What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Reading through the thread. You can see why many don't like to coach in college, Got to deal with boosters, recruiting and etc. Every one has their own choice. At the end of the day KD should hire the coach he wants that he can work with. Not what grumpy old men on allbuffs want. He is the one that will be fired if he doesn't get it right. Early signing period starts on Wednesday. it is too late to hire anyone now that will have any significant impact on the early signing period. So might as well take your time and get the choice right, No need to rush at this stage. CU should be selling the school to recruits, not a new shiny OC or OL coach.
Like the Flatirons amiright?

Reading through the thread. You can see why many don't like to coach in college, Got to deal with boosters, recruiting and etc. Every one has their own choice. At the end of the day KD should hire the coach he wants that he can work with. Not what grumpy old men on allbuffs want. He is the one that will be fired if he doesn't get it right. Early signing period starts on Wednesday. it is too late to hire anyone now that will have any significant impact on the early signing period. So might as well take your time and get the choice right, No need to rush at this stage. CU should be selling the school to recruits, not a new shiny OC or OL coach.

youre probably not wrong

I Guess If You Say So GIF

☝️Best gif for CU Football ....

Last edited:
If you were even a somewhat promising offensive recruit, high school or JUCO or transfer, why on earth would you even consider signing with CU at this point? Unless CU was your only meaningful offer, you’d have to be insane to take that risk.
kD former WR, OC and current head coach will sell a vision on how the team will play next year. It is the head coach that usually closes the deal unless you have an elite super coordinator that is an elite recruiter.

1. Betting CU was rebuffed by Whipple
  2. CU is not in the same pond as ****braska
  3. CU isn’t aiming, their weapon is jammed and they have no idea how to correct it
  4. CU is chasing unlikely candidates and is unprepared
  5. There will be no positive news on the search and the hire will be late and uninspiring
Sad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

If you were even a somewhat promising offensive recruit, high school or JUCO or transfer, why on earth would you even consider signing with CU at this point? Unless CU was your only meaningful offer, you’d have to be insane to take that risk.
After the offensive production the last half of 2020 through the 2021 season, my assumption was that being prepared to quickly hire an exciting OC would have been a priority to get a lift in recruiting & the portal.

But I guess that's just crazy talk.

After the offensive production the last half of 2020 through the 2021 season, my assumption was that being prepared to quickly hire an exciting OC would have been a priority to get a lift in recruiting & the portal.

But I guess that's just crazy talk.
Hiring a promising OC, if not a totally exciting one, well before the early signing period was the most important priority the athletic department had. And they blew it.

kD former WR, OC and current head coach will sell a vision on how the team will play next year. It is the head coach that usually closes the deal unless you have an elite super coordinator that is an elite recruiter.
FYI, recruits care deeply about how well they get along with the position coach they'll be playing for and their skill fit for the system the team runs. They rarely commit to the school. You're right that the HC has to be someone they believe in and who they feel has prioritized them.

Hiring a promising OC, if not a totally exciting one, well before the early signing period was the most important priority the athletic department had. And they blew it.
Was that the priority, though? Say they‘d hired somebody like Sowder from Kent State (young, promising OC) on your ideal timeline; are we really thinking that was going to provide some jolt to the offensive prep recruiting? Maybe, but I just don’t see it.

Was that the priority, though? Say they‘d hired somebody like Sowder from Kent State (young, promising OC) on your ideal timeline; are we really thinking that was going to provide some jolt to the offensive prep recruiting? Maybe, but I just don’t see it.
Sowder, or equivalent, could have at least sold a vision to prospects. Given recruits something tangible to consider prior to the early signing period. Now, those recruits have nothing but a washed up HC whose offense failed miserably in 2021.

I don't necessarily see it either as far as a bump in recruiting for ESD, but it will be pretty important for portal recruiting. Not much more time to waste IMO.

No.

1. Making 3 million dollars a year is hard in any profession. Dealing with boosters and fans is the hard part of being a college coach.

