1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charleston Tourney: Dayton v. Colorado

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by HighFlyer1, Nov 11, 2012.

1. HighFlyer1

HighFlyer1 New Member

Hey Buffs fans,

Glad to see you guys are as excited as I am for the new season. Congratulations on the opening win and the historic success of last season. I have multiple relatives who are CU grads and Colorado residents, so I have always enjoyed following you all from afar. Your team obviously presents a very difficult challenge for my alma mater, Dayton, to open the tournament, but it should be an exciting and hard-fought game. I figured I would give you all a sense of who we are, and see what your thoughts are going into this game/tournament.

UD is led by two 5th year seniors, PG Kevin Dillard (6'1) and PF Josh Benson (6'9). After transferring from Southern Illinois, Dillard was 2nd team all league last year and is the best PG we have had in 2 decades, most likely. He can score, but is at his best breaking down defenders, drawing help and finding shooters or big men. He makes everyone else look better than they probably are. In a "poor" game to open the season, he had 12 pts (admittedly on 3-13), 10 assts, 6 rbs.

Benson missed the second half of last season with a torn ACL, but has returned nicely so far. He is a long and skinny player who gets out well in transition (though probably not as well as Roberson), has a nice post game where he uses his length and quickness, and has shown an 18-footer early this year.

Vee Sanford (6'3), junior transfer from Georgetown, will start at 2G. He had 18 in the first game, but its hard to say what we can expect of him going forward. He played almost none at Georgetown. But he has size and athleticism, and has shot well so far. If he can emerge as a double digit scorer, we should be pretty good.

Devin Oliver (6'7) is a junior glue guy at SF. Good rebounder, makes hustle plays, and was expected to take a step forward in production by the coaching staff. We haven't seen much of a jump, but he will be an 8-9ppg guy and a versatile defender.

Jalen Robinson (6'9, 240) is a big body freshman with a nice touch around the rim. He played very well in the exhibitions, but came back to earth in his first action against D1 competition. Robinson's spot in the lineup used to belong to 6'9 senior big man Matt Kavanaugh until Kavanaugh was suspended for the year for violating the school's conduct policy in some sort of sexual assault allegation.

Bench: good interior depth with freshman defender/athlete Devon Scott (6'8) and sophomore post Alex Gavrilovic (6'9), who is just recovering from mono. Our perimeter depth is severely lacking, however. Freshman Khari Price missing the first game with a concussion, and is again unlikely to play against CU. He is the only other true guard on the roster. Wing forwards RS sophomore Matt Derenbecker (6'7) and FR Dyshawn Pierre (6'6) will be forced to back up the SF and SG, while Sanford backs up at PG.

I would love to hear some thoughts on how you guys think we match up wiht one another. From what I can see, your sophomore back court will provide a formidable challenge for Dillard and Sanford. I worry about Benson, who is a bit fragile, going up against Roberson, and am curious to see your freshman Josh Scott go against our freshmen bigs, Jalen Robinson and Devon Scott (who were HS teammates). Hopefully our lack of depth doesn't come back to bite us. But, overall I don't see a clear advantage for either side. Of course, that's spoken like a true underdog. ;)

Good luck!

buffs04, btbuff and sweaty teets like this.
  2. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

we're gonna win.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Great write-up, HighFlyer1. Thank you for posting.

I think this is a very even matchup, so it's hard to call. Might come down to a battle of point guards, but I could also see them canceling each other out and the game coming down to how the young guys and bench players perform on the road early in the season.

I would say the biggest thing is, barring one of those crazy nights when one of us shoots like 70% from 3, the winner is going to be the team that is able to control the glass and avoid turnovers. In a game as close as this one looks to be, it should be decided by which team is able to earn extra possessions.

I just hope we get a good one and it's decided on the court with both teams bringing their A games. I'd hate to see one of us come out flat because the stage is too big for the young guys/role guys.

4. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Highflyer? That name seems kind of familiar.... :huh:

5. Buffnik

Yeah. Did you know he was a Dayton fan? News to me.

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Must be an amendment 64 fan.

7. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Weird things happen to people in Iowa.... :huh:

8. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Should be an extremely competitive and close game, unless one of our teams simply has one of those nights where everything goes right. Excellent opportunity for one of us to put a solid win in our back pocket that will come in handy in March. Looking forward to it. I remember Archie very well from his days at NCSU a decade ago.

Go Buffs

9. HighFlyer1

HighFlyer1 New Member

Agreed that it seems like an even matchup where the team's strengths seem to mirror one another. And these early season tourneys are such a crapshoot. As for your guards, Dinwiddle and Booker, which plays PG and which SG?

