What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v Illinois - 2013 NCAA Tournament First Round Game Thread 3/22 2.40pm MT

can someone translate the first half of this?

Great point guards are often under 6'4" tall. Therefore, playing against players 6'6" and taller is not an issue for players 6'4" and under. Also, Brandon Paul is strong. Or something like that... :huh:

can someone translate the first half of this?

Dwill, Burke, Billups and Lillard are all 6'4'' or under . Not really a deciding factor of a good point guard.

The questions are pretty straight forward. I am not taking the Buffs lightly either I know they could win. i am just going by the quality of the teams each team has beaten, how many top seeded NCAA teams they have beaten if any and common opponents to draw a conclusion of who will win. Against the Buffs i like our chances and against Miami maybe not so much.

Dwill, Burke, Billups and Lillard are all 6'4'' or under . Not really a deciding factor of a good point guard.

The questions are pretty straight forward. I am not taking the Buffs lightly either I know they could win. i am just going by the quality of the teams each team has beaten, how many top seeded NCAA teams they have beaten if any and common opponents to draw a conclusion of who will win. Against the Buffs i like our chances and against Miami maybe not so much.

I never meant to imply that your guards aren't good guards. That much is pretty obvious. But even good 6'3" and 6'4" players are going to have some issues when matched against (also good) 6'6" players. OTOH, the smaller players may be quicker, which can cause its own issues. I'm just saying that I think CU's length can cause a fair number of altered shots and presents opportunities at the rim for guys like Dinwiddie and Johnson.

Well i am not to worried about our guards size vs the Buffs guards height. Hell two best point guards in the world are under 6'4'' and one was an Illini as was former Buffalo all time great Billups. Most great point guards are under 6'4'' such as Lillard and Burke of the past two seasons. Paul is strong enough to hold his own despite being 6'4''. I think it will be a good game. We have done very well outside of conference against good teams and are 7-2 in games decided by 5 or less. I think we are favored for a reason but that doesnt mean either team cant win. I just am wondering if Colorado beat any teams ranked in the top ten all season home or away? Or any teams ranked above the 5 line in the NCAA? WE had one common opponent we both beat USC. Us by 30 in Maui and you by 6 one your home court. I like our chances.

I am just wondering what this actually has to do with our game. You aren't a top 10 team. You're a mediocre, below average team in your conference (key words being in your conference). We aren't a top 10 team, either. So get your head out of your ass and be prepared for CU's length.

Loss Comparison:

Illinois:
Missouri - unranked - NCAA berth
Purdue - unranked
Minnesota - unranked - NCAA berth
Wisconsin - #18 currently - NCAA berth
Northwestern - unranked
Michigan - #10 currently - NCAA berth
Michigan State - #9 currently - NCAA berth
Wisconsin - #18 currently - NCAA berth
Michigan - #10 currently - NCAA berth
Iowa - unranked
Ohio State - #7 currently - NCAA berth
Indiana - #4 currently - NCAA berth
- 3 losses to teams not in the NCAA tourney
- 9 losses to teams in NCAA tourney
- 7 losses to teams currently in the top 25
- 5 losses to teams currently in the top 10

Colorado
Wyoming - unranked
Kansas - #3 currently - NCAA berth
Arizona - #21 currently - NCAA berth
ASU -unranked
UCLA - #24 currently - NCAA berth
Washington - unranked
Utah - unranked
ASU - unranked
CAL - unranked - NCAA berth
Oregon State - unranked
Arizona - #21 currently - NCAA berth
- 6 losses to teams not in the NCAA tourney
- 5 losses to teams in NCAA tourney
- 4 losses to teams currently in the top 25
- 1 loss to team currently in the top 10

CU vs top 50: 4-4* (*counting Tucson as loss)
Illinois vs top 50: 6-9

CU RPI: 38
UI RPI: 40

Overall schedule SOS: Illinois 9, Colorado 24 (hmmm, not quite the gap Illinois fans would have you believe).

Last edited:
Colorado v Illinois - 2013 NCAA Tournament First Round Game Thread 3/22 2.40pm

I'll chime in here. Illinois likes to play a pack line man d. First priority is to not give up the drive. Also we do have physical presence on interior d, not so much on the offensive side tho. If you can shoot us out of protecting the paint it becomes easier to drive, ie what Indiana Michigan and Wisconsin did to us. Our big men can get themselves into foul trouble but we play 4-5 guys interchangeably at pf and center so we don't have much drop off. You will get boards tho because our interior rotation leaves something to be desired from time to time

If this is true then: The Mayor will get 20 points in free throws alone, your big men will all foul out with blocking fouls and Dre will grab 20 boards.

Quick note on Wyoming for anyone who considers that a bad road loss: Wyoming's Luke Martinez hadn't kicked that dude in the face and gotten kicked off the team at the time we played them. Leading scorer who was averaging 14.5 and Wyoming was 12-0 with him in the lineup (7-13 without him).

If Illinois sticks with the pack line instead of going to the 2-3, we should do really well. CU shreds teams that go underneath screens.

Dinwiddie needs to play for 40 minutes like he does the last 10 when we have been down and not settle for pull up shots

Quick note on Wyoming for anyone who considers that a bad road loss: Wyoming's Luke Martinez hadn't kicked that dude in the face and gotten kicked off the team at the time we played them. Leading scorer who was averaging 14.5 and Wyoming was 12-0 with him in the lineup (7-13 without him).

Yep, completely different team. I see that coming up a lot with Illini fans (never mind that Wyoming still managed to finish 75, higher than those Iowa, Purdue and Northwestern teams that defeated them)

Leonard Washington was banged up late in the season as well.

