What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Saw that. Agree with the take but I’m skeptical P12 admins haven’t see the deal details or linear exposure. 3-4 weeks and no grumblings to the press about not seeing the deal. Seems like they all know.

Also, this guy spends all day retweeting B12 comments. Why would anyone talk to him.

smu would be a fun addition. do we know where they bury the dead hookers? allegedly.

pony express, mutha flockers.

That McMurphy tweet is one of the strongest reasons to stay put in the P12. Just look at A&M and the resources they have. They shouldn't be 3 out of 11 in that regard.
They have a similar winning % in the SEC as they had in the B12 and the SWC. aggy has always done less with more. Only real success they ever had was with Jackie Sherrill and RC Slocum and they were cheating their asses off and still never won or played for a national championship.
Aggy-Annual-Roller-Coaster-ujy608-550x413.jpg

They have a similar winning % in the SEC as they had in the B12 and the SWC. aggy has always done less with more. Only real success they ever had was with Jackie Sherrill and RC Slocum and they were cheating their asses off and still never won or played for a national championship.
Aggy-Annual-Roller-Coaster-ujy608-550x413.jpg
A&M has an obscene amount of money and does ****-all with it. They've spent enough to have the 5th biggest stadium in the sport, and are currently spending almost $100M on a coach who's less successful than the guy they fired before him. His best result- by far- is the COVID season that produced wacky results (hi, Coach Dorrell!)

They sit in one of the most fertile recruiting regions in the country, and as a result have 2 Heisman winners since WWII but haven't had a top 3 finish in that time- in fact they've only achieved a top 25 finish roughly 1/3rd of the years in that time frame.

They ran off two coaches who later went on to win Nattys (Bear Bryant, because they refused to integrate, and Gene Stallings, because 'mediocrity').

You are correct- no one spends more to do less (except maybe Texas 2010-present)

A&M has an obscene amount of money and does ****-all with it. They've spent enough to have the 5th biggest stadium in the sport, and are currently spending almost $100M on a coach who's less successful than the guy they fired before him. His best result- by far- is the COVID season that produced wacky results (hi, Coach Dorrell!)

They sit in one of the most fertile recruiting regions in the country, and as a result have 2 Heisman winners since WWII but haven't had a top 3 finish in that time- in fact they've only achieved a top 25 finish roughly 1/3rd of the years in that time frame.

They ran off two coaches who later went on to win Nattys (Bear Bryant, because they refused to integrate, and Gene Stallings, because 'mediocrity').

You are correct- no one spends more to do less (except maybe Texas 2010-present)
UT's big fvck up was that they decided they needed to start forcing a Mack Brown retirement plan a decade before he was thinking of retiring.

...but, tradition.

Lived in H-Town a long time, still trying to remember if I ever met a Rice fan....
I imagine the same is true with NYC and Rutgers. And yet, Rutgers is now the B10 doormat, contributing nothing except the big fat NYC cable carriage fee collected from the largest market in the US. A market that cares nothing about the crappy university sports teams thrust upon them unwillingly and probably unwittingly to most of the cable subscribers. But, at what, $10-20 per month x whatever million subscribers, Rutgers is the most valuable contributor to the B10 cable TV pie. So suck away, Rutgers, as long as cable can divert NYC cable money to the B10. Is that the game being played now? Is this the main consideration for any P10 additions?

That McMurphy tweet is one of the strongest reasons to stay put in the P12. Just look at A&M and the resources they have. They shouldn't be 3 out of 11 in that regard.
Your rationale is flawed. McMurphy doesn't address the records of teams that stayed in their conf. A snapshot, most of which stayed home.

This century, bottom 10​

TeamWin percentageRecord
10. Iowa State.447122-151
9. Rutgers.433116-152
8. Arizona.431113-149
7. Syracuse.414110-156
6. Colorado.412110-157
5. Illinois.37498-164
4. Indiana.36996-164
3. Vanderbilt.33889-174
2. Duke.32787-179
1. Kansas.30680-181

Last edited:
I imagine the same is true with NYC and Rutgers. And yet, Rutgers is now the B10 doormat, contributing nothing except the big fat NYC cable carriage fee collected from the largest market in the US. A market that cares nothing about the crappy university sports teams thrust upon them unwillingly and probably unwittingly to most of the cable subscribers. But, at what, $10-20 per month x whatever million subscribers, Rutgers is the most valuable contributor to the B10 cable TV pie. So suck away, Rutgers, as long as cable can divert NYC cable money to the B10. Is that the game being played now? Is this the main consideration for any P10 additions?
I don't know, but under that theory NW and Rutgers are the most valuable, current B1G properties. I kind of doubt that is the end of the analysis.

Your rational is flawed. McMurphy doesn't address the records of teams that stayed in their conf. A snapshot, most of which stayed home.

This century, bottom 10​

TeamWin percentageRecord
10. Iowa State.447122-151
9. Rutgers.433116-152
8. Arizona.431113-149
7. Syracuse.414110-156
6. Colorado.412110-157
5. Illinois.37498-164
4. Indiana.36996-164
3. Vanderbilt.33889-174
2. Duke.32787-179
1. Kansas.30680-181

Can't guarantee that CU will fare any better in the B12.

My not so bold prediction. SDSU sends another letter on Friday saying they’re officially out as of 6/30. They have to pay the $16.5M fee within one year after they leave and they’ll want every available day possible to pay it back.

