What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can Tad get this thing turned around?

This team is much more talented than it's record, even with Scott missing a bunch of games and clearly not being healthy now.

I think what is missing is that guy who takes charge, who is the leader on the floor and in the huddle. He doesn't have to be liked, he does have to be respected. I don't think we have that at this point. Part is that we don't have the take charge guy. Dom could be but he isn't yet. Another part is that we seem to have some guys who aren't taking things seriously enough to give the appropriate respect to Tad or their teammates.

This year has probably been as difficult a year for Tad as any he has had in coaching. Tad will be Tad so we aren't going to see any angry outburst or public fingerpointing. at the same time it's a pretty good bet that Tad has already spent a lot of time thinking about the changes that he will make in the off-season to turn this thing around.

You can have talent and still not be a very good team.

Certainly, the Buffs have talent and are a mediocre team. Key players (an experienced and talented point guard) are missing; key roles (leadership) are inadequate; key functions (a little bit of almost everything - clutch shooting, defensive intensity, ball control, free throws, etc) are inconsistent. It seems the coach should have a lot to do with these issues, but I trust that Tad Boyle is more than competent to address these problems, in time. Maybe it was too easy the first few years, but now he will regroup and have to work hard in some of the areas that fell easily into place previously. I'm optimistic in the long run, but hard to be too enthusiastic about next year. It could be this year was a wake-up call for Tad, and will result in a more solid bball program down the road.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

Rough season for sure but will be there this Sunday. Cal was tough. Got in on a red eye that morning, worked thru the day and still made it just in time for the game. If I can pull that off, no reason not to get to the few remaining games. Also headed to Vegas for the Tourney. Maybe a miracle will happen, doubt it but will have a good time pulling for them.

Chemistry matters so much. You've got to get it just right. Look at Duke -- Sulaimon is booted and all of a sudden it's like a weight is off their shoulders. It's looking like a masterstroke by Coach K. Calipari finds a way to make it happen -- the chemistry he has built on D with all those egos is remarkable. Virginia, Gonzaga and Wisconsin have obviously hit the chemistry formula right as well. Not a coincidence that those are the top 5 or so teams in the rankings.

Wonder where we'd be at if we would have taken our lumps and lived through dom's growing pains in the non-con.

Crappy seasons happen. Great coaches can turn it back around. Hopefully tad is learning a lot and will be all the better for it. If he is as good as people think around here next could be a career defining moment.

A good coach with a good season now and then or someone that can actually have a chance at a KU type of job that a lot of people were scared about prior to the season tipoff.

I see flashes of talent on the team, but not enough to be really hopeful for a significant turn-around. I see it in DT and Wes but not consistent. In the Cal game, I really like how Wes seemed much more aggressive offensively (didn't shoot worth a darn) even with Scott on the floor.

A couple of my continual frustrations:

Players:
- Shooting confidence. Too many open looks are passed on.
- Getting shots blocked. Don't understand why our players can't create some shooting separation between them and a defender inside of 15'.
- The 1 foot pass. Have the confidence and aggressiveness to put the thing up or kick it out to a wing, but stop the 1-2 foot passes inside of 5 feet of the basket.
- Lazy defense. Are our arms so tired that we can't get them up on shooters.

Coaches:
- Why oh why can't we come up with in bounds plays that work?
- Why do we have such awful spacing in the offensive set? Too many hand offs and places where one defender can basically guard two guys.
- Wholesale player changes. Seems like we kill our own momentum sometimes. We don't have Kentucky with a potential NC team on the bench.

If I recall, he voiced some concerns prior to the start of the season. I thought he was just trying to lower expectations in order to exceed them. I guess his initial impression was correct... he knew that this season could occur. Wish he found a way to fix what he saw coming.

Will be interesting to see how Tad finishes this year and what happens in the off season. CU is a basketball program that could quickly fall by the wayside if a fix isn't in place for next year. We just don't have the program history to deal with consecutive down years.

