What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Plus saying that UW and UO wouldn't go to the B1G for less money is pretty comical. Like they wouldn't take at least 50% more than they'd be getting in the Pac. Sure.
It depends on for how long.

In That 18 team conference the A team is still tOSU and UM. Then PSU, MSU and Wiscy certain years. After that no one else gets in prime TV slots unless they happen to be playing one of the A teams. In other words, a national audience once a year. Yet the A teams get a national audience weekly. Funny how they get all those recruits.

Count the schools that have been in that conference for a decade now with full share and all that money and they still cant win.

It depends on for how long.

In That 18 team conference the A team is still tOSU and UM. Then PSU, MSU and Wiscy certain years. After that no one else gets in prime TV slots unless they happen to be playing one of the A teams. In other words, a national audience once a year. Yet the A teams get a national audience weekly. Funny how they get all those recruits.

Count the schools that have been in that conference for a decade now with full share and all that money and they still cant win.
I see your point. It's interesting.

My knee jerk reaction is that it's wrong, but... it's definitely making me pause and think.

One data point that is pertinent: during the 1990s when games that were "nationally broadcast" was a realistic measure of value (as opposed to now, when purdud vs northwestern is technically a "national broadcast" when it airs at 10 am on btn, but when it meant "abc, nbc, cbs, fox, or espn is broadcasting it on their 'main channel.'")

Anyway, the term meant something.

In the 90s, the school with the most "national broadcasts" was... Notre Dame.

Okay. Not surprising.

But number 2 is interesting.

Which was it?

tOSU, Michigan, bama, USC, OU, UTerus, Miami, FSU?

One of those, right?

Nope.

It was lil' ol' CU.

When the bigs are rolling, they pull the attention, broadcasts, and recruits.

And yeah, purdud can't get the big noon kickoff game.

But the data says that Colorado can.

I see your point. It's interesting.

My knee jerk reaction is that it's wrong, but... it's definitely making me pause and think.

One data point that is pertinent: during the 1990s when games that were "nationally broadcast" was a realistic measure of value (as opposed to now, when purdud vs northwestern is technically a "national broadcast" when it airs at 10 am on btn, but when it meant "abc, nbc, cbs, fox, or espn is broadcasting it on their 'main channel.'")

Anyway, the term meant something.

In the 90s, the school with the most "national broadcasts" was... Notre Dame.

Okay. Not surprising.

But number 2 is interesting.

Which was it?

tOSU, Michigan, bama, USC, OU, UTerus, Miami, FSU?

One of those, right?

Nope.

It was lil' ol' CU.

When the bigs are rolling, they pull the attention, broadcasts, and recruits.

And yeah, purdud can't get the big noon kickoff game.

But the data says that Colorado can.
Correct. And Gary Barnett turned that NW program around and they were on TV in Miami Fl playing Joe Tiller’s Purdue team. Which I watched.

I asked my dad this week when the last time he’d seen Northwestern or Purdue on in Miami on ABC and he cant remember. Maybe Purdue once.

The reality is that the B1G and SEC have a lot of inventory to use but they only have two important time slots that they can use. My fear is that if we joined either conference we’d be lost in the crowd like NU has been.

Right now we have coach Prime to set us apart. But Prime is not gonna live forever. So we better make the most of it.

People are eating dinner. Then they go to bed. Youre not getting the viewers you get at noon and 330

I was actually wrong about Saturday night according to this article. So hat tip to @CarolinaBuff on that. I realize that I biased myself because I rarely watch the night game because were busy as a family.

The night game wasnt always the top rated game but it was when a marquee game was put there.

The highest ratings timeslot week over week was 3pm.

All networks are rated by game and by week and by year here:

Saturday night football does well.

Just as Friday nights are more valuable than we acknowledge.

Sports bars.
The FSU Louisville game was the highest rated Friday game all season in 2022 (only 3 games had an audience over 1 million):

week3cfb.png

Last edited:
People are eating dinner. Then they go to bed. Youre not getting the viewers you get at noon and 330
From 3 years of working in a sports bar on a block full of sports bars where there viewing parties for no less than 5 alumni groups of different schools on an average Saturday, the evening slot gets more than it's fair share of attention and dollars spent.

