What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

"G5 schools which have been at the very top of G5 arguably better than a couple dozen P5 programs recently. UCF has won 10 games 7 times over the past 16 years. Houston has 3 12-win seasons over the past 12 years. Cincinnati was in the CFP 2 years ago. TCU has won 11 games 4 times in the decade or so they've been in a P5 conference and played in the NC game last year."
And yet, they are still disinteresting.

Tradition is way more important than recent records. Fortunately for us.

Do you get more donations from alums who care enough about athletics to come to sporting events or those you can only reach via phone? Via winning or losing? Via being on TV more often with a good linear TV media contract or not?

Read my post again. I said, specifically, I wish the PAC had worked out long term. It didn't. So, what would you have us do? Cling to the ship as it goes down?
Its not just athletics donations. Our very small endowment compared to some of our peers has grown about 1000%

When we are winning people do give. But winning is fleeting and over the last 20 years CU football has not been winning, theyve been awful. Yet somehow giving actually increased enough to grow the endowment.

In 1995 our endowment was so small it didnt even appear in the top 120
In 1999-2000 we are ranked 114 out of 120 at $326 million.
Today its over $2.7 billion dollars.

It is too bad that the Pac 12 didnt work out. TV consumption is changing. Pac12 is likely just the first victims of that change. I dont think it will be last. The ACC didnt have a great experience recently either.

Its not just athletics donations. Our very small endowment compared to some of our peers has grown about 1000%

When we are winning people do give. But winning is fleeting and over the last 20 years CU football has not been winning, theyve been awful. Yet somehow giving actually increased enough to grow the endowment.

I'm going to be blunt with you: this is an absolutely ridiculous new correlation you're trying to draw, and thinking it through for a few minutes would have kept you from posting this. Any university with a halfway decent administration has been growing their endowment leaps and bounds in the past decade. So what's relevant here is 1) What's the national average endowment increase during the timeframe in question, 2) How far above (or below) that national trendline is CU, and 3) How much of that could be attributed to PAC affiliation?

My guess would be 1) similar to ours, 2) right about average, and 3) zero.

Making random-ass correlations and claiming they mean something is a fool's errand. CU's academic ranking in many ranking systems has been on the slide the past decade. Do you suggest that has something to do with our PAC affiliation as well? If not, why not?

Irony:

CU is moving from the P12 to the B12, in part, because supposedly B12 will broadcast on more linear channels. Yet in order to watch a bunch of CU's games I'll have to subscribe to ESPN+ another streaming service.
Better than having to worry about what service you carry or shelling out an extra $50+ a month to watch the PAC-12 network.

Irony:

CU is moving from the P12 to the B12, in part, because supposedly B12 will broadcast on more linear channels. Yet in order to watch a bunch of CU's games I'll have to subscribe to ESPN+ another streaming service.
While the majority of the Big 12 will be relegated to ESPN+ for most games, FOX and ESPN will have the choice to put CU on a better option. I would bet CU is on FOX, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or FS1 for 9 or 10 games in 2024

I'm going to be blunt with you: this is an absolutely ridiculous new correlation you're trying to draw, and thinking it through for a few minutes would have kept you from posting this. Any university with a halfway decent administration has been growing their endowment leaps and bounds in the past decade. So what's relevant here is 1) What's the national average endowment increase during the timeframe in question, 2) How far above (or below) that national trendline is CU, and 3) How much of that could be attributed to PAC affiliation?

My guess would be 1) similar to ours, 2) right about average, and 3) zero.

Making random-ass correlations and claiming they mean something is a fool's errand. CU's academic ranking in many ranking systems has been on the slide the past decade. Do you suggest that has something to do with our PAC affiliation as well? If not, why not?
You win

I just see it as a conversation. Anyone who's gotten used to me around here knows I tend to chime in louder when I see what looks like inaccurate descriptions of how academia works (since that's my world). Here, let's end with this:
Screenshot_20230724-140256.png.de31aa50f59d3bd82ec048ede197d935.png

And saw somewhere that with NCAA basketball & bowl money, that figure is closer to $42M. Won't be long before the B12 hits $50M per year.

They got $44M per this year. They will be shelling out $50M plus next year, the first year of the new contract.

Irony:

Another irony:

We move to the Big12, CSU moves to the Pac.

Strange times.

CP will get us some national broadcasts this year, but who will be showing the other games?
Fox and ESPN still have the 2023 Pac 12 media rights. Right now, the first three games are on FOX, FOX, and ESPN, respectively. Stanford has also been picked up ESPN and Washington State is slated for FS1. If the CU/CSU game is picked up by ESPN, where do you think CU @ Oregon and CU vs USC will land?

