What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU coach shows wisdom that was missing in Bzdelik

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
RAMSEY: CU coach shows wisdom that was missing in Bzdelik
L-P's Scott, Sierra's Gordon will soon join Buffs

Colorado coach Tad Boyle delivers hope to a basketball program that has spent most of the past four decades wandering around lost. Boyle, unlike many of his predecessors, is blessed with an eye for basketball talent.

How do I know this?

He was perceptive enough to pursue and sign 6-foot-9 Josh Scott of Lewis-Palmer and 6-7 Wesley Gordon of Sierra. These big men arrive in Boulder next season and will help Boyle direct the Buffs back to the NCAA Tournament. CU has played in the NCAA’s Big Show only twice in the past 42 seasons.

Boyle and the Buffs play Air Force on Wednesday at Clune Arena, renewing an in-state rivalry that never should have ended.

When Boyle signed Scott and Gordon, he showed his understanding of the need – the requirement, really – to keep Colorado’s best players in Colorado. The recent norm for CU coaches has been to show baffling blindness.

Former CU coach Jeff Bzdelik wasted a chance to recruit former Palmer mega-star Reggie Jackson, who badly wanted to play for the Buffs.

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/boyle-128934-ramsey-cqlouis.html#ixzz1eh0tjw3q

I was always a big Bz supporter, so it pains me to read this. I still think he's the man who got this program on the right track. He's the one who is responsible for getting Bohn to man up and start building the new practice facility.

Reggie Jackson getting away really disappointed me. It's one thing to have a CO kid bounce to a basketball factory like a North Carolina if they're set on it, but to let a great player like Reggie Jackson slip away to Boston College when he really wanted to become a Buff was just inexcusable on Bzdelik's part. As a side note on Bzdelik, I believe things have worked out perfectly -- Bzdelik was the perfect guy to bring CU out of the doldrums and build a solid foundation for the program, but he wasn't the guy who was going to ever establish CU as a top 25 basketball program. While it's still too early to really be sure about Boyle, the indications certainly point to things working out perfectly in terms of Tad being the guy to establish CU as a perennial top Pac-12 team.

CO basketball certainly has some gems. So happy we didn't let Scott and Gordon slip away. Crossing my fingers that Xavier Talton will be a pleasant surprise as well

The difference between Bzdelic and Boyle is clearly that Boyle is a Colorado guy. I truly believe CU is his dream job. Bzdelic viewed CU as a stepping stone. I also would not be surprised if his primary goal is to return to the NBA. I also get the feeling that Boyle is more passionate about recruiting.

So Jackson "badly wanted to play for CU" then got a CU offer but instead decided to go 2000 miles away and play at an average basketball school? That sure makes a lot of sense. clearly he didn't want to go to CU that badly.

Back