What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

Jimbo was a coordinator at a major school starting in 1993 and didn’t take ahead job until 2010

He accepted an offer with UAB in 2006, but his contract was not approved. He then was a HCIW for three years at FSU before he became head coach. It is an abnormal career path, which means some scrutiny/vetting is needed before just giving Venables the keys because of name recognition.

Has he interviewed for many jobs that we know of? I’ve just assumed he must come off terribly in interviews.

I would have to think he has talked to schools.

Of course there is an adjustment, but I think a lot of CU fans think the learning curve is impossible, which just seems strange.

As far as Leavitt, would be interested to hear why he is a good fit in CU's situation. We are trying to take the next step as a program, so what exactly does his time at USF give so many people this confidence he is a great fit?

He had a positive impact while he was here, and I think its hard to deny that. He'd like to be a head coach one more time, and he loved Boulder. When you're making a change or talking about it, its natural to start with the people who have connections here (Leavitt, Miles, and Barnett) before you start looking outside your program.

He had a positive impact while he was here, and I think its hard to deny that. He'd like to be a head coach one more time, and he loved Boulder. When you're making a change or talking about it, its natural to start with the people who have connections here (Leavitt, Miles, and Barnett) before you start looking outside your program.
Didn't his wife and kids stay here? I thought I read that they loved Boulder so much they stayed in town.

Huh. I thought I did read that in the chat he did last week.
I'm not saying Howell is the gospel here, and I can see a scenario where 7-5 with the chance at an 8th win in a bowl game keeps him safe, but I do believe that scenario starts with beating Wazzu this weekend, and is followed up by beating what could be another top 25 win against Utah next weekend. Lose this one to go 5-5 and I think 6-6 is the absolute best they can do and that's not going to be enough.

What could be the best thing for both parties involved is for CU to lose this weekend, but beat Utah and Cal and then whatever in the bowl game. That'd take them to 7-6/8-5 to end the season, and would probably be a mutual parting of ways, where MM finds another job and RG gets to finally hire a football coach.

So we’re taking anyone that hasn’t been a head coach off the list? I’m assuming him staying put has something to do with the 5 yr $12 mil extension he got making him the highest paid assistant ever.
Sorry, clarification.

Venables has been a name out there for a long time, sometimes hot.

But he’s never landed a job. Two reasons have been reported: 1) doesn’t interview well; 2) perfectly happy bring career DC especially current job.

Maybe KSU, but that’s probably it.

He had an impact.

But what about his HC background suggests he can take a team to championship level?

Also, CU fans are too fixated on "inside" people.

I'm not saying Howell is the gospel here, and I can see a scenario where 7-5 with the chance at an 8th win in a bowl game keeps him safe, but I do believe that scenario starts with beating Wazzu this weekend, and is followed up by beating what could be another top 25 win against Utah next weekend. Lose this one to go 5-5 and I think 6-6 is the absolute best they can do and that's not going to be enough.

What could be the best thing for both parties involved is for CU to lose this weekend, but beat Utah and Cal and then whatever in the bowl game. That'd take them to 7-6/8-5 to end the season, and would probably be a mutual parting of ways, where MM finds another job and RG gets to finally hire a football coach.

I'm not either, but I don't believe he'd be talking like this if no shot in hell of moving on from HCMM at the end of the year. I think he's going to get another job one way or the other, though-He'd fit really well at New Mexico, and I'm sure San Jose State would jump all over him if they move on from Brent Brennan or whoever coaches out there now.

He had an impact.

But what about his HC background suggests he can take a team to championship level?

Also, CU fans are too fixated on "inside" people.

Hmmmm didn't he have South Florida as high as #2 in the country at one point?

Let's remember the environment in which RG inked MM's extension.

1. National COY.
2. Embarrassed at Alamo Bowl.

From post game reports, it sounded like RG was pissed at the bowl game performance.

Given that, how do you think he sold the extension to the regents?

