What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

waiting gif GIF

I know I’m the leader of the Grahame Harrell fan boy club (I don’t even like Air Raid that much) but this move is the most obvious thing ever.
1. give Harrell OC and Associate Head Coach title
2. Handshake agreement that if things go well Harrell takes over for KD after 2023 season
3. Bring in Kedon Slovis from the portal. Day 1 starter while Lewis, Shrout learn offense.

I ask you to take your Air Raid bias out for a second and consider a candidate who is young, experienced play caller at multiple P5 schools, good Recruiter that also knows our Cali and TX footprint and is widely considered to be a future head coach. Who in this board is saying no to that qualification list as an OC candidate? Hits every 1 of my wish list check boxes.

I know I’m the leader of the Grahame Harrell fan boy club (I don’t even like Air Raid that much) but this move is the most obvious thing ever.
1. give Harrell OC and Associate Head Coach title
2. Handshake agreement that if things go well Harrell takes over for KD after 2023 season
3. Bring in Kedon Slovis from the portal. Day 1 starter while Lewis, Shrout learn offense.

I ask you to take your Air Raid bias out for a second and consider a candidate who is young, experienced play caller at multiple P5 schools, good Recruiter that also knows our Cali and TX footprint and is widely considered to be a future head coach. Who in this board is saying no to that qualification list as an OC candidate? Hits every 1 of my wish list check boxes.

I would actually be excited about this entire scenario, but #2 will never happen. Contrary to popular desire, Karl Dorrell does not want to hire his replacement.

First, I doubt very seriously Harrell would come here.

Second, if he is all that and a bag of chips, why was SC somewhat pedestrian (by their standards) on offense? 2019 20th, 2020 46th, and 2021 25th in total offense. Granted, I would be ecstatic with those numbers for CU's total offense, but that is kind of average, at best, given SC's athletic firepower.

So those are two reasons I would prefer CU look elsewhere. Having said that, I would not be upset if that was the way CU went.

I highly doubt HCKD is going far from his NFL roots. We will see something that looks NFL ish IMO. Whoever said HCKD is probably waiting on the NFL season to end to hire some NFL cast off is probably way more right than they are wrong.

Well, we are on a CU fan board, so ...
I think the best you can hope for in this context is that Rick George has discussed the need for a modern offensive philosophy/system and an OC who is going to design the nuances of said offense and call plays to fit the personnel, not force the personnel into a static system.

Second, if he is all that and a bag of chips, why was SC somewhat pedestrian (by their standards) on offense? 2019 20th, 2020 46th, and 2021 25th in total offense. Granted, I would be ecstatic with those numbers for CU's total offense, but that is kind of average, at best, given SC's athletic firepower.

So those are two reasons I would prefer CU look elsewhere. Having said that, I would not be upset if that was the way CU went.

I highly doubt HCKD is going far from his NFL roots. We will see something that looks NFL ish IMO. Whoever said HCKD is probably waiting on the NFL season to end to hire some NFL cast off is probably way more right than they are wrong.
I haven’t seen his name pop up with any other current OC or HC openings unless I missed it.

Hopefully coaching for the Buffs is better than no job at all. Maybe it isn’t who knows.

If you think Rick George is hiring the OC and giving him a handshake agreement that he is going to supplant his own Head Coaching hire, you are delusional
I think Rick could spin that move pretty easily. “KD was the stability that we needed at the time and these past few years but my job is to also look out for the future of the program blah blah” stuff like that.

I think Rick could spin that move pretty easily. “KD was the stability that we needed at the time and these past few years but my job is to also look out for the future of the program blah blah” stuff like that.
Can you point to a single statement or even rumor from the AD to suggest that RG would do something like that? Saying that he could do something is kind of meaningless when he won’t do it.

Can you point to a single statement or even rumor from the AD to suggest that RG would do something like that? Saying that he could do something is kind of meaningless when he won’t do it.
If we had tangible evidence that this AD or Rick didn’t have their head up their a** do you think we would be in this mess right now?

I’m hoping we for once in a decade can do something different by making the smart move.

So Pat Shurmer is the one?

Graham Harrell was given a lot of shine for being great under Littrell for the UNT turnaround. He was super hyped.

But what did he do at USC to make me believe the hype was and still is justified? I saw a lot of disappointing offense & QBs fleeing to the portal.

Now you’re telegraphing to your future OC that you’re the kind of boss who might hire your replacement before you’re fired and even if the performance of your team improves, you still might be fired.

Honestly, this sounds easy but can you think of a single example in the history of college football where a head coach on the hot seat was fired following a season in which the team improved and was then replaced by an assistant on the existing staff?

Now you’re telegraphing to your future OC that you’re the kind of boss who might hire your replacement before you’re fired and even if the performance of your team improves, you still might be fired.

Honestly, this sounds easy but can you think of a single example in the history of college football where a head coach on the hot seat was fired following a season in which the team improved and was then replaced by an assistant on the existing staff?
Yep. The path would be KD retiring and the OC who we fall in love with for orchestrating the offense that got our program back to consistent respectability & relevancy being the guy who gets the HC job promotion.

KD getting fired will not lead to a promotion for anyone on staff. But there are examples of successful vet coaches getting pushed into retirement to make room.

just assume the worst and we won't be disappointed.

the p12 is loading up with coaches that know how to win-- tough, run the ball, play defense.

we are in an arms race we won't win without a miracle or 2. i am currently fixated on the transfer portal as the method to a miracle. preparing for bitter disappointment, of course, but still the tiny shred of crushed but not destroyed hope remains.

Has Jason Eck’s name come up (South Dakota State OC)?

I just read his bio and it appears that he coached two seasons at CU sometime in the early 2000's, presumably as a GA. I think that two year stint disqualifies him for a large number of board constituents.

• Haha
Reactions: DBT
Sowder along with everyone else who bases things off Art Briles' concepts has the Power Veer as the foundation of their offense.

I just read his bio and see that he is a Baylor alum. That will disqualify him for a large number of board constituents.

• Haha
Reactions: DBT
I just read his bio and see that he is a Baylor alum. That will disqualify him for a large number of board constituents.
Unless you were part of sweeping sexual assault allegations under the rug, I can deal with being associated with the rest of the way they did things (even though a lot is the underbelly of major college athletics which is kind of icky & needs to remain behind closed doors). I don't think we really want white knights - because they lose. We want the appearance of a squeaky clean program that doesn't have the types of missteps that cause organized protests & lawsuits.

Unless you were part of sweeping sexual assault allegations under the rug, I can deal with being associated with the rest of the way they did things (even though a lot is the underbelly of major college athletics which is kind of icky & needs to remain behind closed doors). I don't think we really want white knights - because they lose. We want the appearance of a squeaky clean program that doesn't have the types of missteps that cause organized protests & lawsuits.
lance armstrong news GIF

Back