What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian McCaffery blows of Stanford bowl game

Outside of Denver, he's not beloved. Never had the national commercials like Marino did, for example. He's respected nationally, but he's only loved locally.
But that has nothing to do with his decision not to play for the Colts (maybe except for Colt fans). It's never even really mentioned, so this idea that fans will hold this against a player their whole career is silly.

I remember when John Elway refused to play for the team that drafted him - it was the ultimate selfish move and fans never let him forget it. Just think how beloved he would have been if he didn't have that dark cloud hanging over him the rest of his life.

While the circumstances are different, there does seem to be trend amongst Stanford football standouts to put themselves above the norms.

One dark cloud over John Elway's head is booze and a failed marriage. Lack of money and fame have never been his demon.

It's very similar. You're calling the guy greedy because of this decision considering his family is wealthy. The MacIntyre's are wealthy, but Jay Mac's dream was to earn a football scholarship so is it not also greedy to give his kid a scholarship?

I didn't call the guy greedy. I said that any of you who are arguing that his draft position is important due to the money are saying that he's being greedy. And that if that is his motivation then it makes him look worse than if it's just a matter of turning the page on his current teammates to focus on his bigger dream.

I think this type of move only makes sense for certain players. The vast majority of players (even stars) can enhance their stock playing good competition. I think several FSU players made themselves some money last night.

Ironically, I don't see McCaffery as a hugely successful NFL player.

I also think Jake Butt gets drafted higher, knee injury and all.

I think this type of move only makes sense for certain players. The vast majority of players (even stars) can enhance their stock playing good competition. I think several FSU players made themselves some money last night.

If I was a GM deciding between Fournette and Cook to take the 1st RB off the board, Cook made a major move ahead last night. Unless Fournette tests like Bo or Deion while Cook doesn't look special, I'm picking Cook.

It's very similar. You're calling the guy greedy because of this decision considering his family is wealthy. The MacIntyre's are wealthy, but Jay Mac's dream was to earn a football scholarship so is it not also greedy to give his kid a scholarship?

The lax scholly was a shrewd marketing move to hedge against the perception of any conflict of interest.

Pretty safe to assume that the Woman's Lax scholarship endowment will be at least indirectly covered by his well earned salary bump.

MacIntyre is playing his cards correctly.

Straw man arguments are abundant in this thread.

He did what was best for him. I don't like it as a fan of the college game (not an NFL fan), but it was his choice. We will see more of this in the future. Bowl games are going to become more meaningless in the future, unless it's a top tier bowl like the Rose or CFB playoffs. I think universities or th NCAA should carry draft insurance to mitigate this going forward.

People do have short memories. People excuse Von Miller if they are a Broncos fan, but I'll never forget him putting up an icon of his horse collar of speedy on twitter. I can hold my own grudge. Some can with McCaffery, but he'll be embraced by whatever team drafts him.

If I was a GM deciding between Fournette and Cook to take the 1st RB off the board, Cook made a major move ahead last night. Unless Fournette tests like Bo or Deion while Cook doesn't look special, I'm picking Cook.

But Cook had been the best all year. Fournette has been injured most of the year and couldn't run against Bama.

Fournette was killed by the fact that the NFL doesn't draft guys until they are 3 years removed from HS. Dude would have been better to sit out this entire year imo.

If the draft was held tomorrow maybe, but by April I doubt one Orange Bowl performance weighs that heavily against a full body of work.

Cook may certainly go ahead of McCaffrey, but I suspect that would have been the case before this decision anyway.

I have a foggy memory of players getting insurance policies for possibilities like this. May have been as much as 20 years ago and I don't remember the sport(s), but definitely remember it was college athletes insuring against injury, before pro contracts. How much would Stanford have to pay Lloyds for a $20 million policy to cover 1 game?

why not make the bowl game part of the scholarship package?
why not skip the last 2 regular season games, if your team is 3 - 6 and the teams are bad?

i really don't have a problem with his choice, i just hope I'd make the other one

This may be a part of it as well. Last season he had a great year, talk of the nation. This year he had a good season but not great. Take away some of the other threats and let the defense focus on him more and he loses some effectiveness. UNC isn't a great defense but good enough that he may not have wanted to go out on a less than spectacular game.

I wonder if McCaffrey is going to end up following the footsteps of Reggie Bush. Bush was a great player in college, an all-purpose game changer. In the pros he has had a decent career but never became a star, not quite big enough to be every down running back, decent receiver but not as effective against the superior athletes in pro defenses. He may want to protect his "star " status knowing that with his slight build he may not get the giant second contract.

If I were an NFL GM is would hold this against him. Not as a giant issue but maybe moving the balance against him in a close decision. I want guys who are about the team.

Butt will be hurt in the draft because of the injury but I don't think as much as a lot of people are making it out to be. The tweet from Harbaugh said it was an ACL or an MCL. He was walking after the injury. He had a knee injury last February and was back playing in time for fall camp.

