1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cody Hawkins

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Sexton Hardcastle, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

It's time for you guys to give him his due. I am tired of all the "he's too short" or "his arm isn't strong enough" Bullsh!t. This guy is an awesome competitor. Don't forget this kid is just a freshman too. Sure Cody has his flaws. But i am very comfortable with him at the helm of the program. GO BUFFS.

Swish likes this.
  2. Colfaxbuff

Colfaxbuff New Member

Agree. If he stays healthy and pops gets him some more speedy and large targets to hit, and a more powerful running game (Scott), he's going to be a dangerous mother scratcher. If he does this for 3 more years, he's going to be amongst the all time leaders in passing yardage, with well over 10,000. He also plays his rump off, and it looks like he hates to lose. If everything goes right, he might be really dangerous in a couple years, when these new linemen reach maturity and a certain running back (Scott) is running downhill on fools, freeing the kid up to sling the ball around. Can't wait.

3. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

My only disappointment with Cody was that, after all the hype, I figured he'd ba a master defense reader and tactician. I felt like, often, he focused way too much on one receiver. I look for him to get bretter at checking off. But i love the kid!

4. BamBamBuff

BamBamBuff Member

Cody is still learning the flow... and gaps to look thru! The speed that they play at takes more than a year. Sometimes 2/3 yrears to find the gaps feel the backside pressure, as well as baiting the safety's to misdirect to his intended target! It takes time,progressions and real time flow of an ALABAMA Defence!!

5. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

I love Cody. I was one of the one who had doubts about his arm... He had some "giddy-up" on his throws Sunday night. One bad INT, one not his fault, and still played great! Good things to come... The kid is a gamer, so composed. Did you see him itching in the sidelines to get back on the field in the 4th qtr? Too bad, that 3rd and 6 scramble by Wilson was the game.

6. canuck_buff

canuck_buff Active Member

Cody's got game and I see a future offensive co-ordinator in training in him :thumbsup:

7. IDBUFF

IDBUFF Active Member

:yeahthat:

8. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

That's hard to do when you're running for your life. Good protection can make reading a secondary much easier. I think if CU had OU's line and receivers, Cody could have had comparable numbers to Bradford.

He has a very good head for the game for a frosh and is very accurate given time to throw, and to me those are more important than height and arm stength at this level. By the time he graduates, he will be one of CU's all-time best qbs, imo.

9. BuckinFuffs

BuckinFuffs Active Member

some serious props/kudo/pats on the back to Cody. He has done fabulous and way better than expected given the teams known weaknesses.

I have no problem with Cody winning and playing QB. Thanks for bringing up the topic because we do owe him some serious thanks for the season we enjoyed.

My only concern EVER has been that CU continues to bring in top notch talent to back him up/compete/develop for the next seasons.

10. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:

11. slim pickens

slim pickens New Member

If you count the bowl game, he's got over 3000 yards and 23 TDs :wow: (and a load of INTs).. that's impressive for a redshirt frosh. I think the INTs will come way down next year. But the best thing about Cody by far is his attitude, leadership and intelligence. Those attributes are infectious and will make the good players that surround him only better.:thumbsup:

12. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

Nice thread Valdez because he has had a fine 1st year.
    I think he can continue to be a capable leader for the team although I do hope that coach will do his best to be objective when practice begins this spring and then again in the fall. I think Hawkins genuinely beat out Nelson last year but I think there could be a very interesting battle between Hawkins and Ballenger.
    Size and arm versus experience and moxie. The two can secure the Buffs at the QB position for quite some time.

13. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Don't get me wrong. If Ballenger wins the job over Cody in the future then great! That means the best QB will be playing on saturday, the way it should be. But right now i think the best QB on our team is Cody. He gives us the best chance to win.

BTW i am really excited about Ballenger. He looked great at the practices I went to in the fall.