What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

six schools just became AAU members. Virginia Tech is still not, but somehow Miami and ND both got in. and USF, ffs. and ASU, fffffs.

USF
Notre Dame
Arizona State
Miami
University of California - Riverside
George Washington

link
The "4 Corners" are now even more justified in working to strengthen alliances. Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State all being AAU universities within the region and representing the 3 major growth states and metros from the Mountain Zone is a strong foundation for partnering. True peers.

It actually makes the idea of moving to the Big 12 much more palatable to me if we make that move together.

Stanford and Cal would both love that, but ya, there's no incentive for Northwestern or Vandy to leave the money of the B1G/ SEC.
You could do it without them and be at 10. They'd consider the invite at that point and, frankly, their current conference would probably be happy if they left.

The "4 Corners" are now even more justified in working to strengthen alliances. Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State all being AAU universities within the region and representing the 3 major growth states and metros from the Mountain Zone is a strong foundation for partnering. True peers.

It actually makes the idea of moving to the Big 12 much more palatable to me if we make that move together.
i do admit that i hate the idea of the truck stop 12 marginally less if all 4 corners join. at least we won't be alone in our disdain for our new conference brethren.

and, asu gets to tell the world that they are no longer the worst school in their conference!

i kid. i kid.

The move to the Big 12 would just be a seven year layover before arriving in the B1G unless it is done much sooner. Makes it easier for the B1G to break the P12 up by inviting the 4C schools plus Cal & Stanford (if they really want to go) then force OR & WA's legislatures to let UO & UW go to the B1G without OSU & WSU. That is how a PAC-B1G merger happens.

Miami, GT, UNC, and UVA are definitely on their way to the B1G. FSU, Clemson, NCSU, and VT to the SEC and that would occur in 2036.

The 4C schools + BYU in addition to KU, KSU, ISU, and TT would give some kind of Big 8 vibe. TT has already secured funding that could get them into the AAU down the road. I like the idea of CU staying in the P12 too but money.....

We haven’t heard of CU working with the others. UA and ASU seem to be tight. They’re aligned publicly. CU doesn’t seem to be aligned with anyone publicly than ourselves. That’s not entirely different than UO but we seem to have put the most distance between ourselves and the rest of the conference.

so many posts, so little information.
Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF

Only in the same way going to the B1G or SEC would be bad for CU football. I’m all on board with MBB fans being happy with the program under Tad relative to the program success as a whole, but is what we’ve seen over the past few years from the program really what gets you excited?

I’m just a passive hoops guy, but everything I read here always seems be, “wait til next year!”.
CU goes to the B1G or SEC and our football budget will increase to give us a fighting chance at competing. In hoops, we're not going to get the funding to go up to compete with Big XII teams. And that's fine, we're gonna need that money for football. Football is what gets the money for everything else, and it's the big thing here. But we're going to see a drop in men's hoops with this move. That's not a reason to not go to the Big XII (having to associate with Baylor is), but there are going to be a lot of changes to the athletic department and not all of them are going to be positive. The only hope for hoops is that we only have to spend 3-5 years in the B12 before we are able to jump to the B1G and we can ride that conference's ridiculously overrated metrics to tournament appearances again.

Forget Cal and Stanford, that’s going to be a boon to USC and UCLA recruiting if players there get to share in all that BIG money.
Depends on the details. There are 881 student athletes that attend UCLA. Let’s say they are required to be paid minimum wage. Could be $10-20M. Idk how it’ll shake out that was just an example.

Your source is highly questionable. That shows an incredible lack of understanding. Any of the Ivy’s leaving the Ivy League would be the most shocking event in college football. They dont offer sports scholarships yet suddenly they will to be in the Pac? Those schools dont need exposure to get students and never have.

😂😂😂
This is coming from my Oregon source.
He seems to be the most aligned.

They are actually in court about the scholarships right now and a tough battle.

Also, he never said they are favorites to join the new PAC, he said keep an eye on them as an expansion option and I said don't be shocked if two or three Ivies ended up in the PAC. Yes, there is a lot they would have to do. Add more sports, give scholarships, etc.

Your "source" lost all credibility
I don't believe anyone losses credibility in alignment talk that's a source. Everytime we say a Big XII source including my guys have lost credibility, they end up correct. I called out both of my contacts with the Big XII and said they are lying about ESPN. They were right. If anything, is my Washington contact lying. She's been saying they will be in the B1G. They are still in the Pac-12. Is she now lacking credibility?

i do admit that i hate the idea of the truck stop 12 marginally less if all 4 corners join. at least we won't be alone in our disdain for our new conference brethren.

and, asu gets to tell the world that they are no longer the worst school in their conference!

i kid. i kid.
Ill LOL if were the only one that goes to that **** hole dumpster fire of a conference and the rest stay.

