What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado sports journalism is so bad

There is one major newspaper and a half dozen fairly inconsequential regional papers in the state. All of them have gutted newsrooms and sports departments. Winning anything doesn’t mean much anymore, and I don’t write that with any joy.

I stopped following the area of sports journalism a while ago. I get nearly all of my sports news from forums and social media now. Based on posts here, I'm not in a small minority.

For those still engaged with sports journalism, what would you want and expect from the Denver Post or Boulder Daily Camera if you could direct them to change business practices and budget for their sports division? what gaps would you have them fill that remain after your reading of message boards and social media?

What's sad is that he will probably win the same award several more times before he calls it quits.

What annoys me is how the other sports journalists in Colorado always circle the wagon around him. He is objectively awful, but the good old boys club loves to talk about the important views and voice he gives to sports in the state.

There is one major newspaper and a half dozen fairly inconsequential regional papers in the state. All of them have gutted newsrooms and sports departments. Winning anything doesn’t mean much anymore, and I don’t write that with any joy.
And guess who owns most of those ‘fairly inconsequential regional papers’…

I stopped following the area of sports journalism a while ago. I get nearly all of my sports news from forums and social media now. Based on posts here, I'm not in a small minority.

For those still engaged with sports journalism, what would you want and expect from the Denver Post or Boulder Daily Camera if you could direct them to change business practices and budget for their sports division? what gaps would you have them fill that remain after your reading of message boards and social media?
Sports is nothing but an entertainment section for men just like food, fashion, and gossip are entertainment for women.

Im not sure what I would change. For most local papers the key to subscriber readership is hyper hyper hyper local community news: Police beat, local prep sports, local government. People want to know whats going on in their neighborhood. Things the Denver Post and TV and NOT covering. After that state Pro Sports and State Colleges.

Print media is dying but the cost of printing and delivering is a shackle around their ankle. purely online hasnt worked out well for most of those that tried because the advertising isnt there. The Financial Times though seems to be doing it. I suppose some staff of valuable writers producing the right content could make it work. But thats hard to maintain.

Isn't he the only "sportswriter" left in CO? That seems the most plausible explanation.
Woody is at the Gazette IIRC, so Jizzla by default in a 'democratic' election. Competition is fierce with names like Howell et al. I like what the guys at DNVR are doing with their podcast, Brandon Perna is a good laugh on That's Good Sports Youtube channel...

Maybe those subpar Colorado sports journalists will get the axe soon.

Does it even matter?

Used to be that the big majority of homes got a daily newspaper, sometimes more than one. Many readers (mostly male) went to the sports section before looking at anything else.

How many people even look at a newspaper anymore? Since they put up the paywall I don't even bother with the Post or the Gazette anymore.

Advertisers have left and as a result when I have seen a paper, print or on-line it has shrunken to a mere shadow of what it used to be.

People simply don't go to newspapers for their information anymore

This was inevitable. The well-known sports reporters in every market long ago left their newspaper to start their own digital things. I believe the calculus for those decisions was that like 80% of newspaper readership and revenue came from the sports section. This was peeled away just like was done to the classifieds by online competitors.

The NY Times is going to use The Athletic for its sports coverage and what’s the point of standings and box scores in the paper in 2023? I’d assume the average age of people still reading that is 75.

Woody is at the Gazette IIRC, so Jizzla by default in a 'democratic' election. Competition is fierce with names like Howell et al. I like what the guys at DNVR are doing with their podcast, Brandon Perna is a good laugh on That's Good Sports Youtube channel...

DNVR have the best Nugs show going imo. Mares and his crew do a great job to say the least.

Perna's sense of humor isn't for everyone but he does a good job of covering the Broncos. Him and the DNVR guys are the only Broncos shows I watch amymore.

DNVR have the best Nugs show going imo. Mares and his crew do a great job to say the least.

Perna's sense of humor isn't for everyone but he does a good job of covering the Broncos. Him and the DNVR guys are the only Broncos shows I watch amymore.
I'm really glad that Jake and RK are both on the CU beat there now too. It's really picked up since Jake came on.

Back