him off? He may have been willing to take the job, but when that happened, he might have been like "WTF is THIS all about?"

Bohn put a ton of effort into this, but ultimately it looks like he is going to fail. Of course he is culpable. He couldn't sell CU.

Hope he does better on the next guy

Hopefully Plan B can be executed quickly. I don't have the patience for more of these plane trackers, what room he's in, who he's talking to etc.

Hopefully Plan B can be executed quickly. I don't have the patience for more of these plane trackers, what room he's in, who he's talking to etc.

I'm somewhat hopeful that Plan B will go down like it did with Purdue today (Not sure it is really plan B, or more like Plan D, but whatever).

Can't blame Bohn? Seriously?

What would you have done differently? As I said, I think he could have done his homework a little better and made damn sure that any offer he extended would be accepted. Other than that, I can't really fault him. He made every effort, so far as I can tell.

Checked a Cinncy board and they are concerned he is leaving because it is taking so long.

:lol: Bohn has got it ****ing made with this fan base in terms of expectation/forgiveness. Holy ****

So if you were the AD you would put a gun in BJ's mouth and tell him either his brains or signature will be on the contract. He made a strong offer, charmed the guy from what I hear, had his wife charm BJ's wife, but the guy just didn't sign. How would you have handled it differently?

Not one single former CU Head Football Coach is currently employed in that profession. Career killer....scared Butch away. LOL

On a serious note, this delay is worrisome yet laughable. I'm out. Talk to ya'll on signing day.

We shouldn't feel bad about losing a guy who chooses to stay in a ****hole like Cincy vs. Boulder.

Not one single former CU Head Football Coach is currently employed in that profession. Career killer....scared Butch away. LOL

On a serious note, this delay is worrisome yet laughable. I'm out. Talk to ya'll on signing day.

That is our major problem.

I would make damn sure the guy was going to sign before contract details and such were leaked. You guys are giving Bohn an "A+" for effort essentially. It is incredible.

This is all due to a self-imposed management **** up of epic proportions. I've never seen anything like it. Instead of biting the bullet with Hawkins, and firing him in year three, they allowed him to stay. The decision was a purely financial one and they misjudged the damage that would occur. To further compound the mistake, they decided to double down and hire the cheapest coach that they thought they could get away with. Now the bill has come due, and its going to take all we have in the bank and more to make up for the last three years of ineptitude. Benson and DiSteffano should have to pay for this hire out of their own pockets. I'm not sure we can overcome the incompetence of their leadership with this historically strong program. We are now depending on luck more than anything to find the next successful head coach at the University of Colorado. We are going to be throwing money at the unknown.

IF we have to go to the Plan B, of those that have been discussed, I hope we don''t overpay for him. Neither DeRuyter or Mendenhall is worth what Butch Jones was being offered. Unfortunately, the cat is out of the bag.

Do we really want a guy we know without a doubt will accept? Doesn't that mean he's less attractive to other schools? I still think the best thing that has come out of this is the promise of facilities. No matter BJ's decision, we'll find a decent coach for the money we're floating, and we all know what a crapshoot the selection process is anyway. BJ may have turned out not be a good fit here for one reason or another.

Kind of a silly comment, actually. How many former Penn State head coaches are employed in that profession? How many former Texas head football coaches are employed in that profession? Cal? Washington? Florida State? Alabama? Seriously, that's a nutty comment.

IF we have to go to the Plan B, of those that have been discussed, I hope we don''t overpay for him. Neither DeRuyter or Mendenhall is worth what Butch Jones was being offered. Unfortunately, the cat is out of the bag.

No way they settle for less, hell, might even try to up the offer.

Quick look at the scorecard:

Pac 12 vs Big East
Boulder vs. Cincy
Facilities upgrade vs. facilities fading
Ton of money vs. let me check the couch cushion
CU vs. UC
Ability to be a hero with even a mediocre record vs. complaining that 9 wins isn't that great

That's 6-0 Colorado. Only thing holding him back would be assistants who don't want to leave, family that doesn't want to leave, or other drama that no one knows about.

Kind of a silly comment, actually. How many former Penn State head coaches are employed in that profession? How many former Texas head football coaches are employed in that profession? Cal? Washington? Florida State? Alabama? Seriously, that's a nutty comment.

It was meant to be silly. That's why I added the 'LOL' and began the second portion of the post with, "On a serious note..." I'm just trying to 'laugh' off the tension and anxiety. :)

Quick look at the scorecard:

Pac 12 vs Big East
Boulder vs. Cincy
Facilities upgrade vs. facilities fading
Ton of money vs. let me check the couch cushion
CU vs. UC
Ability to be a hero with even a mediocre record vs. complaining that 9 wins isn't that great

That's 6-0 Colorado. Only thing holding him back would be assistants who don't want to leave, family that doesn't want to leave, or other drama that no one knows about.

Cinci is a better team than CU. That is an indisputable fact. He may not want to deal with the rebuilding project.
Cinci is *apparently* making a serious effort at upping his salary, so money isn't an issue.
Moving is a pain in the ass.
Changing jobs is a pain in the ass.
It's easier to win 9 games at Cinci than it is to win 6 games at CU.
The media attention won't be nearly as glaring there as it would be here.

I am sure I could come up with more, but there are just as many reasons to stay as there are to go. I don't necessarily blame the guy for staying, I just wish we would have had a better idea of what his plans were prior to flying him out here, showing him around, making the offer, etc. He's wasted our time.

Back