What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Charles Clark to Oregon

Hurts, but less so than JL. Depending on what happens with the DC search, could end up replacing the entire defensive coaching staff sans Jeffcoat. What a world.

This is starting to look like the Oakland Raiders and Al Davis scooping up the Broncos coaching staff year after year.

Makes you wonder if Van Malone and/or Vance Bedford were at CU's practice for a different reason. Both were great as DB coaches, not so great as DCs.

Wow. CU is a stepping stone for a coaching career at Oregon. Helfrich, Leavitt, Clark.

I guess SJSU and other mid-majors feel the same way about CU.

Makes you wonder if Van Malone and/or Vance Bedford were at CU's practice for a different reason. Both were great as DB coaches, not so great as DCs.

Uh oh, what does this mean for Art Briles being at practice; new QB coach?

One would have to think he probably doubled his salary. He has been with MM since the beginning.

One would have to think he probably doubled his salary. He has been with MM since the beginning.

Yep. Played for him at Ole Miss. Non-assistant staffer under him at Duke. Got his start under him at SJSU. Brought by him to CU as a full-time P5 assistant. That's a long history and there comes a time to go off on your own, I think. I don't have any hard feelings and based on him coaching through our bowl while keeping it quiet, I'd assume that this was handled professionally & honorably.

2ba.jpg

Yep. Played for him at Ole Miss. Non-assistant staffer under him at Duke. Got his start under him at SJSU. Brought by him to CU as a full-time P5 assistant. That's a long history and there comes a time to go off on your own, I think. I don't have any hard feelings and based on him coaching through our bowl while keeping it quiet, I'd assume that this was handled professionally & honorably.
Yep. He knows nothing other than MM. He seemed to be getting better every year. Easily replaceable, but definitely makes me think he got a hefty pay raise.

Yep. He knows nothing other than MM. He seemed to be getting better every year. Easily replaceable, but definitely makes me think he got a hefty pay raise.

He may also see opportunity to advance by sticking with JL when he gets his expected HC job in the next year or two.

I don't think JL gets a P5 job but I do think he is going to get a G5 job offer that he doesn't turn down since he doesn't have a lot of time to wait. Wonder if he might even consider Clark as a DC at the G5 level. It would be DC in name only since it will still be JLs defense but it's a fast track up in title.

Why has increasing assistant pool and restructuring staff lingered?

Inaction hurts

Just curious, why do some consider Clark "easily replaceable"?

Should be restated as "more easily replaceable than a lot of assistant spots".

1. Our HC is who drives the philosophy of how our CBs are used and how they are coached.
2. He is a CB Coach rather than a full Secondary Coach, so the role is more limited than at a lot of places.
3. His strength in recruiting is with the state of Georgia, north Florida (particularly Jacksonville) and Mississippi JUCOs. While CU may get some guys from those areas, we're simply not positioned geographically or as a Pac-12 member to do well enough there to outweigh what we'd get from an equal or better recruiter within our footprint (CA, TX, CO, AZ, HI, UT, NV, LA).

Clark is a good coach who did a very good job at CU. If he'd come back next year I'd have had no complaints. But I see the opening as an opportunity if the right hire is made.

The defensive performance, or lack thereof, becomes more understandable by the day.

Should be restated as "more easily replaceable than a lot of assistant spots".

1. Our HC is who drives the philosophy of how our CBs are used and how they are coached.
2. He is a CB Coach rather than a full Secondary Coach, so the role is more limited than at a lot of places.
3. His strength in recruiting is with the state of Georgia, north Florida (particularly Jacksonville) and Mississippi JUCOs. While CU may get some guys from those areas, we're simply not positioned geographically or as a Pac-12 member to do well enough there to outweigh what we'd get from an equal or better recruiter within our footprint (CA, TX, CO, AZ, HI, UT, NV, LA).

Clark is a good coach who did a very good job at CU. If he'd come back next year I'd have had no complaints. But I see the opening as an opportunity if the right hire is made.
Got it. Thanks. Coaching up the back of the defense will be critical next year. HCMM will earn every penny of his soon to be inflated salary.

Back