What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Could Kelly Bryant work here in 2019?

hmmmmmmm.... I have mixed feelings. Doubt Montez would opt for the NFL. Would take one hell of a year. Knowing our luck he will go to ****braska where there is no competition at the QB spot.

When I read that he was transferring the first thought I had was we could be so lucky. Interesting they include Jackson considering tonight might be his first game.

I do not think he is even at the level of Jalen Hurts and neither is really a fit in this offense.

Not opposed to looking for a transfer if Montez jumps though, and that is a pretty good possibility IMO.

I think Montez is a better passer at this stage than either Hurts or Bryant, it's the intangibles that both possess that makes the difference. Neither has had to deal with poor OL play so it's hard to know how they'd do in that situation. Both have more foot speed than Montez & to date a higher level of coaching.
Hurts would have the edge if there was a choice he's the one with the ring.

I for one don't think it's a "remote" possibility. But I also think there is a lot of 2018 left with plenty to prove.

I agree.

But as someone who was a harsh critic of Montez coming into the season, I think he does not have that much to prove either. He is showing exactly what needs to be shown. And if the grade is even decent, he has to jump IMO.

Montez has a lot of football yet to be played in the P-12. I just don't see him having the kind of season where NFL scouts are drooling over him to where he declares for the draft. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Montez succeed on every level but I'm also unsure how someone like Bryant would be a good fit. And if he did come to Boulder, would any of the promising QB's behind Montez decide to transfer?

I am also curious why some are dismissing Montez leaving as a remote possibility. What more is he really going to have to prove in 2019?

I have yet to see Montez mentioned in the first 2-3 rounds. That’s plenty of reason to come back another year as a top QB.

I have yet to see Montez mentioned in the first 2-3 rounds. That’s plenty of reason to come back another year as a top QB.

The draft boards change dramatically over the next few months. People put way too much stock in early draft boards.

When a national writer like Bruce Feldman decides to write about Montez during the offseason, he is not pulling that out of nowhere.

The draft boards change dramatically over the next few months. People put way too much stock in early draft boards.

When a national writer like Bruce Feldman decides to write about Montez during the offseason, he is not pulling that out of nowhere.
I saw someone on 247 say, “If Montez leaves early, that definitely means CU won the Pac and is likely headed for the playoff”... lol not even remotely close.

And Montez is absolutely on the “short list” of draftable QBs right now, mostly in the 2nd tier after Herbert, Lock and Grier. He needs to maintain the body of work he has put out there through 3 games and he will be a round 1-3 guy, IMO.

I don't think I've ever seen the Mannings speak publicly about any particular college prospect, but I would imagine their opinions carry a lot of weight with both media and scout types.

It's not inconceivable that Feldman got his info from someone who was at the Manning camp this summer.

Montez has the measurables NFL guys love. He is developing the mental part of the game that eludes a lot of quarterbacks. I personally think another year with Roper would serve him very well, but if he gets the chance, he needs to take it.

Last edited:
I agree.

But as someone who was a harsh critic of Montez coming into the season, I think he does not have that much to prove either. He is showing exactly what needs to be shown. And if the grade is even decent, he has to jump IMO.

Agree with you, he does still have things to show.

Being this close though we tend to see and pay attention to his deficiencies and mistakes. We pay more attention to his weaknesses.

Coming at it from the other side pro teams see a lot of what they are looking for. They see a guy who has pro size and a stronger arm than a lot of guys who are successful in the league right now. He has decent mobility, has been reasonably tough taking some solid shots to get up and return to the huddle.

He is not a finished product but with a strong season it is easy to see how pro teams would look at him as a guy they who "could" become a franchise QB.

I don't think I would get excited about having Bryant come in though. Don't see him as a good fit. Also don't want to get into the business of bringing in one year QBs. We are recruiting talent there, develop it and have a progression.

It’s getting to a point where an extra year of college isn’t doing much for QBs because they aren’t playing the same game as they will in the NFL. Getting to the league and learning the NFL game, at NFL speeds is the only way to get more NFL-ready, IMO.

It’s getting to a point where an extra year of college isn’t doing much for QBs because they aren’t playing the same game as they will in the NFL. Getting to the league and learning the NFL game, at NFL speeds is the only way to get more NFL-ready, IMO.
That and you can easily triple the amount of time you can put in with coaches.

I saw someone on 247 say, “If Montez leaves early, that definitely means CU won the Pac and is likely headed for the playoff”... lol not even remotely close.

And Montez is absolutely on the “short list” of draftable QBs right now, mostly in the 2nd tier after Herbert, Lock and Grier. He needs to maintain the body of work he has put out there through 3 games and he will be a round 1-3 guy, IMO.
Agreed, but I would put Herbert in the top tier.

Kelly Bryant work here? Is there a job at a Boulder bank available?

I am not at all convinced Montez will leave, or is ready to leave.

Yeah, I'm not saying he can't be mentioned but the fact is the only way he should consider leaving CU is if he's a guaranteed Day 1 or 2 pick. A good year this year and great year next year could mean first day which means a lot more of a chance to be a NFL starter/big money guy.

I am also curious why some are dismissing Montez leaving as a remote possibility. What more is he really going to have to prove in 2019?
I’m not sure he’s gonna get a Rd 1 or 2 draft grade. He’s progressing nicely with Roper. Might be a chance to stay and enhance value substantially. Rest of season’s performance is key especially against good Ds.

I wouldn't want Bryant. He got benched because he wasn't producing with Clemson's talent! His passing is sub par, and he's not as deadly a runner as Hurts.

Back