What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Countdown to Early Signing Period: FINAL DAY

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
December 20th-22nd is the new Early Signing Period for football this year.

As in previous years, mid-year transfer JUCOs and early enrollee High Schoolers will sign their paperwork.

What's new this year is that players who are enrolling on the more typical timeline for a summer semester and full-time in the fall can now choose the option of signing a NLI in December instead of waiting until February.

It seems like just about everyone is opting to sign in the early period, but we'll see.

Snapshot of CU's roster & recruiting

The Buffs graduated 14 seniors and had a player leave early for the NFL draft, which breaks down by position as follows:

QB (0) -
RB (2) - Michael Adkins, Phillip Lindsay
WR (3) - Bryce Bobo, Shay Fields, Devin Ross
TE (1) - George Frazier
OL (3) - Jonathan Huckins, Jeromy Irwin, Gerrad Kough
NT (0) -
DE (2) - Timothy Coleman, Leo Jackson
OLB () - Derek McCartney
CB (1) - Isaiah Oliver (NFL)
S (2) - Afolabi Laguda, Ryan Moeller
ST (1) - Chris Graham

Also, Johnny Huntley (WR) has declared that he will transfer.

In other roster news, N.J. Falo (OLB) has said that he will return to the Buffs after serving a suspension in the fall.

There is also the potential that two other players who were suspended for the fall could also return - Anthony Julmisse (CB) and Frank Umu (DE). However, since those have not been announced one way or the other they won't be factored into the numbers here.

Here's the breakdown of the returning roster for 2018 as we know it:

21 Seniors
14 Juniors
15 Sophomores
17 Redshirt Freshmen
67 TOTAL

Jalen Sami (NT) and Casey Roddick (OL) have confirmed that they will enroll after grayshirting, bringing us to 69 scholarships committed.

That leaves 16 roster spots for recruits this year prior to any further attrition.

Current Commits with their Class:

QB (1) - Blake Stenstrom (Fr)
RB (2) - Jarek Broussard (Fr), Deion Smith (Fr)
WR (3) - Daniel Arias (Fr), Dimitri Stanley - *could play CB (Fr), Dylan Thomas (Fr)
TE (1) - Darrion Jones (Jr)
OL (2) - Frank Fillip (Fr), Josh Jynes (Fr)
NT (0) -
DE (1) - Israel Antwine (Fr), Tava Finau (Fr)
OLB (1) - Joshka Gustav - *could play TE (Fr), Ray Robinson - *could play S (Fr), Davion Taylor - *soft verbal right now; ** likely plays Buff (Jr)
ILB (2) - Clyde Moore (Fr)
CB (1) - Delrick Abrams (Jr)
S (3) - Hasaan Hypolite (Fr), Aaron Maddox (So), L.J. Wallace - * could play CB (Fr)
ST (0) -
18 TOTAL

We'd be 2 over the 85 scholarship limit if everyone on that list signed and no one else graduated with eligibility left, transferred or medically retired. Also of note, every JUCO listed is a mid-year transfer who will enroll in January. They will be joined by three freshmen, with Ray Robinson an early enrollee along with our 2 grayshirts from last year.

Even though the numbers look like CU is full for this year, that's not close to the truth. Expect some maneuvering with the roster that will allow another 7ish guys added to the roster.

Here are some additional prospects to watch since they have taken Official Visits to CU and remain uncommitted unless otherwise noted:

Chris Murray - 4* OG from Mater Dei HS in CA
Jordan Allen - high 3* OLB from City College of San Francisco in CA
Israel Antwine - 3* DT from Milwood HS in OK (currently committed to Oklahoma State)
Caleb Tremblay - 4* DT from American River College in CA

Last edited:
Great breakdown Nik.

Have you, or anyone else, heard of anyone intending to wait instead of signing during the early signing period?

Would expect Mustafa Johnson would be one to watch, would be very surprised if he was not on the visit list this weekend.
I think we're really close to OLB Case Gatlin from IMG Academy popping, too.

Edit: Gatlin committed on 12/14 to Texas Tech. That suggests that CU got its OLB and did not have room for him.

Last edited:
Nik -

I don’t think you mean to have Davion Taylor on that list. He’s not on the other list in Brazil, and if you include him the number of commits listed in 19 instead of 18, and the total would be 88 and not 87. He’s not listed as a commit in the database, and unless something changes, is not planning to come here.

Is Antwine really in play? I know Howell mentions him in his chats, but I trust you guys more than him on recruiting. It seemed like Antwine looked at each school carefully, and then made a solid commitment.

Have we heard about any greyshirt candidates? I think we all have our own thoughts on who could be, but have any official news come up on greyshirts?

random thought - I had a nightmare that Deion Smith signed elsewhere... ...have no damn clue why I dreamt that or why it woke me up.... ....

Thanks for all the coverage everyone - much appreciated. It's always informative and at times, educational.

