What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Sanford would be about as good a hire at OC as CU has seen, on paper. His pedigree is outstanding. RC/QB/RB coach for several years at Stanford under Shaw. OC/QB for several years at Notre Dame under Kelly. Hired away from ND to be HC at Western Kentucky. OC at a successful Minnesota.

I'm not pumping for the guy, he doesn't appear the best thing since sliced bread. I do think he would be an interesting hire, a better hire than I would ever expected out of KD for the OC position. If he is the guy I won't be jumping for joy but I won't be as bummed out as I'm expecting to be.

Sanford would be about as good a hire at OC as CU has seen, on paper. His pedigree is outstanding. RC/QB/RB coach for several years at Stanford under Shaw. OC/QB for several years at Notre Dame under Kelly. Hired away from ND to be HC at Western Kentucky. OC at a successful Minnesota.

I'm not pumping for the guy, he doesn't appear the best thing since sliced bread. I do think he would be an interesting hire, a better hire than I would ever expected out of KD for the OC position. If he is the guy I won't be jumping for joy but I won't be as bummed out as I'm expecting to be.
He wouldn’t be a bad hire by any means, but I’ve already gone full Marion in my mind, with the possibility that he could truly set CU apart from other programs with a very unique and hard to prepare for offense.

He wouldn’t be a bad hire by any means, but I’ve already gone full Marion in my mind, with the possibility that he could truly set CU apart from other programs with a very unique and hard to prepare for offense.

Yep. I bet that would be the predominate feeling of board denizens.

With the OLine and system the Gophers have in place, you could place me back there and run for 250 a game. It has NOTHING to do with the RBs. The system the Gophers ran the last few years would fail miserably here because our OLine is straight a$$. It would be a very bad approach.

NOTE: Not disparaging the Gopher RBs. They are as good, if not better than ours.
Fixing the O-line should be a priority no matter what system we run; don't let the deficits in the O-line determine what system we run.

If the new poster is in the know then we know two of the three finalists. Whose behind door number three?
059d8b2f32b82d69026dd85505421fdca9318935.png

It will also show one other thing. KD is unwilling to even attempt to take a coach who is currently employed.
Maxie - HS
Wilson - Unemployed (original hire)
Langsdorf - Unemployed
Rod - HS
Smith - Employed by a school that didn't play football
Turley - Unemployed
Everyone else he "hired" already worked for CU .

It will also show one other thing. KD is unwilling to even attempt to take a coach who is currently employed.
Maxie - HS
Langsdorf - Unemployed
Rod - HS
Turley - Unemployed
Maybe not necessarily unwilling. Maybe the only type of guy we could attract

Maxie - HS
Langsdorf - Unemployed
Rod - HS
Turley - Unemployed
Hopefully this means that David Beaty is on the short list to be our WR Coach.

Cleared of all wrongdoing in that b.s. orchestrated by Long to avoid paying him his buyout at KU.

"After nearly three years of this debacle, there has been no finding by anyone that David has ever violated any NCAA rule, and as we sit here today we now have a confirmation that there's not even an allegation that David has ever violated an NCAA rule. This is vindication for David Beaty, for Raynee Beaty, for the entire Beaty family," attorney Michael Lyons said at a press conference from his firm's Dallas office on Thursday.

The last two seasons on the metaphorical sideline and away from the actual sideline were not a total wash for Beaty. He spent time with his recently-deceased mother. He reconnected with his two daughters. He consulted for a number of programs. And he did some recruiting, which will be his quickest ticket back to coaching.

"I've been able to be around a bunch of high schools with a bunch of great players, so I feel like I prepared myself to stay up with the time with regards to where the best players are located, and I think that's going to serve me well as I move forward."

Hopefully this means that David Beaty is on the short list to be our WR Coach.

Cleared of all wrongdoing in that b.s. orchestrated by Long to avoid paying him his buyout at KU.

"After nearly three years of this debacle, there has been no finding by anyone that David has ever violated any NCAA rule, and as we sit here today we now have a confirmation that there's not even an allegation that David has ever violated an NCAA rule. This is vindication for David Beaty, for Raynee Beaty, for the entire Beaty family," attorney Michael Lyons said at a press conference from his firm's Dallas office on Thursday.

The last two seasons on the metaphorical sideline and away from the actual sideline were not a total wash for Beaty. He spent time with his recently-deceased mother. He reconnected with his two daughters. He consulted for a number of programs. And he did some recruiting, which will be his quickest ticket back to coaching.

"I've been able to be around a bunch of high schools with a bunch of great players, so I feel like I prepared myself to stay up with the time with regards to where the best players are located, and I think that's going to serve me well as I move forward."
These are the types of coaches I am ok with CU taking a chance on. Same with Turley.

This is where I am. I told myself not to get my hopes up for Marion, but my self loathing as a CU fan did anyways and now I'll be bummed by most options if it isn't him..

CU is a ****ty program. Boulder is very expensive. Therefore, in order to attract coaches to CU...

1. Has to be a promotion (position coach to coordinator, coordinator to head coach)
2. Has to be an over the top pay increase

CU is not in the market for coaches making any kind of lateral move. Since CU isn't in the business of buying out multi-year Head Coach and/or coordinator contracts, #1 is few and far between. Since CU is apparently the poorest AD in the country, #2 is very unlikely to happen. Therefore, the CU coaching pool is basically limited to the unemployment line, or guys like Sanford who have failed, but want to keep a coordinator role.

This is where I am. I told myself not to get my hopes up for Marion, but my self loathing as a CU fan did anyways and now I'll be bummed by most options if it isn't him..
I'm wondering why Oakie Salave and Brendon Lewis (among others) would just start following Marion in recent days. I wouldn't think that players and new recruits would be privy to the ongoing interview and hiring process until agreements were in place. It's those little things that keep my hopes up.

I'm wondering why Oakie Salave and Brendon Lewis (among others) would just start following Marion in recent days. I wouldn't think that players and new recruits would be privy to the ongoing interview and hiring process until agreements were in place. It's those little things that keep my hopes up.
Some of them following Sanford as well.

With the OLine and system the Gophers have in place, you could place me back there and run for 250 a game. It has NOTHING to do with the RBs. The system the Gophers ran the last few years would fail miserably here because our OLine is straight a$$. It would be a very bad approach.

NOTE: Not disparaging the Gopher RBs. They are as good, if not better than ours.
I was just about to post the same thing. That Gopher offense works because they have the horses upfront.

Back