What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Confidence in Dan Hawkins

What is your confidence level in Dan Hawkins?

• Total voters
Why are we having this poll?

Because Matt Thompson (bless his heart) stopped by last year, started the most epic thread ever and then was permanently banned. So we carry on the best we can...

It's better to burn out than fade away!

Run this ****er out on a rail. He has had his chance and has the worst winnig percentage in CU history. I am done and this is a throw away year. I know DBT, you do not want to hear it but Hawk is a lame duck kept around to save a few bucks and avoid a political situation. He is a lost cause. I renewed my tickets and will travel to Cal but I cannot wait till he is fired. I am so tired of his line of crap it makes me want to puke! Also had a ton to drink this afternoon and it may have an impact on the overall attitude of this post. **** the Hawk!
Hey, leave me out of this. If he doesn't get it done this year, I'll be on the "Fire Hawk" bandwagon with the rest of you. It is what it is. He's the coach. Nothing you or I can do about it. Complaining, bitching, and moaning will not change anything. Fact is, if he does not win this year, he'll be gonzo. And he knows it.

The poll questions were kind of tough. I went with the "Better than 50:50 chance" one.

Last edited:
Why are we having this poll?

Because we are in one of the seven stages of off-season.
1. Shock and Denial
2. Pain and Guilt
3. Anger and Bargaining
4. Depression and Loneliness
5. Acceptance
6. A glimmer of hopefulness
7. Planning Tailgates.

The 8th stage is reality.

reality.jpg

I would've been shocked if "2010 is a write off. DH is a lame duck & cannot win at the BCS level." wasn't leading comfortably.

The formula for Hawk to look like a decent BCS level coach would be if he had gone to a school with less of an emphasis on the football program as the flagship of the athletic department, in a weaker conference and had scheduled cupcake FBS opponents in the nonconference. Let's say he was hired away from Boise to fill a vacancy at Wazzu or Indiana and spent the last four years capitalizing on the nonconference plus conference schools having down years (Washington, ASU, Northwestern) to get bowl eligible. The additional bowl appearances plus the "results" standards those hypothetical places might hold a football coach to wouldn't make Hawk look like a genius, but by no stretch a terrible coach like he's appearing now. Of course, those standards for a head coach seem to apply in Boulder now.

Hey, leave me out of this. If he doesn't get it done this year, I'll be on the "Fire Hawk" bandwagon with the rest of you. It is what it is. He's the coach. Nothing you or I can do about it. Complaining, bitching, and moaning will not change anything. Fact is, if he does not win this year, he'll be gonzo. And he knows it.

The poll questions were kind of tough. I went with the "Better than 50:50 chance" one.

You never really want out of one of these conversations ; ) I hit the 2010 is a throw away year and it really is. He cannot coach and is way over his head. He has brought in some decent talent but has no idea what to do with it. I am anxious to get onto the new coach search. Hope it happens early like mid way thru the season. The sooner we turn this horrible page the better.

You never really want out of one of these conversations ; ) I hit the 2010 is a throw away year and it really is. He cannot coach and is way over his head. He has brought in some decent talent but has no idea what to do with it. I am anxious to get onto the new coach search. Hope it happens early like mid way thru the season. The sooner we turn this horrible page the better.
I hope you're wrong. If you aren't, you'll get your wish for a new coach. You know, there is one thing I don't get about all this. I think a lot of you actually want 2010 to go down the tubes just so that you are proven correct and Hawkins is fired. I just don't get that. Well, I do get it. You believe that there is no way CU will rise to the top with Hawkins. I'm just not smart enough to know one way or the other. I just want CU to be an elite program again. I don't care who gets us there. I know one thing. This Hawkins debate has divided us and hurt the program.

I have absolutely no read on the 2010 Buffs. I can see 9-3 as much as I can see 3-9.

I have absolutely no read on the 2010 Buffs. I can see 9-3 as much as I can see 3-9.

How on earth would we ever get to 9 wins? What did you see from last year that shows anything good will happen this year? Other than the Buffalo on the gold helmet I can't see anything good. I mean they even screwed up the "CU" on the buffalo. It is now italics instead of the traditional bold. Maybe if Hawkins gets fired after the 2nd or 3rd game, we will have a chance to have a winning season but other than that when I look beyond the Buffalo on the helmet I don't see it.

How on earth would we ever get to 9 wins? What did you see from last year that shows anything good will happen this year? Other than the Buffalo on the gold helmet I can't see anything good. I mean they even screwed up the "CU" on the buffalo. It is now italics instead of the traditional bold. Maybe if Hawkins gets fired after the 2nd or 3rd game, we will have a chance to have a winning season but other than that when I look beyond the Buffalo on the helmet I don't see it.

Better or worse, this won't be a repeat of last year. We have important changes in players (Clemons!), and maybe Prince will make a difference as a coach.
This year's recipe has new and different ingredients, it can't taste exactly the same.

p.s. thanks for information on italics in helmet logo. As we all know, it's the "little things" that we need to watch.

I hope you're wrong. If you aren't, you'll get your wish for a new coach. You know, there is one thing I don't get about all this. I think a lot of you actually want 2010 to go down the tubes just so that you are proven correct and Hawkins is fired. I just don't get that. Well, I do get it. You believe that there is no way CU will rise to the top with Hawkins. I'm just not smart enough to know one way or the other. I just want CU to be an elite program again. I don't care who gets us there. I know one thing. This Hawkins debate has divided us and hurt the program.