Chemistry matters so much. You've got to get it just right. Look at Duke -- Sulaimon is booted and all of a sudden it's like a weight is off their shoulders. It's looking like a masterstroke by Coach K. Calipari finds a way to make it happen -- the chemistry he has built on D with all those egos is remarkable. Virginia, Gonzaga and Wisconsin have obviously hit the chemistry formula right as well. Not a coincidence that those are the top 5 or so teams in the rankings.
One guy can absolutely **** up a locker room. Been a part of that type of thing, we had a player like that. I was just watching the Bad Boys 30 for 30 earlier, Adrian Dantley was a cancer to their chemistry. They traded him, started winning. I'm not gonna point fingers in CU's case but it seems we have a problem in that area somewhere.

It will be interesting to see what kind of attrition occurs. Normally, you don't really look for a lot of attrition as a good thing, but in this case I think it would be very good.

As long as Colorado doesn't stand pat, I like their chances next year of a big turnaround.

I watch our guys pass up open three after open three and wonder if anyone, other than Ski, has a scorer's mentality. Teams don't even consider guarding us much outside the arc. It's almost as if they get yelled at in practice for not passing and trying to work it inside.

One guy can absolutely **** up a locker room. Been a part of that type of thing, we had a player like that. I was just watching the Bad Boys 30 for 30 earlier, Adrian Dantley was a cancer to their chemistry. They traded him, started winning. I'm not gonna point fingers in CU's case but it seems we have a problem in that area somewhere.

Seems to be a chemistry issue. I'm hoping that there is significant attrition to eliminate the problem players and move forward.

Will he turn it around?

Simple answer: No, he will not turn it around

• Boyle's recruiting has been lacking for 3 years (including this year).
  • In each of his seasons at CU his teams: A. Do not guard against 3pg B. Have the C at the top of the key, taking him out of plays in the paint C. Although he preaches uptempo to the media, his offense is stagnant.
  • When players come out of the game, there should be teaching moments (he did that early at CU), now he yells and does not teach. Perhaps higher expectations with the new A.D. that he is unable to achieve?
  • He is not adjusting to his players strengths.

It would be helpful if he took some accountability. I have not seen anything in recruiting numbers or quality that make me believe a positive change is on the way.

Simple answer: No, he will not turn it around

• Boyle's recruiting has been lacking for 3 years (including this year).
  • In each of his seasons at CU his teams: A. Do not guard against 3pg B. Have the C at the top of the key, taking him out of plays in the paint C. Although he preaches uptempo to the media, his offense is stagnant.
  • When players come out of the game, there should be teaching moments (he did that early at CU), now he yells and does not teach. Perhaps higher expectations with the new A.D. that he is unable to achieve?
  • He is not adjusting to his players strengths.

It would be helpful if he took some accountability. I have not seen anything in recruiting numbers or quality that make me believe a positive change is on the way.
Miller and Collier are excellent recruits. I agree with your second point. I think injuries have played a huge point in our downturn starting with Spencer last year. Josh is still in a lot of discomfort and I don't see him improving until next season. I think your assessment is a bit over the top. Tad certainly owns a lot of the blame for this season, but, to me, he's a proven excellent coach and I see no reason he won't turn it around.

From a mere ranking standpoint, don't think the 2013/2014 recruits were a let down. The 2015/2016 classes were a step back (at least at first glance)

From a mere ranking standpoint, don't think the 2013/2014 recruits were a let down. The 2015/2016 classes were a step back (at least at first glance)

2015 is a transfer and an open slot. I like the transfer a lot. The "open" I'll judge based on who fills it.

2016 is also way too early to judge. As a comparison, Tory Miller didn't look like much of a recruit as a senior in high school, but we got a bull by the end of his prep school year.

The combination of Miller & Gordon seems, to me anyway, to be far more effective than any frontcourt pairing that includes Josh Scott.

That's bad. We need Scott to be a man. I know he's been hurt, but even when he's in, he's been ineffective. This whole year has been an exersize in frustration.

The combination of Miller & Gordon seems, to me anyway, to be far more effective than any frontcourt pairing that includes Josh Scott.

That's bad. We need Scott to be a man. I know he's been hurt, but even when he's in, he's been ineffective. This whole year has been an exersize in frustration.