In the NFL injuries are a part of the game, everyone is going to get injured at some point. Do you want a guy who is going to not play because he wants to "protect himself" or do you want a guy who puts team first and will do everything he can to be there when the ball is kicked off.

I never criticize a guy who leaves the game to protect his health but if you are on a team be there for the team, and the whole season if you can.

Maybe this injury will cause Butt to fall to where the Broncos can grab him, don't think he would have been available to them otherwise.

I'd imagine McCaffery was given a lot of "advice." Maybe it was bad advice. But you know his dad has an agent who could've offered "free" advice. So Christian probably had more "advisors" in his ear than most kids coming out of college do.

Also, remember, Eddie Mac had his knee completely obliterated against the Giants the day before 9/11. So, maybe, that played into it as well.

I remember when John Elway refused to play for the team that drafted him - it was the ultimate selfish move and fans never let him forget it. Just think how beloved he would have been if he didn't have that dark cloud hanging over him the rest of his life.
Sure he did, he was drafted by the Yankees.

I'd assume a GM of a pro team would prefer to see a prospect on the big stage against solid competition in a bowl game.

I've seen players launch their draft stock with a huge bowl game. Remember when Jarvis Moss had like 4 sacks for Florida and then the Broncos took him with their 1st pick?

So Latavius Murray, William Gholston, Eddie Lacy, Jamie Collins, Le'Veon Bell and any other under market free agent should sit out today, and the playoffs since none of their teams have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl? There is no difference between this and McCaffrey, Fornette, Peppers etc.
What?? Eddie Lacy was already hurt and is on IR, but Latavius Murray and Le'Veon Bell don't have legit shot at the Super Bowl?? What are you talking about?

You choose to see this debate as being settled by $$$$ as it relates to draft stock.

I am framing the debate as to what is best for the NFL and the College game. How is it good for the NFL for when money politics of the pro draft is removing exposure of elite players from the college fanbase?

Do you know who isn't on ESPN's top plays tonight? Christian McCaffrey. Why? Because the Cleveland Browns or some other NFL team might pay him an amount that 99.99 percent of Americans will never earn.
This is just it. You're advocating for the college game. We're advocating for the player.

I get it. Christian can't take any risks because of the money. Otherwise, it's going to be hard to get his grammy who raised him out of low income housing.

He comes from a wealthy family, people. If it's about the money, that's greed without an attached need to change his circumstances. So we should end that line of argument because if it is about the money then it just makes him look worse.

This is about him living his dream of the NFL. That's fine. But it's a selfish decision where he decided he was done with his team and teammates because he was ready to turn the page on that chapter of his life and focus on a pro career. Draft position doesn't impact him other than with it being an ego bump if he gets picked higher.
Got it. So kids from rich families shouldn't make decisions about their future based on money, and you and others here on this board say so? GTFO with that weak ****.

He could just as likely drink a cup of coffee in the league and fall back on his degree to become a working stiff like the rest of us.

I agree that the NFL draft stock fanbois have already forgotten he hasn't played.

The memory of College football fans is pretty long. It's not to be underestimated.
Wrong. He actually isn't going to have a degree to fall back on because he is leaving early. So making sure he is drafted as high as possible is even more important.

Got it. So kids from rich families shouldn't make decisions about their future based on money, and you and others here on this board say so? GTFO with that weak ****.

It is true that Christian McCaffrey could never hope to afford real estate in Palo Alto without either becoming a first round draft pick in the NFL or a dot-com billionaire.

Wrong. He actually isn't going to have a degree to fall back on because he is leaving early. So making sure he is drafted as high as possible is even more important.

Some insurance company or sales force would be happy to hire CM as the customer face to their company.

Did I say that?

I said that others were arguing that money and the risk to it is what justifies his decision. I said that if this is true, it looks bad because the money at risk isn't life-changing for him or his family. I said that I suspect this isn't the reason. That the reason was that his heart wasn't with college football and his team any more, so he was turning the page and focusing on best preparing for his NFL dream. Which is selfish -- and that's not something I necessarily consider a bad thing. There are times in life to be selfish. But as I've said a number of times, it would bother me if I was his teammate and I don't like this if it's a trend now.

I'm not telling him how to live his life. He made a call and I think it's bush league I guess team is different now. It seems now, you play for yourself. Sorry but I have zero respect for that. All good though, hope the best for him.

Did I say that?

I said that others were arguing that money and the risk to it is what justifies his decision. I said that if this is true, it looks bad because the money at risk isn't life-changing for him or his family. I said that I suspect this isn't the reason. That the reason was that his heart wasn't with college football and his team any more, so he was turning the page and focusing on best preparing for his NFL dream. Which is selfish -- and that's not something I necessarily consider a bad thing. There are times in life to be selfish. But as I've said a number of times, it would bother me if I was his teammate and I don't like this if it's a trend now.
The monetary difference between a 1st round and say 4th or 5th round (or potentially lower if he were to blow out his ACL or Achilles) is pretty substantial, along with a team's willingness to stick with a player through poor play, injury, off-field issues, etc. as well as pecking order for playing time.

Back