What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

How about an optimistic take? I think it’s possible that they have a deal in place with Marion but aren’t announcing it until after the Pitt bowl game. Nik mentioned there was ‘smoke’ around Marion a week ago and since then Pitt has lost their OC but hasn’t promoted Marion even though he is well thought of there. Maybe he agreed to stay on to help them out by coaching in the bowl game. 🤷‍♂️

How about an optimistic take? I think it’s possible that they have a deal in place with Marion but aren’t announcing it until after the Pitt bowl game. Nik mentioned there was ‘smoke’ around Marion a week ago and since then Pitt has lost their OC but hasn’t promoted Marion even though he is well thought of there. Maybe he agreed to stay on to help them out by coaching in the bowl game. 🤷‍♂️
This is a promotion. It wouldn't be viewed as him jumping ship. There is no reason they couldn't announce it if that were the hire. Pitt doesn't play until Dec 30.

My take is KD definitely prepared for this, for as much as I don't think KD is a good HC, it's not for lack of trying. He probably had a list going, but that list is probably loaded with NFL guys because that's where he has spent the majority of his recent career. Since he got fired by UCLA in 2007, he has spent all of 1 year at the college level before becoming the HC here. His rolodex is NFL af. So, we're probably waiting for the NFL season to end to make the hire.

If asked about the recruiting aspect, I think KD would say it's more about making the right hire.

So, to us, it looks like a mess with no urgency, which the lack of urgency isn't wrong, but I doubt any of us are longing for some NFL guy to roll in and bring an NFL system with him, so we discount that possibility.

My take is KD definitely prepared for this, for as much as I don't think KD is a good HC, it's not for lack of trying. He probably had a list going, but that list is probably loaded with NFL guys because that's where he has spent the majority of his recent career. Since he got fired by UCLA in 2007, he has spent all of 1 year at the college level before becoming the HC here. His rolodex is NFL af. So, we're probably waiting for the NFL season to end to make the hire.

If asked about the recruiting aspect, I think KD would say it's more about making the right hire.

So, to us, it looks like a mess with no urgency, which the lack of urgency isn't wrong, but I doubt any of us are longing for some NFL guy to roll in and bring an NFL system with him, so we discount that possibility.

Nice pep talk.

While that may be true, I have lived in LA since ‘92, and I don’t think I’ve heard much positive about any UCLA coach since I’ve been here (until—maybe—the very end of this year with Chip finally getting some wins; it’s been ugly since he got here).
Not sure this was a KD issue. He did better than most. You should hear talk radio here tear down USC… for years and years now…. The Sark issues and firing? Flames and lava. All well earned.
Of course, I love to hear UCLA and USC trashed daily on talk radio. It’s really the only reason to listen.
Yeah. Every coach since Donahue has struggled. Kind of comparable to CU. Except when we suck, we go the extra mile. No 4-5's for us. We like to do the 0-9's or the 1-8's. We are ****ing great at sucking.

You didn't always live in Manhattan? If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.
Nope. Never lived in any city called Manhattan, although I still feel proud that my first land ownership was on Manhattan Drive in Boulder, CO.

While that may be true, I have lived in LA since ‘92, and I don’t think I’ve heard much positive about any UCLA coach since I’ve been here (until—maybe—the very end of this year with Chip finally getting some wins; it’s been ugly since he got here).
Not sure this was a KD issue. He did better than most. You should hear talk radio here tear down USC… for years and years now…. The Sark issues and firing? Flames and lava. All well earned.
Of course, I love to hear UCLA and USC trashed daily on talk radio. It’s really the only reason to listen.
Many of buddies in LA were tuned in Bruins football fans. I trust their opinions about the state of their program, as they understand college football. Dorrell isn’t a better head coach of college football today than he was in the mid-2000s. That’s a major problem for Colorado.

Nope. Never lived in any city called Manhattan, although I still feel proud that my first land ownership was on Manhattan Drive in Boulder, CO.
They let you own land in a Boulder? I figured you could only be a guardian of the land there

I think the likely possibility is that KD feels no urgency to make the hires.
Given that he feels no urgency to recruit high level prospects, and that he believes it's more important to hire great teachers - this is entirely accurate.

Making a hire on a timeline to improve recruiting doesn't make any sense to him. It's more important to get a good teacher in place, because good teachers can work with any player that really wants to be a Buff.

Given that he feels no urgency to recruit high level prospects, and that he believes it's more important to hire great teachers - this is entirely accurate.

Making a hire on a timeline to improve recruiting doesn't make any sense to him. It's more important to get a good teacher in place, because good teachers can work with any player that really wants to be a Buff.

This should be the biggest red flag for any AD. When a coach rolls in and disregards recruiting in favor of "teaching" or "coaching em up" you gotta end that ****ing interview immediately

..or sign that coach to a fully guaranteed contract

You’re probably spot on. This is what makes me feel like this…

Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

This should be the biggest red flag for any AD. When a coach rolls in and disregards recruiting in favor of "teaching" or "coaching em up" you gotta end that ****ing interview immediately

..or sign that coach to a fully guaranteed contract
It's OK if the new guy isn't as good at recruiting if your last coach built up an sec style recruiting operation because you can just keep that operation running.

Many of buddies in LA were tuned in Bruins football fans. I trust their opinions about the state of their program, as they understand college football. Dorrell isn’t a better head coach of college football today than he was in the mid-2000s. That’s a major problem for Colorado.
How many fans speak fondly of their past, fired coaches in any city? Except for Barnett here, maybe, for different reasons. There are a few.

5 bowl games in 5 years? Competing against Pete’s juggernaut at USC (paying players?). Sure. That’s not enough in LA. But a reasonably young HC’s only shot? I don’t get why everyone presumes that a HC can’t get better a second time around? Sure things sucked this year. No doubt. We’ll see.

How many fans speak fondly of their past, fired coaches in any city? Except for Barnett here, maybe, for different reasons. There are a few.

5 bowl games in 5 years? Competing against Pete’s juggernaut at USC (paying players?). Sure. That’s not enough in LA. But a reasonably young HC’s only shot? I don’t get why everyone presumes that a HC can’t get better a second time around? Sure things sucked this year. No doubt. We’ll see.
I feel like you don’t understand what I wrote. Let me be clearer: 1) while Dorrell was coaching UCLA, the people whose opinions about college football I trust and who also follow UCLA did not like his performance largely because recruiting degraded as he was the coach. He has not improved. He is probably worse today than he was a decade and a half ago. At least then, his offensive concepts weren’t totally outdated. 2) Dorrell has been bad since day one at Colorado. His inability to put together a staff that can recruit and produce a competitive on field product is really poor. Colorado was lucky to win four games this season.

Back