128.4 ORtg (#21 in the nation)
10.8% OReb (#200 in the nation)
7.5% Blk (#82 in the nation)
5.5% TO Rtg (#3 in the nation)
145th in the nation in fouls called per 40 minutes
88th in the nation in fouls drawn per 40 minutes

So yeah, Josh hasn't been amazing, but there is zero argument to be made that the team is better with him on the bench.

128.4 ORtg (#21 in the nation)
10.8% OReb (#200 in the nation)
7.5% Blk (#82 in the nation)
5.5% TO Rtg (#3 in the nation)
145th in the nation in fouls called per 40 minutes
88th in the nation in fouls drawn per 40 minutes

So yeah, Josh hasn't been amazing, but there is zero argument to be made that the team is better with him on the bench.
Goose what is your take on how Josh is being used offensively? For that matter, what about the offense strategy as a whole?

Goose what is your take on how Josh is being used offensively? For that matter, what about the offense strategy as a whole?

I don't understand it, but I'm going to hope that Tad is smarter than I am.

Last year, JG & I would talk about how any possession that Josh doesn't touch the ball is a wasted possession. Unfortunately, he's had some issues this year so it's been hard to get him going. Plus, the lack of a true PG is hurting us there. Josh has a good enough perimeter game that I understand having him handle the ball at the top of the key at times, I would just like to see it offset by more post ups for him where we clear out (possibly putting 3 guards and DT on the floor to counter him).

I'm confused why we aren't seeing more pick and rolls with Josh at the top. Maybe that's the intention and they just aren't executing.

I see what you're saying, but no. This is like the "does ski belong on the bench" debate. Josh is hurt, but he's still effective. Tory is aggressive on Offense (more so than wes), and will continue to get good minutes. He picks up a few too many cheap fouls IMO at the moment though.

Josh is the best player on this team.

Except he's a "walking wounded" and a shadow of himself. Which is still pretty good... finding ways to grit out about a double-double.

Anyway, Josh should be on the court as much as he can physically handle it. Tad needs to make sure that those minutes are managed.

Josh has not been able to be fully effective due to the health issues.

The other thing is, and the numbers that Goose posted bear this out, is that Josh hurt is still more effective than what he is given credit for.

Josh is one of those players who makes his contributions in a quiet way. He doesn't make spectacular dunks and no look passes and twisting shots from odd angles. He gets himself in position and when playing well takes little time or motion to either shoot or pass the ball.

A guy like Scott can have 15 points and 8 boards and not be noticed unless you are looking for him while another guy who puts down a couple flying dunks and handles the ball flying out on a couple breaks or elevates over the crowd for a big one handed rebound or shot block can get everyones attention and finish the game with 6 points and 5 turnovers.

A problem for Josh as well is that his game is a team game and when the team isn't functioning well as a unit his opportunities go down as well so again it looks like he isn't doing as much.

Does Josh 's back feel better outside of the 3 point line?

That's a whole other issue with this scheme and I'm not happy about it.

But to take your question seriously in terms of his back, I'm sure that he's not where he was with strength and fitness. Fighting for position on the block takes a lot out of you. He seems to be picking his spots much more than he was in this offense at the start of the season when he was healthy.

All I know is that Cal game made me want to stab somebody in the ear. There may be a good reason to have Josh handling the ball at the top of the key, but I'm not sure what it is. It sure does happen a lot, so I'm guessing it's on-purpose. It makes me want to scream, though.

I see what you're saying, but no. This is like the "does ski belong on the bench" debate. Josh is hurt, but he's still effective. Tory is aggressive on Offense (more so than wes), and will continue to get good minutes. He picks up a few too many cheap fouls IMO at the moment though.

I love Tory's game. Really excited about his development. But yeah, it's obvious has a way to go on defense. He's thinking too much.

I love Tory's game. Really excited about his development. But yeah, it's obvious has a way to go on defense. He's thinking too much.
Biggest thing I have seen is he has a tendency to narrow his base, instead of staying wide, and that allows him to get backed into the basket too much. Lots of potential. And that FT stroke...

Since we have all these doctors on allbuffs, maybe one of you assholes can go crack his back.

I know I'm a broken record, but every time I see Tory play, I see flashes of Thomas Gipson from KState. He's going to be a very good player for us.

Back