Afraid I don't understand the HighFlyer1 references. I figured I would go double meaning (1) in support of the Dayton Flyers and (2) a tip of the cap to a law you all passed last week.

10. Buffnik

Dinwiddie is the PG. That was his natural position, but he was eased in last year by playing off guard. Ski is sliding into the starting lineup at the '2' from his 6th man role last year. Until our two freshman PGs develop, Ski is probably the primary backup to Dinwiddie at the '1'.

(We have a long-time poster here who goes by Highflyer. That's what we're joking about. :smile2: )

11. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

Dinwiddie is the Startng PG, but Booker will play some point with the 2nd unit. The way our offense works you won't notice much of a difference other than on the break when Dinwiddie will usually catch the outlet pass.

12. jgisland

This.

I have never seen Dillard play, but on paper he looks like he does get a lot of assists but also has quite a few TO's, if he takes care of the ball and is efficient with his shooting CU is going to have to play extremely well to wn.

13. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

All I know is that whomever wins this game better kick the **** out of Baylor.

14. Buffnik

fify

:smile2:

15. EricMetcalfe

EricMetcalfe Member

Defensively, I wouldn't be surprised to see Booker and Dinwiddie cross-match. Askia will probably be asked to "heat up" the ball, and Spencer has been outstanding when guarding anyone's 2.

16. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

I think we'll see a lot of Sabatino guarding the ball handler all year, just like in the 2nd half against Wofford.

17. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

Game will begin at 10am. Televised on ESPN3.

Quick Stat preview. http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2012/11/15/2012-11-15_dayton_vs_colorado

PPGFG%FT%3P%RPGORPGDRPGAPGTPGSPGBPGFPG
    UD74.052.871.450.033.012.021.020.016.05.03.018.0
    CU74.044.777.833.338.08.030.010.010.05.06.012.0
    UD Opponents61.039.368.827.330.014.016.014.015.03.05.013.0
    CU Opponents59.036.1100.037.134.09.025.013.013.03.02.024.0

Even at a quick glance and one games worth of stats you can tell this could be a competitive matchup. Of course we played Wofford and they played Arkansas State...

18. jgisland

Per Boyle in his post practice comments he said that a NBA scout told him there is more NBA talent in the Charleston tournament than in any other tournament.

19. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

that is because that is where the buffs are playing :thumbsup:

20. HighFlyer1

HighFlyer1 New Member

Yes, the reason I asked is dinwiddle is a big pg. I would guess Dillard, who is a smaller and thinner player, will guard Booker and sanford or Oliver will guard dinwiddle.

As for Dillard's to's, he did have 5 in game one. But he averaged over 2:1 assists: turnovers, so it's not a huge issue. He initiates 90% of our offense, so he will turn it over a bit. But he is a real wizard with the ball and fits passes into tight windows.

21. HighFlyer1

HighFlyer1 New Member

UD Coach Archie Miller on Colorado: “They’re really a good team, extremely well coached, very disciplined. They don’t beat themselves. They make you work on both ends of the floor. The biggest thing for us will be our ability to stop them in transition. They really, really run the ball down your throat. They can put fouls on you in a hurry getting the ball inside. Dinwiddie, in particular, is lethal in transition. Down at the other end, it’s not going to be one pass, two pass, shot. You’re not going to have success against them early in the shot clock. You’re going to have to really work and play team ball.”

I wish I could watch this game. This Dinwiddie sounds like an intriguing player.

22. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Dinwiddie, if called on, is a beast of a PG who can really score. He picks his shots though. It's so nice having an actual PG after four years of Nate.

The interesting battle, and probably the crucial one, will be Chen and Dinwiddie against Dillard. They are the ones who are gonna guard him.

23. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Nate Hate!

You're still pissed off because you're his identical twin, right?

24. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Well I won't be getting any school learning done during class on Thursday...

:gobuffs:

25. Buffnik

And this particular Thursday you actually have an excuse. :thumbsup:

:smile2:

26. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

Me too! Bringing the laptop and watching the game! I have class from 9 -12 on Thursdays. Gotta be there for participation points :(

27. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

:lol:.....truth

Yeah I've got 11-12:15. No laptop allowed in my class, but my phone will suffice for a hour and fifteen.

28. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Just gonna go ahead and take a sick day from my 10 am :nod:

29. shang

shang Member

Game is at 10am on thursday, espn3... does anyone know how to access the video coverage?

thx in advance....

30. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

Espn3.com