Did he
A. Go all in and say HCMM was THE man, and we had to give him raise and make we sure keep him, or
B. He's performed, he got COY recognition, a raise and extension are something that he's earned and it's something we have to do if we want to have a shred of a decent reputation if/when we hire another coach

One of those is hard to walk back 2 years later, the other one - not so much.

Given what we know about RG, which pitch do you really think he made?
I believe that RG was mostly interested in resetting the pay scale to the middle of the pack instead of it being a bottom of the pack job. MM had enough juice at the time to justify a necessary move and RG could do that while increasing the assistant pool without going into the red.

The AD is circling the wagons.

Literally came here to post if this might have any behind the scenes meaning (mostly out of hope for Mac to be fired). And yes I know it’s stupid to think it really means anything, but what are the “logistics” as it worked well the times I attended.

I'm not either, but I don't believe he'd be talking like this if no shot in hell of moving on from HCMM at the end of the year. I think he's going to get another job one way or the other, though-He'd fit really well at New Mexico, and I'm sure San Jose State would jump all over him if they move on from Brent Brennan or whoever coaches out there now.
He can't go to New Mexico, Goddamnit :D.

Actually, Fate brewing (host of the show) just declared bankruptcy and is closing their lafayette location. Going out of business. In this case, very conveniently.

The best scenario would be for Jimmy Sexton to get MM firmly in the mix at Rutgers, Maryland, KU, Ga Tech or Vandy (if Johnson and/or Mason are let go). Easy transition to another P5 school. Similar salaries probably that would almost assuredly offset what CU owes him, would essentially be a lateral move for him to save face, and he can take the majority of the current assistants with him, also negating what CU would owe them. That would truly be the absolute best case scenario for both MM and CU.

Actually, Fate brewing (host of the show) just declared bankruptcy and is closing their lafayette location. Going out of business. In this case, very conveniently.

Anybody get an email about the 2 tickets/2 beers for $90 deal this weekend? If we need a deal to put fannies in seats when we're playing a top 10 team at Folsom especially with no Bronco game this weekend..............that kind of tells you all you need to know about his job status doesn't it?

The best scenario would be for Jimmy Sexton to get MM firmly in the mix at Rutgers, Maryland, KU, Ga Tech or Vandy (if Johnson and/or Mason are let go). Easy transition to another P5 school. Similar salaries probably that would almost assuredly offset what CU owes him, would essentially be a lateral move for him to save face, and he can take the majority of the current assistants with him, also negating what CU would owe them. That would truly be the absolute best case scenario for both MM and CU.

I agree, and he could make sense at Rutgers or Kansas. Said it when Maryland fired Durkin-I'd be stunned if they don't take the interim tag off Matt Canada. The likelihood of him going back to the Group 5 is a lot higher, though.

LOL, did you see what Arizona did to his defense two weeks ago?

See how stupid that sounds?

In no particular order:

Les Miles
Greg Schiano
Jimmy Lake
Mike Gundy
Chip Long
Neil Brown
Dino Babers
Brent Venables
Dave Aranda
Not picking on you (specifically), but can someone explain to me the thought around Schiano? I don't get it.

Not picking on you (specifically), but can someone explain to me the thought around Schiano? I don't get it.
The thought is that he went to a program that was a doormat forever and turned them into a team that regularly won 8-9 games despite being out-talented in most Big10 games. Basically he regularly did more with less and he did it over a prolonged period, not on the back of a previous coach or with one superstar coordinator. He wasn’t fired - he was good up until he left Rutgers and is only a coordinator now because Tennessee fans are morons.

Lack of experience in the west is a legit concern, but that’s what the vetting process is for and could be mitigated depending on the coaches he hired.

My kids loved City Burrito, gone - and Beau Jeau's Pizza, gone. did eat at Denny's, gone a couple times for breakfast (only thing open) back when we played morning or noon games

Back