What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

the west coast is a very nice place to visit.
I agree wholeheartedly. My point, and others with a similar sentiment I'm assuming, is that it really shouldn't be a major driving factor in what conference we end up in.

i dunno how it all shakes out and maybe someone is doing the math. but, some folks (not you) suggesting that west coast alums don't matter chafes my ass. there are more of us than there are in the footprint of the b12 and it isn't even close. and the idea that we don't support CU is bull ****.
All the alumni matter, and California alumni certainly are a large portion of that. I just think the argument that alumni footprint should have a massive impact on conference choice is ridiculous. Our program was taking a nose dive in the PAC. It wasn't because of the PAC, but I bring it up to say that we are in no position to try and ride out the PAC with the state of our program. We need as much stability as possible. Hell, fans with enough passion to be on a message board of a team with one winning season in a decade and a half were suggesting that maybe G5 or FBS might be a better option for us pre-Prime. If the PAC collapsed this year we'd likely be on the outside of P5 looking in if we waited too long, Prime or no Prime. So I'm sorry I don't think alumni location trumps self preservation.

but some of these ****er questioning our loyalty because we don't live in some ****ing flyover state and throwing around the wine and cheese **** like it is a bad thing can **** all the way off.
I appreciate your pride and passion in your California roots and firing back at comments like "wine and cheese". I'm not from one of these said flyover states, but I'm sure they are passionate as well and are offended by being called flyover states, truck stop, redneck, white trash, etc etc. I can confidently say I hear those insults thrown around from east/west coasters on this board about 1000-1 versus California slander. That's why I found Les' comment entertaining, knowing it was going to rile up the masses and sheds light on some of the hypocrisy around here.

Anyway, we're all here because we love the Buffs. I love your insightful and somehow both off the wall and intellectual ramblings. Sorry if I offended you, or others on this board, with my rant. I just found a lot of posters' whining about the conference change to be self serving, short sighted, and a bit hypocritical.

Edit: is Colorado considered a flyover state? If so I guess I'm from a flyover state. In that case **** you lol

Last edited:
well, if we are speaking anecdotally. i bounce around from nocal to socal. since we have joined the pac, i have seen us play football in person at cal, stanford, oregon, oregon state, usc, ucla, asu, and uw. i have seen us play bb (of which i am a casual at best observer) at cal, stanford, ucla, and oregon. .... even got to shake bill walton's hand.

i was at our lone pac championship game and bought 8 tickets for others. for illustrative historical comparison i was also at that ****ing tie game against tennessee in our nc year. the west coast is a very nice place to visit.

i dunno how it all shakes out and maybe someone is doing the math. but, some folks (not you) suggesting that west coast alums don't matter chafes my ass. there are more of us than there are in the footprint of the b12 and it isn't even close. and the idea that we don't support CU is bull ****.

i went to the mattresses for gb way back when because i accurately forecasted what we were about to do to ourselves. and, unfortunately, it all played out nearly exactly as i feared.

Coach Prime is a ****ing blessing. we need to put him in whatever place or conference or whatever that gives him the best chance to succeed. if that is the b12, so be it.

but some of these ****er questioning our loyalty because we don't live in some ****ing flyover state and throwing around the wine and cheese **** like it is a bad thing can **** all the way off.

if we win it won't matter as long as there is a reasonable path to the playoffs and the necessary cash to compete.

Coach Prime closes the delta on recruiting between us and those with more resources. the next step is to make sure we have ALL the resources he needs to do what needs to be done.
Some really good points are being made on the board tonight. Too many to count. No sarcasm on that one. I’ll still be massively depressed tomorrow but some of this is helping. I’m choosing to ignore the stupid s*** because we have years of that ahead of us.

End of the day, Coach Prime is getting prime time. He deserves it and deserves to tell that to recruits.

1) Our AD isn't swimming in California donor money because we're in the PAC.

Im assuming you forgot about a program that was so poor from buyouts that we hired Jon Embree for $400k?

CU struggled to pay off the East Stadium Expansion before that while in the BigXII. But after joining the Pac12 the Indoor Practice Facility magically got built AND The Champions Center was just there one morning after a big storm.

Those two seem like big hints. Here is another;

Prime Pressor question to RG: “Do you have the money to pay coach Prime”?

