1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Football Selection Committee

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by fervorfactor, Nov 11, 2014.

1. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

The conspiracy is on. Per sports news, the criteria for the committee is:
    - Conference Championships
    - Strength of Schedule
    - Head to head games
    - Pay no attention to AP or other polls.

It's early and CCGs are still to be played but things don't smell right. I listened to Jeff Long (head of the committee) tonight on ESecPN and he mentioned a criteria of beating rated teams. The committee didn't meet until October 28th so to what rated teams is he referencing? The SEC will get one, the PAC will get one (Oregon or ASU), FSU will be there unless they lose and either TCU or Baylor will probably make it. The Baylor/TCU debate is interesting. If its head to head, Baylor needs to be ahead of TCU. The SEC could be problematic, if UGA comes out in the SEC championship game and wins, the SEC might not get an entry. I think the selection committee isn't, or yet, living by their mantra. There will always be bitching.

2. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

Yep

3. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Instead of a committee picking two, they are picking four. The only thing it changed is the guy who would have had a good argument to be in the top 2, and ends up number 3, now gets a shot.

It's better for the fans.

Big12 needs to get a CCG. If Ohio State wins out, there will be a B1G push.

Bottom line is there's a lot of football still to play though.

4. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

CSU's ears just picked up.

After Mich St, Ohio St's best win is _______________????? http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/194/ohio-state-buckeyes

That's a dogpoop schedule that makes Bailer's overall schedule look good. They deserve to be penalized. I'd like to see TCU in this thing.

5. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

don't they need two more members first? Of course, it's possible the NCAA will be fooled by the conference name and forget to count.

6. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

7. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

8. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  9. SD Buff

SD Buff Club Member Club Member

Big XII will end up getting left out after the CCGs and end up elevating a couple more glorified JUCOs in UCF and Cincinnati.

From phone

10. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Needs to be P5 champs and 3 at large - 8 team playoff. 4 teams is too few.

11. hokiehead

12. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

A failed experiment? How so? Best regular season this sport has seen in a long time.

13. gobuffs58

gobuffs58 Well-Known Member

agree! 8 teams would be better... but glad we get 4

to me the reason for 8 is all p5 champs go plus 3 at large....

14. Highlander

1) Old bowl system will never come back
    2) That "Big 12" alignment isn't much worse than the current Big1G and actually provides some balance to the current Big 12 set up
    2) The current ACC is a marriage of convenience in the worst possible way - easily the most ripe for picking. What I don't know is if they donated their TV rights over x period of time to the conference - that could be a near term show stopper.

15. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

The SEC will have a team in the playoff, and possibly 2, unless Alabama absolutely lays the wood to Mississippi State and then loses to Georgia. If UGA wins the SEC and MSU is sitting there with one close loss, its really hard to argue any combination of Baylor, TCU, or Ohio State over them.........

16. hokiehead

1) you're right.

2) I don't think any of those schools would be lured to leave the ACC to the XII because it improves the XII.

2) Don't get the 'marriage of convenience' comment at all. Academically, the schools are well aligned (outside of Louisville, who claims to be dedicated to improving). Geographically, the ACC makes more sense than any other P5 conference except the B1G: ND makes sense with Louisville and BC will make sense if/when UConn joins.

the ACC GoR goes through 2026. and all 15 schools signed; ND can't join another conference without either breaking that contract, which is certainly possible, or giving up their TV rights, which is inconceivable.

if the ACC is going to be poached, it'll be done by the SEC (they'd love FSU, UNC and VT) or the B1G (I think they'd love to have GIT, UVA, ND and UNC).

That being said, if you want to continue this, PM me. I'm trying not to hijack AB threads with ACC talk anymore ;)

17. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

I don't really like the idea of the Big 12 going to 16 teams. That puts the Pac-12 at a competitive disadvantage with the added challenge of being boxed out geographically. As much as I just want the Pac to stay at 12 teams and never ever ever add any schools from the old Big 12 South, what would suck more would be the Pac picking up ****houses like UNLV and SDSU just to get to 16 teams.

18. gobuffs58

gobuffs58 Well-Known Member

i dont think sdsu and unlv would ever be invited

19. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

I don't see FSU ever joining the SEC.

20. hokiehead

not often a UF guy passes on a chance to include the adjective phrase "former all girls school" when referencing FSU

21. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Honestly, the school is a joke in itself.

22. Highlander

I didn't realize the ACC teams had given up TV GoR thru 2026. I knew the B12 did. That changes everything in terms of near term stability. (my bad)

I do believe at some point we are going to end up with 4 conferences of 64 teams, 16 teams each. With a pod and playoff system, all current P5 teams would benefit from the $$ involved. Ironically enough, the current P5 structure has exactly 64 teams. This is probably bad politically. Stupid in fighting about which conference gets dissolved will ultimately delay what benefits all current teams.

I would put the over/under at 20 years before the inevitable and right thing happens.

23. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

It's highly unlikely the SEC would add members from their current footprint of states

24. Highlander

This is true for all conferences. More about gaining new eyes than anything else. This is why the SEC needs to stay together for their own good, and traditional powers like OU have a very weird seat in the new world.

25. CarolinaBuff

The thing about OU is they would have to bring OSU with them if they were to go anywhere

26. Highlander

How do you view OU and OSU in the new world revolving around TV markets?

27. CarolinaBuff

I don't have any numbers to back this up but I'd certainly think they would bring a hell of a lot more eyeballs to the screen than teams like Maryland or Rutgers despite those teams being in major markets.

28. Highlander

Check again. Not trying to be a dick, but without even looking it up I can certify the states of Maryland and New Jersey have wildly higher populations than Oklahoma.

You can argue real life Saturday viewership trends all day long, but that has not been what has driven TV negotiations.

29. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

But do those populations actually watch the terps & knights?

It's all speculation, but my guess is that 6+ OU games annually draw larger tv audiences in MD & NJ than all but maybe 1 or 2 MD & Rutgers games. And the one or two games where MD & Rutgers draw comparable ratings has more to do with the opposition (tOSU, PSU) than with them.

Just because a team is located in a state does not mean a lot of people in those states watch their games on TV.

Hell, I live in Maryland and I watch more OU games than MD games, and I know I'm not alone in that...

30. Highlander

Violent agreement here. To my knowledge, the value baseline for TV agreements is the size of the markets of the conference teams, not historical viewership rates, which is would seem the more logical metric to use.