P12 announces the deal first week of July. Maybe people are in their ear to wait until after the 4th. Idk, people get weird about announcing stuff over national holidays. It wouldn’t help because if everyone is thinking that and the 2nd week of July will have a lot of news drops.

On the other hand, B12 media week is 2nd week of July and it would be hilarious if they announced over it as an F you.

SMU, doesn’t sound like they’re tied to a deadline but if they’re coming and it sounds like they are they will have to announce between now and a few days before the deal.

This picture was striking to me. Drives home how limited options are in the west (and how markets can be dominated with the right strategic approach):

Rice doesn't give you Houston, and SMU doesn't give you Dallas. Both of those schools are probably third/fourth/fifth fiddle even in their own hometowns behind Texas, Texas A&M, TCU (Dallas) and Houston (in Houston), and maybe even Baylor. I honestly don't see how they add anything to a media deal. Same with Tulane. They have an enrollment of ~7,000 undergrads, and are absolutely dwarfed in that market behind LSU.

If I'm GK, I'd be looking to add a flagship to go along with SDSU. IMO Kansas makes way more sense in a media deal than SMU, Rice or Tulane. That may not be the right move from a football perspective, but will literally get you the entire Kansas City market from an eyeballs perspective.

Either way, the roadmap will be drawn by the media partners, not the PAC 12 leadership.
Obviously. We're not getting a Big 12 school until GK takes a really, really good deal to the presidents.

SDSU/SMU are a very clear 1-2 in this combo.

I do have to say that of the realistic TX school additions, SMU is probably my fav.

To be clear, "unrealistic" are UT & ATM.

Which would leave TT, **** Baylor, TCU, UH, & SMU as your "not unrealistic" options.

Anyway, out of those five, I'd pick SMU almost every time. Good tradition, fan support, game day atmosphere, etc. If academics are a consideration, you're taking a hit with all of them except Houston, so 🤷‍♂️ on that.

Rice, UNT and UTSA just don't belong in the conversation.

Also, *if* there is any veracity to the idea of needing to have a non-public university in the conference, SMU also checks that box.

I do have to say that of the realistic TX school additions, SMU is probably my fav.

Which would leave TT, **** Baylor, TCU, UH, & SMU as your "not unrealistic" options.

Anyway, out of those five, I'd pick SMU almost every time. Good tradition, fan support, game day atmosphere, etc. If academics are a consideration, you're taking a hit with all of them except Houston, so 🤷‍♂️ on that.

Also, *if* there is any veracity to the idea of needing to have a non-public university in the conference, SMU also checks that box.
I agree. And to be clear, I brought up UTSA as a future expansion candidate but don't see them as viable today or in the next few years

My not so bold prediction. SDSU sends another letter on Friday saying they’re officially out as of 6/30. They have to pay the $16.5M fee within one year after they leave and they’ll want every available day possible to pay it back.

P12 announces the deal first week of July. Maybe people are in their ear to wait until after the 4th. Idk, people get weird about announcing stuff over national holidays. It wouldn’t help because if everyone is thinking that and the 2nd week of July will have a lot of news drops.

On the other hand, B12 media week is 2nd week of July and it would be hilarious if they announced over it as an F you.

SMU, doesn’t sound like they’re tied to a deadline but if they’re coming and it sounds like they are they will have to announce between now and a few days before the deal.

2nd week of July...

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

UT's big fvck up was that they decided they needed to start forcing a Mack Brown retirement plan a decade before he was thinking of retiring.
Mack needed to go...He got lazy with recruiting and coaching hires. They just hired the wrong guys with Strong and Herman

Tradition & fan support? Gameday atmosphere is solid only tailgating but the seats are empty. Must not have checked in on them since the early 80's... lol

Mack needed to go...He got lazy with recruiting and coaching hires. They just hired the wrong guys with Strong and Herman
It started when they made Muschamp "Head Coach in Waiting" in 2008. Mack had a contract through 2016, no plans to retire any time soon, and he was on his streak of 10+ win seasons. Things turned a couple years later and I believe that this was a big reason why it happened.

No question Texas whiffed on Charlie Strong. Tom Herman? Put up 17-10 in his first two years at Texas on his way to 32-18. Comparing him to Sark.......13-12.

Last thing on Herman-He was a pretty consensus #2 to Coach Prime among many here. Texas fired him because he's too forward thinking for them.

No question Texas whiffed on Charlie Strong. Tom Herman? Put up 17-10 in his first two years at Texas on his way to 32-18. Comparing him to Sark.......13-12.

Last thing on Herman-He was a pretty consensus #2 to Coach Prime among many here. Texas fired him because he's too forward thinking for them.
Herman was a good gameday coach.

However he'd never built a roster. It's not coincidence he won big in year two at each stop and then saw the overall talent level decline and the results follow. Look at basically every UT offensive contributor other than the 2 RBs last fall. All Sark guys because it was such a rebuild. Herman inherited MUCH more talent than he left behind even when Ehlinger was gift wrapped to UT no matter the coach.

Why did he end up at FAU if he was such a great coach? Dude was a doooshe and a cancer inside of the program. My son had a roommate at Texas that worked in the football program and he said everybody hated Herman and his wife.

"Too forward thinking" = "not making his players participate in a UT tradition of singing a song steeped in racism"

Back