What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Comprehensive list of reasons for/against Pac 10 move

Here's a benefit for CU alums in California that no one has brought up. But California is building a bullet train from Sacramento (including a branch from San Francisco/San Jose) to San Diego. The route from SD to Sacramento will take three hours. So L.A. to the Bay Area will take 2 hours at about 200 mph. Thus, Buff fans will be cruising up and down the state drinking beers and heading to games at least a couple times a year. The federal government is paying for half of it so cool if they extend it to Oregon and Arizona and Utah and Colorado for that matter.

Here's a benefit for CU alums in California that no one has brought up. But California is building a bullet train from Sacramento (including a branch from San Francisco/San Jose) to San Diego. The route from SD to Sacramento will take three hours. So L.A. to the Bay Area will take 2 hours at about 200 mph. Thus, Buff fans will be cruising up and down the state drinking beers and heading to games at least a couple times a year. The federal government is paying for half of it so cool if they extend it to Oregon and Arizona and Utah and Colorado for that matter.

What's the latest with this? I know it got approved on the ballot a little while back but has there been any progress on actually building it? Isn't it a fairly long-term project. FWIW I think the bullet train would/will be awesome and I would definitely use it to go to CU games in the other part of the state if I was living in California.

Over the last several days there have been articles in the Denver Post by Krieger, Paige, and now Terri Frei exalting the benefits of the Buffs moving to the Pac10. What I have found to be rather comical, is that most everything they put in there articles appears to have been taken from many of the postings here on AllBuffs. The one exception maybe is by CU alum Terry Frei who gives a somewhat different perspective compared to Paige & Krieger.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14402642

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_14398662

Pro:

The administration may loosen up admission requirements ala Cal in certain situations if we are part of an academic conference.

I think we could develop a pretty healthy rivalry with UW and Oregon if we were in a northern division. With UW you have a very similar program with similar history (**** lately, BCS bowl beginning of the decade, national champs in early 90s, ****ed over by Captain Sweatervest, almost identical all time wins). And of course we go head to head with Oregon in recruiting and their fans are complete douchebags.

A much more natural alignment would be the four corner states, then the most obvious additions would make a southern division of CU, Utah, ASU, UA, USC, and UCLA. The northern division would also be pretty easy to see with the Ws, the Os, plus Stanford and Cal. The issue then of course is breaking up California. But we'd get our shots at Neweasel every year...

Over the last several days there have been articles in the Denver Post by Krieger, Paige, and now Terri Frei exalting the benefits of the Buffs moving to the Pac10. What I have found to be rather comical, is that most everything they put in there articles appears to have been taken from many of the postings here on AllBuffs. The one exception maybe is by CU alum Terry Frei who gives a somewhat different perspective compared to Paige & Krieger.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14402642

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_14398662

WOW, those are great articles with quotes from DiStefano/Bohn on the subject too!

In addition to this one: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14393700?source=ARK_news

"It certainly feels way different this time," CU athletic director Mike Bohn said Friday.
"Obviously, it's about TV and revenue and building the brand for each particular league. When the Southeastern Conference put together a television package that produces $8 million per institution more than members of many of the BCS leagues that we're talking about, that certainly is a wake-up call for everyone."

"The SEC has done a phenomenal job of building that enterprise and I think that's why other leagues are thinking 'OK, we've got to build a similar model that can allow us to attract those type of dollars,' " Bohn said.

"Well, certainly. Any time that you are looking at a financial penalty moving from the Big 12 to the Pac-10, that certainly has to come into play," CU chancellor Phil DiStefano said Friday.

"As we're thinking about that decision, we have to look obviously at revenue and expenses," DiStefano said. "The revenue that we would bring in either by staying in the Big 12 or moving to the Pac-10 and what the expenses would be and certainly the upfront expense of moving from the Big 12 to the Pac-10."
While he (Bohn) hasn't gone over specifics of the Big 12 handbook, DiStefano said: "It would certainly factor into any decision we would make about moving out of the conference."

"Our alumni base is stronger in the Pac-10 areas than in the Big 12," DiStefano said. "That's certainly something to consider, especially when the team travels."
DiStefano said at this point there have been no studies to compare Big 12/Pac-10 revenue flow.
With both conferences looking ahead to new television pacts, the chancellor said: "What's going on today might be very different from what will go on tomorrow as far as revenue from television."

A much more natural alignment would be the four corner states, then the most obvious additions would make a southern division of CU, Utah, ASU, UA, USC, and UCLA. The northern division would also be pretty easy to see with the Ws, the Os, plus Stanford and Cal. The issue then of course is breaking up California. But we'd get our shots at Neweasel every year...

I think that the current Pac-10 members would all fight to have annual access to southern California.

The alignment that I think would work out is that rivals Cal-UCLA and USC-Stanford would be grouped together in opposite conferences. The rest of the teams would be geographically aligned.

Pacific Division.....Western Division
USC.......................UCLA
Stanford.................California
Washington............Arizona
Oregon..................Arizona State
Oregon State..........Colorado
Washington State....Utah/New Mexico/Hawaii

I think the league will try to balance the traditional football powers that have bigger facilities and revenues to avoid the Big 12 alignment problems. Also I believe they will see the potential for rivalries between Arizona/ASU/CU/ (Utah/New Mexico) as border states much the same way that the NW schools have now.

I think that the current Pac-10 members would all fight to have annual access to southern California.

The alignment that I think would work out is that rivals Cal-UCLA and USC-Stanford would be grouped together in opposite conferences. The rest of the teams would be geographically aligned.

I think the league will try to balance the traditional football powers that have bigger facilities and revenues to avoid the Big 12 alignment problems. Also I believe they will see the potential for rivalries between Arizona/ASU/CU/ (Utah/New Mexico) as border states much the same way that the NW schools have now.

I think I would be ok with the N/S split IF CU got UCLA (and maybe even Cal) as a dedicated yearly opponent ala the SEC model.

CU needs to accept if the Pac 10 offers. It is a better regional fit. Most of the recruits are CA kids now, and there is a huge fan base.

The Big 8 died years ago when we let the Texas schools come in, we need to get over it and go where the money and pastures are greener. Stay in the Big 12 and we are beholden to UT, the conference killer. At least we have an option, something not everybody in the B12 N has....go, and go yesterday.

The con I'm most prepared to complain about are west coast night games.
7PM on left-coast time is 9PM for me. Staying up past midnight to finish a game generally blows from a social perspective.

7PM on left-coast time is 9PM for me. Staying up past midnight to finish a game generally blows from a social perspective.

Move or get a DVR.:smile2:

That would absolutely be a perfect divisional setup for a Pac-12. I could learn to love that. Getting two Cali schools, the Arizonas and Utah would really set up some good regional rivalries. I'd call the divisions "Pacific" and "Mountain" to tie into the time zones, since four of the six would be in the Mountain (Arizona IS a MTZ state even if it's not half the year).

One other positive came to me today: If we don't play Nebraska, I don't have nearly the reasons that I now have to hate them. Just another team in another conference. Kind of like the way I view Utah now.

It's a tremendous opportunity, and I'll be thrilled if the Buffs move to the PAC 10.

As a university, Colorado has so much more in common academically and socially with the PAC 10 than with the Big XII.

Last edited:

All I need is my couch a beverage and HD

Back