Other national matchups for Oregon week:
- Ole Miss @ Alabama
- Arkansas @ LSU
- Auburn @ aTm
- UCLA @ Utah
- FSU @ Clemson
- Iowa @ Penn State (Already on CBS)
- Ohio State @ Notre Dame (Already on NBC)

FSU @ Clemson almost assuredly College Gameday, IMO. UCLA @ Utah could be one of the FOX games. So depending on where CU stands after non con, CU vs Oregon probably has a good chance to be ABC, ESPN or maybe one of the FOX games.

Other national matchups for USC week:
- aTm @ Arkansas
- Georgia @ Auburn
- Mich State @ Iowa
- Michigan @ Nebraska
- LSU @ Ole Miss

Some solid matchups in there so it depends on where CU stands going into this week. USC will be undefeated and top 5-10 and if CU can be 3-1 or at worst 2-2, I think this could be a College Gameday in Boulder

What a wild hill for Miami to die on here - invest in Kodak stock while we're here?

Not sure I understand the UCF & Cincinnati slander here, both are quality programs & UCF has really come on strong & is in a great market for CU to recruit in.

While the majority of the Big 12 will be relegated to ESPN+ for most games, FOX and ESPN will have the choice to put CU on a better option. I would bet CU is on FOX, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or FS1 for 9 or 10 games in 2024
Typically each Big XII school has had 1 conference game on ESPN+ each year for football. Non conference depends on your schedule. Basketball is usually 2 conference games.

31mm7s.png

Welcome back, boys. Personally, I'm excited for the new Big XII and think it will be a fun league. Everyone seems united and there's no Texas to throw their weight around and try to appease. I worry about adding a school like Oregon of Washington because they might **** that up, but I'm optimistic that the Big XII may realize that doesn't work.

Now that one domino is falling I think Arizona, Oregon, and Washington come as well. I don't believe the Pac has any kind of acceptable deal and it's time to get off the boat. I don't have anything against ASU, but Utah can eat a satchel of Richards. Not gonna lie, before OuT left, I thought that the Big XII could have poached the 4 corner schools due to Pac 12 mismanagement. Glad it might work out anyway. As an ISU fan, I'm not used to having a positive seat in realignment.

Makes me laugh as well that some Pac shills (Tony Altimore) are so mad at the Big XII. He said any Pac school needs to immediately cancel any athletic/academic ventures with CU or Big XII schools, and make it clear defectors will be punished. He does realize this is the BIG and USCLA's fault, right? The delusion is mind blowing.

I'm not as high on Coach Prime as you guys are, but we'll see what happens. You guys are boned in basketball, though. Have fun with UCF at the bottom for a couple years. It's not that I think your team is bad, but I think you're in for a rude awakening.

I'm not as high on Coach Prime as you guys are, but we'll see what happens. You guys are boned in basketball, though. Have fun with UCF at the bottom for a couple years. It's not that I think your team is bad, but I think you're in for a rude awakening.

It'l be fun to see KSU say that they are still better than CU despite going 0-3 against CU in the 2010-11 basketball season.

It is too bad that the Pac 12 didnt work out. TV consumption is changing. Pac12 is likely just the first victims of that change. I dont think it will be last. The ACC didnt have a great experience recently either.

$326 mill in 2000 @ 7% simple annual compound interest (avg investment returns over this period) - if invested and no additional capital put in (and none taken out) would yield just north of $1.5 billion today.

If invested more aggressively and contributions increased - you could get to $2.7 billion pretty quickly (9.5% returns) based on the past 23 years of the stock markets. It’s a really good sized endowment for sure, but I’m not sure that figure is as impressive as it initially seems.

The better question would be to try and understand what the delta would be if we had stayed pat in the B12 from the start? Would there be any?

Typically each Big XII school has had 1 conference game on ESPN+ each year for football. Non conference depends on your schedule. Basketball is usually 2 conference games.
"Typically" is thrown out the window with the new contracts. The Big 12 may have ESPN and FOX as it's partners, but ESPN is all in on SEC and still owns ACC rights as well. Pretty much the entire SEC will take precedence over the Big 12 and I would say 4-5 ACC programs. FOX is prioritizing the B1G, but they share that inventory with NBC and CBS, so the Big 12 is FOX's number two.

Point is, if Prime succeeds at CU, ESPN and FOX won't hesitate to lump them into their big network lineups with the best of the SEC, B1G and ACC, but the rest of the Big 12 is looking mostly at ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1/2 and ESPN+

Back