RG: “No. But we’ll find the money”.

2) Most of the alumni base went to school at Colorado when they were in the Big 12 in the first place.

Most of the guys here that I interact with were there when it was the Big8. Like a lot of dudes here I was there in the early 90s. Liver was there before me. These people will be retiring soon. Californians have tons of wealth to give before they die. Seattle no wealth slouch either. Engaging with those alums before and after games is useful to securing their donations.

Only the BOR knows the value of that giving is if they ask for the data. Im sure they also have the data from the B12 era. Rumor is it went up when we joined the P12.

Anyway, Its weighted decision unfortunately against whats coming or not on the athletics side.

I don’t see a scenario where we ever come close to that buyout. That’s legit crazy money. We’re in the B12 for good unless proven otherwise.
I don’t know how to break it down for you any further for you, man. If CU gets called up to the B1G, you’re talking somewhere around $75-$100m/year in TV revenue + conference distribution payouts. The Big 12 exit fee is 2 years total distributions which is estimated at $50m/year. No exit fee is going to be paid up front in full. It’s not ideal, but it’s not prohibitive, and it’s a far better situation than the ACC is currently in.

CU fans owe no loyalty to the B12 or P12. We will go where the money is better…it’s our school colors for crying out loud. I’m no longer interested in being the best conference choir boy.

Time to join the dark side.

darth vader GIF

well, if we are speaking anecdotally. i bounce around from nocal to socal. since we have joined the pac, i have seen us play football in person at cal, stanford, oregon, oregon state, usc, ucla, asu, and uw. i have seen us play bb (of which i am a casual at best observer) at cal, stanford, ucla, and oregon. .... even got to shake bill walton's hand.

i was at our lone pac championship game and bought 8 tickets for others. for illustrative historical comparison i was also at that ****ing tie game against tennessee in our nc year. the west coast is a very nice place to visit.

i went to the mattresses for gb way back when because i accurately forecasted what we were about to do to ourselves. and, unfortunately, it all played out nearly exactly as i feared.

Coach Prime is a ****ing blessing. we need to put him in whatever place or conference or whatever that gives him the best chance to succeed. if that is the b12, so be it.

if we win it won't matter as long as there is a reasonable path to the playoffs and the necessary cash to compete.

Coach Prime closes the delta on recruiting between us and those with more resources. the next step is to make sure we have ALL the resources he needs to do what needs to be done.

40e9840e-ebea-47f6-9467-51d19280c422_text.gif

I never understand the ****ting on California from fellow Buffs. As noted, we have the largest alumni base anywhere outside of Colorado. And we've represented ourselves quite well at the Rose Bowl, Coliseum, and whatever the hell Stanford and Cal's stadiums are called when the Buffs are in town. During some pretty ****ty years, no less. Not to mention Buffs like Rashaan Salaam, Sal Aunese, Darian Hagan, and Eric Bieniemy. All Californians. So maybe they should slow their roll when doubting CA's contributions to Colorado Football.

… If CU gets called up to the B1G…
Thats not a sure thing. Cable is dying and the money is drying up. Streaming hasnt caught up. And the conferences are resisting content being on streaming because they want exposure (but also money). Yet content being on streaming is how get more subscribers so you can, wait for it, pay the conferences more money. Until we get thru that period I dont think there will be anymore expansion. The way Fox and ESPN ****ed the Pac-12 and the ACC seems like another big sign in that revenue curve is flattening.

Ya'll been laughing at him the whole time even when the Big XII for CU didn't seem realistic. At this point, Maybe this could happen

Personally, i never laughed at the CU to the Big XII rumors he posted. I actually like CU going there, so no, I didn't laugh at him for that.

I'm laughing because he's relentless.

A few short thoughts:
  1. I'm genuinely glad that the folks who wanted CU in the B12 are happy. I'm also embarrassed. It's embarrassing. Joining a conference that just added a 3rd tier TX school, a glorified MAC team in Cincinnatti, a 3rd tier FL team, and was in talks to add ****ING UConn is embarrassing.
  2. Timing on this sucks. There was no reason not artificially driven to make this decision now. If the B12 was seriously talking about taking UConn, they would have taken CU at any time CU wanted.
  3. This whole conference sucks and is uncompelling. When CU left the B12, if I made a list of conference mates I hated the most it would have been in order: nubs, UT, OU, Baylor, A&M, Mizzou, Okie Lite, varying degrees of tepid hate and indifference on the rest. 5 of those 7 named schools aren't in the conference anymore. We're exchanging one set of artificial rivalries for another.
EDIT: The only way this doesn't MASSIVELY suck is if the B12 somehow poaches the cream of the P12 (i.e. UofO, UW, maybe a couple of others).