Right now, CBS has one B1G game/week that is almost assuredly going to be 2nd or 3rd best option of the week, which is very different than they’ve had with the SEC. Seems that they feel like they may need to add inventory

So funny. Of course the B12 crowd starts turning on him when he posts some favorable P12 news.

We damn well know the P12 has been shopping the CU spring game as proof we can draw ratings. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of our first games does +7M.

Here’s who’s interested. At this point it would be harder to find a list of who isn’t interested.

ESPN/ABC
Fox
CBS
Apple
Amazon
CW
NBC (USA Network)
Ion

Saw this Scheer post on AZ 247 from a couple days ago. Scheer has a lot of insider information at CU that no CU people are privy to /s

Internal message at Colorado is that there is a legitimate chance a move is made by the end of the month. Deion pushing hard for it.

I have heard ASU is now leaning towards being in the Pac-12 no matter what. Arizona is still more likely to leave than not. Real chance they split up.

George K recently went to Boulder to meet with Colorado AD to convince him everything will work out. Spent multiple days there.

Saw this post on AZ 247 from a couple days ago. Scheer has a lot of insider information at CU that no CU people are privy to /s
As all of us know, as influential as Prime is, there is a 0.1% chance he has a say in this matter*

*I will leave a very small caveat in this assertion and that’s if he somehow agrees to a buyout that makes it impossible to leave CU in the next 10 years.

Right now, CBS has one B1G game/week that is almost assuredly going to be 2nd or 3rd best option of the week, which is very different than they’ve had with the SEC. Seems that they feel like they may need to add inventory

The shoe Ive been waiting for to drop. It was hard for me to believe they’d actually be ok with only the 2nd choice B1G game and accept the ratings losses that go with losing the SEC. In a time of shareholder value at a publicly traded company trying to launch a streaming service that might not sit well with investors. CBS years ago lost the NFL and that hurt their ratings with other programming. So they jumped backed in when the chance came.

Could this be the underpaying but high linear exposure weve been looking for?

Last edited:
Saw this Scheer post on AZ 247 from a couple days ago. Scheer has a lot of insider information at CU that no CU people are privy to /s
This bozo keeps pushing this b.s. so Arizona has a buddy in the B12. F’ing ridiculous. I don’t want to lose the Phoenix market but since UA is the only one who actually wants the B12… maybe they should gtfo. 🤷‍♂️

If you wait two weeks you will have 20 pages to get caught up.

Just three pages...much less than what I would have had to do if I did read every post from the last six months before I decided to post on this board again. Truth be told that I skipped to the latest page at the time because all of that stuff between then and now is just full of steaming buffalo chip.

That's what I suspected based on Dodd's recent tweets. He works for them.

Isn't the MWC on cbssports ?

They don't have to put it on CBS Sports but they could do Paramount+ with the GOTW games on CBS.

That's why I'm hoping Apple is the winner in this case since they could do all the games and put them all on Apple TV+.

CBS Sports is the division of CBS that includes all its sports assets, including things like 247.

CBS Sport Net is the cable channel. Could be content for that, but could be a weekly game slot for the main CBS station (for which they have lost quite a bit).

Just three pages...much less than what I would have had to do if I did read every post from the last six months before I decided to post on this board again. Truth be told that I skipped to the latest page at the time because all of that stuff between then and now is just full of steaming buffalo chip.

That's what I suspected based on Dodd's recent tweets. He works for them.

They don't have to put it on CBS Sports but they could do Paramount+ with the GOTW games on CBS.

That's why I'm hoping Apple is the winner in this case since they could do all the games and put them all on Apple TV+.
If AppleTV+ gets it all the PAC as we know it will not be the same schools.

If this does happen, then we’ve got 3 slots accounted for:

Friday 4:30pm PT/7:30pm ET - Amazon
Saturday 1:30pm PT/4:30pm ET - CBS
Saturday 7:30pm PT/10:30pm ET - ESPN

Pretty good exposure. Can get creative with those remaining 2-3 slots.
Where does CBS’s B1G game go?

Back