What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Announces Aluminum CU Cups at Athletic Events

I mean, they are aluminum. They should last as long as you want, assuming you don't crush or bend it.
"lightweight" tho. And the guy said something about them not being for long term use or not being dishwasher safe.

I need these in my hands! Most likely won’t be making it out for a game this season...hopefully they’ll prove a hot commodity, and keep selling them in future seasons. Next year I’ll make it a point to keep a few days of time off on hand to make it out to a game.

I love that. We can recycle metal and glass much better than we can plastic. In fact, I just had someone in the packaging industry tell me that most of the plastic we put in our recycling bins ends up in landfills (or as ocean plastic) because it's so much cheaper for companies to get new plastic from the oil refining process.

Plus, drinks taste better and seem colder to me when served in an aluminum cup versus a plastic one.

I love that. We can recycle metal and glass much better than we can plastic. In fact, I just had someone in the packaging industry tell me that most of the plastic we put in our recycling bins ends up in landfills (or as ocean plastic) because it's so much cheaper for companies to get new plastic from the oil refining process.

Plus, drinks taste better and seem colder to me when served in an aluminum cup versus a plastic one.
A friend manages a garbage company and told me all glass that gets recycled gets sorted into the trash. Who knows

A friend manages a garbage company and told me all glass that gets recycled gets sorted into the trash. Who knows
Yeah. I was also told that the different colors and different silica levels of different glass make it really inefficient and sometimes cost prohibitive for a recycling center to try to sort.

Pragmatically, the best we as consumers can probably do right now is to try to be mostly compostable or metal with what we throw away.

Yeah. I was also told that the different colors and different silica levels of different glass make it really inefficient and sometimes cost prohibitive for a recycling center to try to sort.

Pragmatically, the best we as consumers can probably do right now is to try to be mostly compostable or metal with what we throw away.

Recycling may be the most confusing thing ever tbh. At Chipotle I’m usually standing there staring at the signs trying to figure out what goes where. At home I have no idea so anything glass, paper or aluminum just goes in the trash can. I have no idea wtf is recyclable half the time.

i have been on the hunt for a new Renaissance Festival Beer Stein made from pewter (reasonably priced) - well this new cup will work perfect, just a little small

Thanks @Buffnik for your input about recycling plastic & glass. Seeing those plastic waste floating in the ocean should piss everyone off and I have been drinking from aluminium soda cans more often and will prioritize aluminium containers every time I go to the convenience store.

Did the recycling rep or person you talked about have something to say about steel cans?

Thanks @Buffnik for your input about recycling plastic & glass. Seeing those plastic waste floating in the ocean should piss everyone off and I have been drinking from aluminium soda cans more often and will prioritize aluminium containers every time I go to the convenience store.

Did the recycling rep or person you talked about have something to say about steel cans?
No. We were talking about packaging for personal care products mostly. Lotions, aspirin bottles, that sort of thing. We drifted off to the food & beverage industry a bit, but that was more of an aside. Part of that conversation that I didn't mention, though, is that chemicals bind to the molecules in plastics while they don't really bind to metal and glass much if at all. So there was also the concern about what had previously been exposed to the plastic that got recycled. Also from a safety standpoint that plastics have been linked to changing hormone balance to more estrogen.

I like these, they look good and make sense. Even if the initial cost is a couple of cents more than paper or plastic it is a small percentage of the product cost and fits with the priorities of the CU fans.

Just as a question for someone who might know. Would there be any efficiency and/or practicality in installing an on-site cleaning system and selling a heavier version that is designed for re-use. It would probably require having a couple or more specific beverage vending locations in the stadium but I would go for it.

I would be willing to pay a couple bucks extra for a cool looking aluminum CU cup I could take home and use.

Hmmm, do they really want the student section hurling these things around full of beer? Could be stupid, could be epic!!!

While plastic ****s up the environment, single use aluminum isn’t exactly a green replacement.

Mining for raw materials and recycling smelters involve trade offs.

The best green play is to allow fans to bring in their own reusable bottles.

We’ll see if those cups are yeti strong, beer can weak, or something in between.

While plastic ****s up the environment, single use aluminum isn’t exactly a green replacement.

Mining for raw materials and recycling smelters involve trade offs.

The best green play is to allow fans to bring in their own reusable bottles.

We’ll see if those cups are yeti strong, beer can weak, or something in between.

A quick search says that about 9% of plastic waste is recycled in the US, the percentage for aluminum is about 65%. Pretty dramatic difference.

Back