Last edited:
40e9840e-ebea-47f6-9467-51d19280c422_text.gif

I never understand the ****ting on California from fellow Buffs. As noted, we have the largest alumni base anywhere outside of Colorado. And we've represented ourselves quite well at the Rose Bowl, Coliseum, and whatever the hell Stanford and Cal's stadiums are called when the Buffs are in town. During some pretty ****ty years, no less. Not to mention Buffs like Rashaan Salaam, Sal Aunese, Darian Hagan, and Eric Bieniemy. All Californians. So maybe they should slow their roll when doubting CA's contributions to Colorado Football.
Yes but…. Those contributions are not going to fill the gap of a good TV deal vs what the Pac was going to get.

To me it’s an easy decision- stay in a rudderless conference, full of apathetic fans and no real plan moving forward, or jump to a conference that is sprinkled throughout areas that are football hotbeds, with passionate fan bases and a lucrative media deal already in place?

You know the Big12 will do everything in their power to stay relevant and a power conference. I don’t have the same faith in the PAC.

I agree wholeheartedly. My point, and others with a similar sentiment I'm assuming, is that it really shouldn't be a major driving factor in what conference we end up in.

All the alumni matter, and California alumni certainly are a large portion of that. I just think the argument that alumni footprint should have a massive impact on conference choice is ridiculous. Our program was taking a nose dive in the PAC. It wasn't because of the PAC, but I bring it up to say that we are in no position to try and ride out the PAC with the state of our program. We need as much stability as possible. Hell, fans with enough passion to be on a message board of a team with one winning season in a decade and a half were suggesting that maybe G5 or FBS might be a better option for us pre-Prime. If the PAC collapsed this year we'd likely be on the outside of P5 looking in if we waited too long, Prime or no Prime. So I'm sorry I don't think alumni location trumps self preservation.

I appreciate your pride and passion in your California roots and firing back at comments like "wine and cheese". I'm not from one of these said flyover states, but I'm sure they are passionate as well and are offended by being called flyover states, truck stop, redneck, white trash, etc etc. I can confidently say I hear those insults thrown around from east/west coasters on this board about 1000-1 versus California slander. That's why I found Les' comment entertaining, knowing it was going to rile up the masses and sheds light on some of the hypocrisy around here.

Anyway, we're all here because we love the Buffs. I love your insightful and somehow both off the wall and intellectual ramblings. Sorry if I offended you, or others on this board, with my rant. I just found a lot of posters' whining about the conference change to be self serving, short sighted, and a bit hypocritical.

Edit: is Colorado considered a flyover state? If so I guess I'm from a flyover state. In that case **** you lol
I feel like half the schools are from Florida, TX, Colorado, and Utah next year, which I don’t consider flyover states.

ESPN radio - it’s all about CU this morning and saying it’s the death of the Pac-12. Just another point for those saying CU leaving won’t move the needle.
They are saying the Big XII is a much better conference.
(Yeah yeah, ESPN sucks. But it’s a non-biased view of CU).

(Yeah yeah, ESPN sucks. But it’s a non-biased view of CU).
You're right. I'm trying to think if there might be some reason that CU might garner a biased opinion from ESPN this morning, and I can't come up with anything.

I mean, aside from the fact that ESPN has a contract with the Big12, which CU is joining, and ESPN does not have a contract going forward with the Pac12, which CU is leaving.

The Les Grossman unapologetically awesome posts just keep coming.

I've never understood the obsession with this whole California alumni base talk.

1) Our AD isn't swimming in California donor money because we're in the PAC. One of the Twitter graphics I saw put us (iirc) 4th lowest AD budget in the PAC. Nobody donating big money gives a **** which P5 we're in as much as they care about wins, losses, and potential/vision of the program.

2) Most of the alumni base went to school at Colorado when they were in the Big 12 in the first place. They knew we were playing in Manhattan Kansas every other year when they picked to go there, so now it's some massive deal breaker if they donate or not?