There is a difference between pulling for loses and laying out what we expect based on a 4 year track record. 4 straight losing seasons. Worst winning percentage in history of the program. Questionable personnel decisions. Constantly changing schemes. Perpetual high penalty numbers that place the buffs as one of the worst penalized teams in the country. No improvements on special team. They have gotten worse each year. Not much to base improvement on.

My gold colored glasses agree with you. Based on the schedule, there are some games that we could win. I am hopeful we see 8 wins I just do not have the confidence in the coaching staff to predict it.

Ya know, I think you and I are in the same boat. I really don't have a clue.
Agree on this one. We will see how it plays out. Once we take the field at Invesco, we will start to find out.

I have a really hard time finding 9 wins on this schedule. When Iowa State and Baylor are no longer considered locks, I think four wins is far more likely. Cal, Georgia, OU, Missouri and (I hate to say it) *ebraska are all probable losses. That puts us at 7 wins maximum without some kind of heroic breakthrough. I see nothing from Hawkins that indicates he's capable of any kind of heroic breakthrough.

i think we'll threaten .500 and bowl eligible. achieve it? would love to be optimistic....but, i'm not. I think the schedule gives us at least 4 wins at home--though, i hesitate to pick which ones. after that, ???? over/under.....4.5 or 5.5 wins.

i was off the kool-aid early, but every year i thought we'd be better than other conference boards or the writers predicted re: the North. they've been right, i've been wrong....every time.

I am just afraid Hawkins will do just enough to keep his job for another year after this one. Any other coach and I would say we are bowling this year for sure with a chance at 8-9 wins but with Hawk, geez, just too frustrating to think about.

I'm confident that Hawkins will coach up the team to the point they have the best practices in the history of CU.
I'm confident that Hawkins will try things this season that have never been tried before in the history of football.
I'm confident that Hawkins will have some super quotes about players bringing their lunch pails, and getting the horns out.
I'm confident that as the season goes, Hawkins will completly melt down.
I'm confident that at the end of the season Hawkins will not win more than 4 games, and according to him all 8 loses will be because of a combined total of 10 plays, and none of the problems with the team will be Dan Hawkins fault.

I'm confident that Hawkins will coach up the team to the point they have the best practices in the history of CU.
I'm confident that Hawkins will try things this season that have never been tried before in the history of football.
I'm confident that Hawkins will have some super quotes about players bringing their lunch pails, and getting the horns out.
I'm confident that as the season goes, Hawkins will completly melt down.
I'm confident that at the end of the season Hawkins will not win more than 4 games, and according to him all 8 loses will be because of a combined total of 10 plays, and none of the problems with the team will be Dan Hawkins fault.

And that he'll get another year after this one?

Blech at that thought...

Did anyone hear Bannon's interview with Vic and Gary this morning? At the end, they asked him if he follows CU. He said "Not really, its been pretty frustrating the last few years." Then they asked him how he would have handled 6am practices. He sounded surprised and asked, "So, CU is going to morning practices?" They said "Yeah, what do you think?" And his phone went dead, :lol:.

I am just afraid Hawkins will do just enough to keep his job for another year after this one. Any other coach and I would say we are bowling this year for sure with a chance at 8-9 wins but with Hawk, geez, just too frustrating to think about.

That's what scares me too, that he'll win 6 or 7 games and they'll somehow justify that as worthy of retaining Hawkins. Even if we do barely become bowl eligible with 6 wins, that's hardly anything to be all that thrilled about.

That's what scares me too, that he'll win 6 or 7 games and they'll somehow justify that as worthy of retaining Hawkins. Even if we do barely become bowl eligible with 6 wins, that's hardly anything to be all that thrilled about.

That is the worst thing that can happen to CU as far as I am concerned. I want either 10 wins or no wins, and I still think he should be fired with anything short of a BCS bowl win.

That is the worst thing that can happen to CU as far as I am concerned. I want either 10 wins or no wins, and I still think he should be fired with anything short of a BCS bowl win.

Going 7-5 or 8-4, firing Dan Hawkins, and having the new staff in place before our bowl game is pretty much the dream scenario for most Buff fans, methinks.

Going 7-5 or 8-4, firing Dan Hawkins, and having the new staff in place before our bowl game is pretty much the dream scenario for most Buff fans, methinks.

7-5 or 8-4 pretty much guarantees another year of Hawk droppings IMO....

Yes. Unfortunately, winning 7 games would keep him here another year. I still have a hard time finding 7 wins on this schedule. Maybe, if everything breaks our way, we *might* scratch out 7 wins. Keep in mind that means going undefeated at home and beating CSU in Denver. We all know he can't win a road game to save his life.

Did anyone hear Bannon's interview with Vic and Gary this morning? At the end, they asked him if he follows CU. He said "Not really, its been pretty frustrating the last few years." Then they asked him how he would have handled 6am practices. He sounded surprised and asked, "So, CU is going to morning practices?" They said "Yeah, what do you think?" And his phone went dead, :lol:.

I guess you had to be there, :smile2:

50/50...the Big 12 lost a lot of talent from the last two years so the Buffs might have a chance to step up but the Buffs are going to have to win on the road which hasn't happened too often under Hawk.

The poll response rate so far has been excellent.
10% are drinking the koolaid and expect a winning season in 2010, but fall short displaying confidence in any future 10-win seasons. The sole vote for utmost confidence is a known farce.
60% are decidely pessimistic with no confidence in coach Hawkins
30% are decidedly not confident in DH's success, and liken the probability of DH's first winning season to a coin flip.

This pole confirms what is pretty obvious. Dan Hawkins has lost the unequivical support of this internet message board. The best spin here is that 40% of fans might be won back if things break the right way.

Back