What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cliff Harris suspended again

Unfortunately, I have personal interest in this subject. Not saying he doesn't have CTE, but I do doubt it.

1. He didn't play a position that takes a lot of head banging. Could have had enough blows, but somewhat unlikely.
2. He didn't play long enough. (doesn't rule it out by itself).
3. Most importantly, CTE has a time element. It's the number of blows and then "Time" for the changes in the brain to manifest.

From the Brain Injury Research Institute:
The brain of an individual who suffers from chronic traumatic encephalopathy gradually deteriorates and will over time end up losing mass. I think he's too young to be experiencing these changes.

Interesting. When I coached, we were told that concussions in young people were cumulative, and even if they went a year or two without any, it was the total number over time that could pull them from sports. Childhood concussions (falling off a wall, getting hit with a baseball, etc.) were considered significant and counted toward the cumulative number later.
I really don't know, that's just what we were told. I wasn't taking chances with my kids or anyone else's.

Unfortunately, I have personal interest in this subject. Not saying he doesn't have CTE, but I do doubt it.

1. He didn't play a position that takes a lot of head banging. Could have had enough blows, but somewhat unlikely.
2. He didn't play long enough. (doesn't rule it out by itself).
3. Most importantly, CTE has a time element. It's the number of blows and then "Time" for the changes in the brain to manifest.

From the Brain Injury Research Institute:
The brain of an individual who suffers from chronic traumatic encephalopathy gradually deteriorates and will over time end up losing mass. I think he's too young to be experiencing these changes.

All of this makes sense. You have obviously put more time and energy into researching it than I have.

One other element I might add against the CTE argument. This is a guy for whom irrational and highly unpredictable behavior isn't new. Did he have CTE coming out of high school or even before because he exhibited hard to explain behaviors early in college and there were some questions about him in high school, questions that were ignored because of his superior athletic talents.

In the setting that I work in we do commonly see a wide variety of mental illness in high school kids from the full range of backgrounds. It is all to common for these kids to seek to "self-medicate" with various substances. I'm the last person you would want making diagnosis but this guys behavior over a long term certainly at least begs the question.

It was my understanding that CTE can't be diagnosed until after death.

But I'd try to get my client off with that defense, too.
The psychiatrist who gave that diagnosis was a neutral court-appointed MD, and not anyone hired by the defense. Harris has brain injuries and drug addiction; he was diagnosed as unable to cooperate in his defense after he bizarrely set a small patch of grass on fire in Fresno and was involuntarily hospitalized. Dude is mentally ill, for real. All of his crimes are minor; he is on the edge between incarceration and on the street. Just a real sad story. P.S.--He was on an NFL roster like 3 years ago. He's only 25. It's mental illness, so stop laughing.

The psychiatrist who gave that diagnosis was a neutral court-appointed MD, and not anyone hired by the defense. Harris has brain injuries and drug addiction; he was diagnosed as unable to cooperate in his defense after he bizarrely set a small patch of grass on fire in Fresno and was involuntarily hospitalized. Dude is mentally ill, for real. All of his crimes are minor; he is on the edge between incarceration and on the street. Just a real sad story. P.S.--He was on an NFL roster like 3 years ago. He's only 25. It's mental illness, so stop laughing.

Amen.

Having interaction with a few people with mental illness and addiction issues, I hope he has someone looking out for him. It is a really bad place even with caring family. Without it, homelessness and premature death seem too common. Really sad.

Post from Harris' mother on Nov. 15, very sad to see your son slipping away.
cliffs-momjpg-1f0e3cdb8b9226ad.jpg

Who is Cliff Harris?
Here ... Let me google that for you.

Wow. That made me feel like a dick. :(

I worry about my kids all the time. I've had sleepless nights when they were out and I couldn't get hold of them. Stuff like that. So I know the feeling of angst over a child. But nothing I've gone through compares, even an iota, to what this mom is going through. My heart and prayers go out to her and her son. I hope God brings him home.

I speak from experience. My daughter was concussed when she developed Viral Meningitis at the age of 15. It changed her whole personality. This was her only concussion that we are aware of. I think like all injuries, diseases and addictions, everyone's body handles differently. Some people (Cam Newton) can have many, while some (like my daughter) it only takes one...I am not a Dr. so I am not sure.
I am sure it changed my daughter big time. She was always a happy go lucky and positive person. She was in the hospital for 10 days, and it was really scary for a while there, viral meningitis can kill. When she got out, her whole personality was different immediate. She became more cynical, more angry and a lot shorter temper and struggled in classes where she was honor roll student prior. Things she always enjoyed doing stopped. while still being treated at follow up appointments is when she was diagnosed with having a concussion. The Dr stated that when you have viral meningitis it causes swelling in the brain, so much it causes the concussion. I love my daughter of course and she is still a great and nice young woman, but she is not as nice, outgoing and bubbly as she always was.
Good luck to Cliff and his mother. There will be some trying times in their future.

I speak from experience. My daughter was concussed when she developed Viral Meningitis at the age of 15. It changed her whole personality. This was her only concussion that we are aware of. I think like all injuries, diseases and addictions, everyone's body handles differently. Some people (Cam Newton) can have many, while some (like my daughter) it only takes one...I am not a Dr. so I am not sure.
I am sure it changed my daughter big time. She was always a happy go lucky and positive person. She was in the hospital for 10 days, and it was really scary for a while there, viral meningitis can kill. When she got out, her whole personality was different immediate. She became more cynical, more angry and a lot shorter temper and struggled in classes where she was honor roll student prior. Things she always enjoyed doing stopped. while still being treated at follow up appointments is when she was diagnosed with having a concussion. The Dr stated that when you have viral meningitis it causes swelling in the brain, so much it causes the concussion. I love my daughter of course and she is still a great and nice young woman, but she is not as nice, outgoing and bubbly as she always was.
Good luck to Cliff and his mother. There will be some trying times in their future.
I'm sorry to hear that. That must have been terrible as parents. I had some really serious health problems as a senior and got pretty angry about it. Only now as a parent can I appreciate how hard it must have been on my parents.

Back