When Deion goes bye bye, and someday he will, everything will be stark and bleak.

The move to the Big 12 would just be a seven year layover before arriving in the B1G unless it is done much sooner. Makes it easier for the B1G to break the P12 up by inviting the 4C schools plus Cal & Stanford (if they really want to go) then force OR & WA's legislatures to let UO & UW go to the B1G without OSU & WSU. That is how a PAC-B1G merger happens.

Miami, GT, UNC, and UVA are definitely on their way to the B1G. FSU, Clemson, NCSU, and VT to the SEC and that would occur in 2036.

The 4C schools + BYU in addition to KU, KSU, ISU, and TT would give some kind of Big 8 vibe. TT has already secured funding that could get them into the AAU down the road. I like the idea of CU staying in the P12 too but money.....
Bruh. Were not going to the B1G. Nor is anyone else. The next move is TV making a Super Conference of 16 that includes some kind of relegation system. Thats how Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Rutgers, and Nebraska get left behind. Thats also TV affords future giant payouts. The revenue is shrinking in TV land.

Last edited:

Also, he never said they are favorites to join the new PAC, he said keep an eye on them as an expansion option and I said don't be shocked if two or three Ivies ended up in the PAC. Yes, there is a lot they would have to do. Add more sports, give scholarships, etc.
Your source misunderstands the mission of the Ivys….

in 1945, the presidents of the eight Ivy League schools signed the first Ivy Group Agreement, in which they collectively agreed not to offer athletic scholarships. These schools give the rationale that because students have already showcased their academic or athletic merit to get into the school, they cannot receive any financial aid on top of simply being admitted.

A degree from most of these schools positions one to be pretty much set for life if they take advantage of the network they now have access to.

The lawsuit, which was filed during the first week of March by former and current basketball players at Brown, and names all of the Ivy League schools as defendants, alleges that the schools are price-fixing in violation of antitrust laws.

The plaintiffs argue that the Ivy League’s policy of granting only need-based financial aid rather than athletic scholarships caused them harm, as they could have been awarded athletic scholarships at other Division 1 schools.

The problem with their argument is that those athletes entered into their agreement with the school knowing that there was not scholarship. And they could all also transfer to recieve such benefits. Which ill bet nearly none did.

I don't believe anyone losses credibility in alignment talk that's a source. Everytime we say a Big XII source including my guys have lost credibility, they end up correct. I called out both of my contacts with the Big XII and said they are lying about ESPN. They were right. If anything, is my Washington contact lying. She's been saying they will be in the B1G. They are still in the Pac-12. Is she now lacking credibility?
On this issue, your "source" is incorrect. So very incorrect that it definitely strains their credibility, for sure.

Interesting news regarding AAU status since it relevant as to appeal of a school for realignment, particularly for the B1G. Six new schools were admitted to the AAU, including ASU, Notre Dame, and Miami. Really improves ASU's profile as a B1G candidate, though they've looked like an AAU school for a while now in terms of sheer research volume.

https://www.aau.edu/newsroom/press-...sities-join-association-american-universities

The inclusion of Notre Dame seems really suspect if you look at where they fall on the research rankings. Wonder if the B1G and the ACC just got together and voted them in regardless of their research profile. They are 109th on the National Science Foundations ranking of research expenditures. I'd be pretty pissed if I were the the President of CSU (61), WSU (78), Florida State (83), Nebraska (87), or Oregon State (94). I wonder if its due to that "Ag research doesn't count" policy.
AAU status is so incredibly arbitrary. There are some very good schools who aren’t AAU schools. I honestly don’t believe it’s a valuable measuring stick at all.

The requirements for membership are quite extensive. It looks like there are some arbitrary judgement calls, but well…that is pretty much the game across all academics.

I get the requirements, but it’s still rather arbitrary. So South Florida is an AAU school but Georgia isn’t? Here locally, DU is not an AAU school but is ranked higher than many of the schools that are, including CU. As a measure of academic prestige, AAU status seems rather self serving.

More likely your source conflated things. Stanford and Cal could realistically drop from FBS football and join the Ivy League if certain dominoes fell (UW & UO to B1G, CU, UA, ASU & UU to B12, no B1G to Cal & Furd). Especially possible for Stanford to make that call.

Back