3) If your enthusiasm for going to games/supporting the program hinges on how pretty the cities of the conference foes are you either need your head examined or you're my wife. I'll take going to a game against a team with a passionate fanbase and thriving tailgating scene over looking at pretty trees in Palo Alto in an empty parking lot and stadium.

4) All this talk about the Big 12 being stable because there aren't poachable teams is ****ing smooth brained. The Big 12 is stable because of money. They have a deal. Major broadcasting companies are taking a hard look at profitability/cash flow and are cutting costs and spending more wisely. Texas and Florida are growing. They have substantially more passionate fanbases than California. California is losing professional teams because of sports apathy despite 69 billion people living there. Regardless of Big 12 media deal timing versus the PAC, the Big 12 is a better investment. Even these G5 teams that moved to the Big 12 that everyone is pooping on will be in better shape long term than most of the PAC 12 teams left in the dust. They've shown they want to/have won recently with less money and spotlight. There will be at least one that takes off from the extra money and spotlight they're getting the next several years.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk. Back to the regularly scheduled smugness.
1690458190868.gif

The MHver guy is only confirming what I've heard. UCONN is getting a lot of push from ESPN and ESPN wants them in the Big XII just like Fox wanted Colorado.

Washington and Oregon are both wanted by ESPN and Fox but both are also coveted by the B1G which they are in talks with as well.

Arizona is the other school highly coveted by the Big XII

Arizona State is a battle as Fox doesn't wants them as much as Zona or CU but ESPN wants UCONN and will cover their freight. UCONN is being carried by ESPN, the Presidents like the PAC schools more but that company from the NE yields a lot of power in the Big XII and will likely get their way.

The networks want to stop at 16 for non Basketball only schools.

They are targeting Memphis, St. John's, Gonzaga, Georgetown, and Villanova. I was told Seton Hall is on back burner. Georgetown is also a fall back plan. Memphis is unlikely to join without an all sports offer but that's not exactly clear at the moment until the numbers are given.

It seems like they are about to blow up the Big East again. This seems to be ESPN wanting Big East Basketball back and willing to carry the freight.

The PAC 12 never presented a media deal (because there isn’t one). The Big 12 offered a full share at $31.7 million plus playoff money, which means closer to $50 million+ per year. Is the Big 12 an ideal landing spot? No. But it’s pretty much the only deal on offer.

Also, it has been rumored that the Big 12 has only four slots open. I can’t link to any confirmation of that, but I believe that to be true. As a result, there may be some well known PAC schools with no landing spot than the MWC (Or rather a rebranding of the MWC as the PAC).

You will soon see PAC schools climbing over each other to get into the Big 12.

I still think the PAC had the better roster of schools, but terrible mismanagement. The Big 12 has been outmaneuvering it for years now.

Don’t apologize. F*** everyone but us. Focusing on California was a failure so we go back to our roots. CU is a Colorado school and most of the student body is closer in family ties and connection to the surrounding states than California so it makes sense to play them

You just can’t trust people from a state that considers hot n fast Tri-tip “barbecue”. Great cut of meat, but it’s grilling, not barbecue

The PAC 12 never presented a media deal (because there isn’t one). The Big 12 offered a full share at $31.7 million plus playoff money, which means closer to $50 million+ per year. Is the Big 12 an ideal landing spot? No. But it’s pretty much the only deal on offer.

Also, it has been rumored that the Big 12 has only four slots open. I can’t link to any confirmation of that, but I believe that to be true. As a result, there may be some well known PAC schools with no landing spot than the MWC (Or rather a rebranding of the MWC as the PAC).

You will soon see PAC schools climbing over each other to get into the Big 12.

I still think the PAC had the better roster of schools, but terrible mismanagement. The Big 12 has been outmaneuvering it for years now.

Don’t apologize. F*** everyone but us. Focusing on California was a failure so we go back to our roots. CU is a Colorado school and most of the student body is closer in family ties and connection to the surrounding states than California so it makes sense to play them

You just can’t trust people from a state that considers hot n fast Tri-tip “barbecue”. Great cut of meat, but it’s grilling, not barbecue
Hey! A smoked tri-tip finished on the grill is effing glorious.

Back