All is good with me. I still follow the Buffs... just have not been posting. I have been a lurker though on Allbuffs.com!
You guys have done a great job on the site - I love the upgrade that Stoudt got! He looks damn good!

Watching Buffs football has been heartbreaking to say the least.... I hope they can turn it around.
Basketball improvement has been great to see... lets keep that up and hope some of it rubs off on the football team!

Since I have broken my silence I might have to post more often!

You guys still fark on here?

Don't be a stranger. Or a creepy lurker... :smile2:

Skiddy is pretty much our resident farker. I guess he does some of his mom, although I've never seen them. But I think that's why people keep calling him a motherfarker... :huh:

Frankly I've read enough about Illinois, a team I really don't care about knowing all that well. They will be the same type of nameless and faceless drones we battled last year against UNLV.

What about CU?

Really hope Scott comes out ready to go in this tourney. No dumb fouls and easy missed shots. His confidence is his Achillies heel. When he's on, we've got a star at almost every position. Like Bill Walton told me, he's the key to our future this year. Whether that's true or not, a steady Scott is a huge advantage for us.

Frankly I've read enough about Illinois, a team I really don't care about knowing all that well. They will be the same type of nameless and faceless drones we battled last year against UNLV.

What about CU?

Really hope Scott comes out ready to go in this tourney. No dumb fouls and easy missed shots. His confidence is his Achillies heel. When he's on, we've got a star at almost every position. Like Bill Walton told me, he's the key to our future this year. Whether that's true or not, a steady Scott is a huge advantage for us.

This is an opponent that presents some fantastic opportunities for Scott on offense.

This is an opponent that presents some fantastic opportunities for Scott on offense.

I think Scott needs to get off to better starts to build the confidence. In comparison, I've been impressed with XJ's ability lately to shake off bad calls and missed shots and not let it affect his game. Just need Scott to take on that approach and keep being aggressive when he's in a funk.

What about CU?

You don't even want to know what Bill Walton told me.

I think Scott needs to get off to better starts to build the confidence. In comparison, I've been impressed with XJ's ability lately to shake off bad calls and missed shots and not let it affect his game. Just need Scott to take on that approach and keep being aggressive when he's in a funk.

It's funny that XJ has been hardly mentioned. The guy has the potential to come up HUGE and make a national name for himself. But he's young.

It's funny that XJ has been hardly mentioned. The guy has the potential to come up HUGE and make a national name for himself. But he's young.

XJ's length could give them absolute fits. XJ's foul shots could also **** us over. Let's cross our fingers the nation knows about XJ this weekend

If Illinois sticks with the pack line instead of going to the 2-3, we should do really well. CU shreds teams that go underneath screens.

I have to think they'll adjust after Dinwiddie starts knocking down the open looks. Guess we'll see..

Last edited:
some thoughts, i dont think scott as of late can be considered an actual threat to anyone. maybe some garbage cleanup thats about it. i kind of lean towards the idea if illinois has somehow managed against big 10 bigs all year scott is definitely not scaring them or dominating them. a stat jumped out at me , the amount of 3's illinois takes is off the hook. damn, talk about living and dying w the 3. arizona a little similar, they got too many open looks in vegas. i dont like the way weve been closing out at the 3, we need to do better and make it difficult for them. i have read that we are a good matchup for illinois because we are not big orientated. i think that works both ways. if it comes down to guard play and helter skelter i will take andre, spence, and ski against just about anybody. if they get outquicked, outshot and outhustled then the illini desrve it, but it will be a helluva fight. i love our heart and if illinois wants to learn about that watch the second half of the arizona game in the pac 12 tourney. home court for az and we could have packed it in. we were one bad call away from tying it late. arizona is damn good, especially in the southwest. much respoect to the big 10 i think it means a lot, however, conf play is a different animal. upsets happen and big 10 teams all took major nights off. so, maybe thats why you beat a real number one in indiana, and the zags, well we know how they turn out every year. i notice this is the closest betting line in the first(second my ass) round. it will be a fight, go buffs!!

Anybody else notice a tendency for Illini fans to eschew paragraphs while adopting a kind of Faulkner-esque stream-of-consciousness approach to communicating?

Anybody else notice a tendency for Illini fans to eschew paragraphs while adopting a kind of Faulkner-esque stream-of-consciousness approach to communicating?

Bunch of anti-indentites. It makes me uncomfortable.

some thoughts, i dont think scott as of late can be considered an actual threat to anyone. maybe some garbage cleanup thats about it. i kind of lean towards the idea if illinois has somehow managed against big 10 bigs all year scott is definitely not scaring them or dominating them. a stat jumped out at me , the amount of 3's illinois takes is off the hook. damn, talk about living and dying w the 3. arizona a little similar, they got too many open looks in vegas. i dont like the way weve been closing out at the 3, we need to do better and make it difficult for them. i have read that we are a good matchup for illinois because we are not big orientated. i think that works both ways. if it comes down to guard play and helter skelter i will take andre, spence, and ski against just about anybody. if they get outquicked, outshot and outhustled then the illini desrve it, but it will be a helluva fight. i love our heart and if illinois wants to learn about that watch the second half of the arizona game in the pac 12 tourney. home court for az and we could have packed it in. we were one bad call away from tying it late. arizona is damn good, especially in the southwest. much respoect to the big 10 i think it means a lot, however, conf play is a different animal. upsets happen and big 10 teams all took major nights off. so, maybe thats why you beat a real number one in indiana, and the zags, well we know how they turn out every year. i notice this is the closest betting line in the first(second my ass) round. it will be a fight, go buffs!!

knucked ragg? That's pretty gross, man.

Back