What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian Powell

Under. Our depth on oline is a huge question mark (does this have to be the case every freaking year? :cry:).

Top 8, if healthy, are pretty good. One can't judge them at all by the last two years of the Steve Marshall/EB/WB FUBAR on offense. Th O-line was always behind the eight ball trying to figure out complex NFL-like blocking schemes, putting them a full step behind the "D"; hence the repeated "it only takes one guy to break down" claims of woe from the old coachs. They were thinking, not playing FB!

I say the O-line will be fine.

I'm not even sure we have a solid starting five on the OL, let alone a good top 8.

How many games we have like 13? Maybe 12? If he averages like 70 a game, he's almost to 1000 in a 13 game season. At 12, he's like 840. Throw in a few hundred yard games, he might be able to get there. Who is the last 1000 yard rusher we've had anyway?

Under. Playing from behind and injuries are going to keep him from hitting the goal.

I know I am the eternal optimist Kool-Aid addict on here so this may come as a shock but I go under. Because:
1.) I think we are going to be pretty pass heavy
2.) I think we are going to spread the ball around to some of our shiftier backs which seems to be more common in the offense we are going to run than a power back
3.) Injuries could slow him down because of his style of running

Under. Playing from behind and injuries are going to keep him from hitting the goal.

Injuries could obviously be a major issue, but I'm not sure I buy the who playing from behind thing being a factor. In ten games last year, he ran for about 700 yards; as we all know, in most of those games we were playing from behind. If this offense is a little more effective in terms of moving the ball, then I would expect him to be able to continue to gain yardage even if we've fallen behind in the majority of our games. Also, the SJSU offense last year had a 1000 yard rusher on about 200 carries (although he didn't go over the 1000 yard mark until their 13th game, the bowl game) so I wouldn't say that the offense is one that neglects the run game. Powell had about 160 carries last year, and again, missed two games and only had one carry against CSU.

61 RBs went for 1,000 yards or more in college football last year. That's less than half the teams, especially when you consider than some of the run-first offenses had multiple guys go over the mark. It's not an easy number to get to for an individual in these days of using multiple RBs and passing as much or more as running.

61 RBs went for 1,000 yards or more in college football last year. That's less than half the teams, especially when you consider than some of the run-first offenses had multiple guys go over the mark. It's not an easy number to get to for an individual in these days of using multiple RBs and passing as much or more as running.

True.

Interesting to note that six PAC-12 teams had a 1,000 yard rusher and two others had a 900-yard rusher. Another number to watch is the touchdowns. Powell ranked 13th amongst PAC-12 running backs in that category last season. That is not so good for a primary running back.

Under. Last year as a team CU rushed for 1,492 yards (no including QBs). SJSU rushed for 1,670. I'm guessing we end up with 350 - 375 team carries (4.0 - 4.5 ypc) to get a similar output of 1,500 - 1,700 total yards. I see Abron, Jones and Ford accounting for 150 - 175 (maybe more) leaving Powell with 200 or less. I don't think Powell averages 5.0 ypc to get over the mark.

How many games we have like 13? Maybe 12? If he averages like 70 a game, he's almost to 1000 in a 13 game season. At 12, he's like 840. Throw in a few hundred yard games, he might be able to get there. Who is the last 1000 yard rusher we've had anyway?
Hugh Charles, 2005, if you count bowl game

True.

Interesting to note that six PAC-12 teams had a 1,000 yard rusher and two others had a 900-yard rusher. Another number to watch is the touchdowns. Powell ranked 13th amongst PAC-12 running backs in that category last season. That is not so good for a primary running back.
True but he also essentially missed two games which likely dragged him down a couple spots.

I'm going under just because we are a pass first team, I'm guess he goes for 850 and 16 touchdowns.

I do not tthink they are going to try to run to move the chains. Maybe 15 to 18 carries a game for Powell. Without a better line I doubt he gets to 1000.

True but he also essentially missed two games which likely dragged him down a couple spots.

I'm going under just because we are a pass first team, I'm guess he goes for 850 and 16 touchdowns.

Missed games still count. 16 TDs would have tied him for 5th in the conference last season. That is a monster season.