2. The decision to replace Chev should have been made weeks if not month ago and that means that discussions about and with the new OC should have been taking place months or weeks ago.

3. Our shinny new OC should be in place so that talented offensive players can evaluate and hopefully chose CU based on that hire.

This is amateur hour and there is NO way to spin it.

No.

1. Making 3 million dollars a year is hard in any profession. Dealing with boosters and fans is the hard part of being a college coach.

2. The decision to replace Chev should have been made weeks if not month ago and that means that discussions about and with the new OC should have been taking place months or weeks ago.

3. Our shinny new OC should be in place so that talented offensive players can evaluate and hopefully chose CU based on that hire.

Yep. Cry me a river. It's like bitching that you've got a multi million $ CEO job and play "woe is me" over having to deal with a BOD, shareholders, public relations and recruitment/hiring/retention.

My alternate theory, as opposed to the very real possibility of RG and KD being unprepared slothful dullards, is that they've already made offers to a few good candidates and have been turned down. In fact, I'd give that alternative a 50% chance of being true. And yes, I'm aware that both things could be true.....

No.

1. Im sure we waited until the end so that Chivs buyout, payout, or whatever was lower AFTER the season ended.
2. I wouldnt be surprised to find out there was a list and “thanks, but no thanks” was the response.
3. Sadly, Were probably on the B list candidates or the start over list now because moves were already made.

Pessimistic, eh? 🤣

Last edited:
1. Im sure we waited until the end so that Chivs buyout, payout, or whatever was lower AFTER the season ended.
2. I wouldnt be surprised to find out there was a list and “thanks, but no thanks” was the response.
3. Sadly, Were probably on the B list candidates or the start over list now because moves were already made.
Chev is owed the rest of this contract year and the contract for next year. It will be offset if he is not unemployed in coaching, so the earlier he could start his job hunt the better for CU's finances.

I agree but RG and KD could have found the intersection of “want to get” candidates and “can get candidates” much sooner.

If we had an underwhelming hire, people would still be complaining but at least we would be on a path

I agree but RG and KD could have found the intersection of “want to get” candidates and “can get candidates” much sooner.

If we had an underwhelming hire, people would still be complaining but at least we would be on a path
SO, if you were a prospective OC candidate and you looked at where CU is now, was recently, and how KD is viewed by and large, would you take on this rebuilding project? Knowing he might be fired, and you along with him, end of next season?

I think this job is a tough sell.

Pessimistic, eh? 🤣
B list?!?! That’s generous.

SO, if you were a prospective OC candidate and you looked at where CU is now, was recently, and how KD is viewed by and large, would you take on this rebuilding project? Knowing he might be fired, and you along with him, end of next season?

You would take the job if they pay you enough and you’ve been unfairly passed over during other interviews.

The main selling points would be:

1. Big pay increase with the security of a 3-year contract.
2. P5 Coordinator job added to my resume.
3. Taking over an offense that will improve no matter who the OC is since it was so bad in 2021 and a huge % of production & snaps return.

So you're likely not going to attract someone who already has a pretty solid gig as a current P5 OC. You might struggle enticing a former HC who wouldn't be impressed by the pay. The pond you're fishing in would be G5/FCS/D2 OCs, position coaches wanting to make the jump, journeymen looking for a job, and some of the fired HCs who are still ambitious and want a rehab job. The job should be very attractive for anyone in these groups.

Last edited:

For $600,000, yes there are plenty of young up and coming coaches that would take on that challenge.
The fact we haven’t found that guy is just another example of the clown show that is the leadership of CU football

For $600,000, yes there are plenty of young up and coming coaches that would take on that challenge.
The fact we haven’t found that guy is just another example of the clown show that is the leadership of CU football
I think most here agree, CU will not do the logical thing. They will defer to HCKD and his supposed wisdom and he’ll hire a friend of a friend from the NFL assistant coaching ranks and we’ll be fvcked.

Last edited:
Ugh....

Back