Nik -

I don’t think you mean to have Davion Taylor on that list. He’s not on the other list in Brazil, and if you include him the number of commits listed in 19 instead of 18, and the total would be 88 and not 87. He’s not listed as a commit in the database, and unless something changes, is not planning to come here.
247sports, Rivals and ESPN all still list him as a CU commit. Not listing him would be the mistake, I decided. But I did note that it is a very soft verbal commitment right now.

https://colorado.rivals.com/news/juco-dt-heading-to-boulder-for-official-visit

@Jeric called it. Every reason to believe that the Buffs have a great shot at gaining a commit from Mustafa this weekend. (y)
After playing in Modesto his visit to Colorado is going to feel like he has gone to heaven. I spent some time out their consulting and I can tell you most of the population there, particularly at the school, would move to CO in a heartbeat if they had the chance. So now you know what Mustafa hear's every day from people around him that know he has an offer from CU.

After playing in Modesto his visit to Colorado is going to feel like he has gone to heaven. I spent some time out their consulting and I can tell you most of the population there, particularly at the school, would move to CO in a heartbeat if they had the chance. So now you know what Mustafa hear's every day from people around him that know he has an offer from CU.
He grew up in Aurora before moving to CA after 8th grade, so he knows what to expect and there are existing relationships back here.

Appears we still need a HS TE, a HS OL, a HS NT, a JC NT, and a JC DT. Plus any others too good to turn away.

Are Sanchez and Feeney healthy yet? Is Lopez still at TE or did he move back to NT?

December 20th-22nd is the new Early Signing Period for football this year.

As in previous years, mid-year transfer JUCOs and early enrollee High Schoolers will sign their paperwork.

What's new this year is that players who are enrolling on the more typical timeline for a summer semester and full-time in the fall can now choose the option of signing a NLI in December instead of waiting until February.

It seems like just about everyone is opting to sign in the early period, but we'll see.

Snapshot of CU's roster & recruiting

The Buffs graduated 14 seniors and had a player leave early for the NFL draft, which breaks down by position as follows:

QB (0) -
RB (2) - Michael Adkins, Phillip Lindsay
WR (3) - Bryce Bobo, Shay Fields, Devin Ross
TE (1) - George Frazier
OL (3) - Jonathan Huckins, Jeromy Irwin, Gerrad Kough
NT (0) -
DE (2) - Timothy Coleman, Leo Jackson
OLB () - Derek McCartney
CB (1) - Isaiah Oliver (NFL)
S (2) - Afolabi Laguda, Ryan Moeller
ST (1) - Chris Graham

Also, Johnny Huntley (WR) has declared that he will transfer.

In other roster news, N.J. Falo (OLB) has said that he will return to the Buffs after serving a suspension in the fall.

There is also the potential that two other players who were suspended for the fall could also return - Anthony Julmisse (CB) and Frank Umu (DE). However, since those have not been announced one way or the other they won't be factored into the numbers here.

Here's the breakdown of the returning roster for 2018 as we know it:

21 Seniors
14 Juniors
15 Sophomores
17 Redshirt Freshmen
67 TOTAL

Jalen Sami (NT) and Casey Roddick (OL) have confirmed that they will enroll after grayshirting, bringing us to 69 scholarships committed.

That leaves 16 roster spots for recruits this year prior to any further attrition.

Current Commits with their Class:

QB (1) - Blake Stenstrom (Fr)
RB (2) - Jarek Broussard (Fr), Deion Smith (Fr)
WR (3) - Daniel Arias (Fr), Dimitri Stanley - *could play CB (Fr), Dylan Thomas (Fr)
TE (1) - Darrion Jones (Jr)
OL (3) - Frank Fillip (Fr), Josh Jynes (Fr), Josh McMullen (Jr)
NT (0) -
DE (1) - Tava Finau (Fr)
OLB (1) - Joshka Gustav - *could play TE (Fr), Ray Robinson - *could play S (Fr)
ILB (2) - Clyde Moore (Fr), Davion Taylor - *very soft verbal right now (Jr)
CB (1) - Delrick Abrams (Jr)
S (3) - Hasaan Hypolite (Fr), Aaron Maddox (So), L.J. Wallace - * could play CB (Fr)
ST (0) -
18 TOTAL

We'd be 2 over the 85 scholarship limit if everyone on that list signed and no one else graduated with eligibility left, transferred or medically retired. Also of note, every JUCO listed is a mid-year transfer who will enroll in January. They will be joined by three freshmen, with Ray Robinson an early enrollee along with our 2 grayshirts from last year.

Even though the numbers look like CU is full for this year, that's not close to the truth. Expect some maneuvering with the roster that will allow another 7ish guys added to the roster.

Here are some additional prospects to watch since they have taken Official Visits to CU and remain uncommitted unless otherwise noted:

Chris Murray - 4* OG from Mater Dei HS in CA
Jordan Allen - high 3* OLB from City College of San Francisco in CA
Israel Antwine - 3* DT from Milwood HS in OK (currently committed to Oklahoma State)
Caleb Tremblay - 4* DT from American River College in CA

I thought Dimitri Stanley was a running back? @Buffnik

Back