Saying this is a throwing offense isn't accurate (2009 Nevada: 345 yrd/gm rushing, 161 passing, with three 1000 yd rushers), and I don't buy that we're necessarily a pass-first team: MM will play to whatever strengths we have and weaknesses he sees opposite us (in other words, game day coaching for a change). Execution is king, and we obviously don't have Kaepernick nor will we play against WAC defenses. So this depends a lot on Wood (or Gerhke). We have recently sucked so badly and there is a lot of movement in the offense leading to frequent substitutions, so I'm picking under.

Missed games still count. 16 TDs would have tied him for 5th in the conference last season. That is a monster season.
They do, but those two games he still was dragged down eight spots because of it. Last year was also his first season as a RB, right?

They do, but those two games he still was dragged down eight spots because of it. Last year was also his first season as a RB, right?

He missed one game due to just not being put into the lineup. He missed the better part of two games due to injury, that's not exactly a positive to point to because the cumulative effect on RBs can be brutal.

Your assumption that it cost him eight spots is suspect as well.

Saying this is a throwing offense isn't accurate (2009 Nevada: 345 yrd/gm rushing, 161 passing, with three 1000 yd rushers), and I don't buy that we're necessarily a pass-first team: MM will play to whatever strengths we have and weaknesses he sees opposite us (in other words, game day coaching for a change). Execution is king, and we obviously don't have Kaepernick nor will we play against WAC defenses. So this depends a lot on Wood (or Gerhke). We have recently sucked so badly and there is a lot of movement in the offense leading to frequent substitutions, so I'm picking under.
Our offense is not Nevada s

under.

passing offense. questions on the o-line. possible concussion issues. style of running.

but, if he goes over, i think it will mean we've won a few more games than expected so :woot:

They do, but those two games he still was dragged down eight spots because of it. Last year was also his first season as a RB, right?[/QUOTE]

As a TB, yes. He had more than twice as many carries last season (158), as he did in 3 entire years of HS ball where he was primarily a defensive lineman and used only occasionally at FB (71 carries in 3 yrs.)!

He still has a ton to learn about totin' the rock.

Under.

It's possible we end up being more of a passing team under MacIntyre and it will be a requirement for the division we play in the Pac-12.

No prediction here, but if he achieves the over, we will have hit the high water mark of my expectations - still able to run the ball late in games because they are close or we are working the clock.

Under.

It's possible we end up being more of a passing team under MacIntyre and it will be a requirement for the division we play in the Pac-12.

Under.

Three of the teams in our division (Arizona, UCLA and Arizona State) were top 25 rushing offenses (total rushing yards) last year. Utah featured a 1000 yard rusher and USC featured 900 and 700 yard rushers. Not sure if I would paint the division as one that de-emphasizes the run. On the flip side, only Utah had a defense in the top 50 against the run.

Last edited:
Under. Only one 1000+ yard rusher at SJSU during MacIntyre's 3 years and his net was 1025. Plus, as others have stated, Powell's style does not lend itself to a full season and our o-line won't be very good.

Under. Questions on the offensive line, most talented offensive player is a WR, we'll be down and forced to throw a lot and there's two other talented backs in the backfield.

Under for all these reasons, plus we'll have more of an emphasis on the passing game this year.

Under for all these reasons, plus we'll have more of an emphasis on the passing game this year.

Not a question for Carolina specifically, but a lot of people keep talking about us featuring a very pass heavy offense under Big Mac and company; it almost sounds like people are expecting a Mike Leach, "Air Raid" type offense. When I look at the SJSU stats from last year, it looks like they had about 470 passing attempts and about 450 rushing attempts on the season, pretty balanced. Are we thinking that we just have more playmakers in the receiving corps and that the offense will be tailored to be more pass heavy to take advantage?

Not a question for Carolina specifically, but a lot of people keep talking about us featuring a very pass heavy offense under Big Mac and company; it almost sounds like people are expecting a Mike Leach, "Air Raid" type offense. When I look at the SJSU stats from last year, it looks like they had about 470 passing attempts and about 450 rushing attempts on the season, pretty balanced. Are we thinking that we just have more playmakers in the receiving corps and that the offense will be tailored to be more pass heavy to take advantage?

Fair point, but they also had 4-5 relatively easy wins so they probably had more running plays late in those games. On the flip side we actually had more running plays than pass plays last year and we were out of a number of games early.

Back