What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I guess I am confused why you would be upset that CU got on one of the few life rafts available...

The B1G hasn't even decided if they are going to take UO and UW on half shares... Their TV deal doesn't give them the flexibility that the Big12 negotiated.

Regardless no one else wanted CU. Our options were to stay in the Pac12 and watch the program die with that awful media deal or go back to the Big12. Make more money, get more exposure, have a path towards stability and finally getting the football program back on it's feet.

It is the best option that Rick George had and I am glad he took it.

One of the original CU message board guys who takes long sabbaticals, then needs some time to get caught up and reprogrammed before he decides to take off again.
The old CUAD chat room. Those were the days. People knew how to internet back then!

season 13 GIF

1. CU improved its situation.

2. You are absolutely correct that CU will not be able to consistently compete with ADs earning double what we do.

So take the win and build towards solving the long-term problem.

Notably, the money does seem to have diminishing returns as it increases. At a certain point, it mostly helps non-football success because there's nothing left to spend it on for football besides being able to make bigger mistakes and recover from them more quickly. Now, if the future is revenue sharing with players then I'll be the first to say that any AD not earning at the top tier is fvcked.
I agree w/ most of that but idk about the helping non-fb success. I actually think we might have to sacrifice some of that spending (whatever it is) to keep up w/ coaches and staff salaries which are going to keep going up and possible player rev sharing. This is what FSU is freaking out about (obviously).

I agree w/ most of that but idk about the helping non-fb success. I actually think we might have to sacrifice some of that spending (whatever it is) to keep up w/ coaches and staff salaries which are going to keep going up and possible player rev sharing. This is what FSU is freaking out about (obviously).
We are literally going to be making at least $12M more per year than our previous situation and represents a $10M increase over our current TV deal...

I meant that when you see school ADs become incredibly flush you don't necessarily see their football team achieve more success. But you start seeing those schools reach new levels in non-revenue sports or sports they weren't traditionally all that good at (like how the SEC has become a power in men's & women's hoops since football driven revenue exploded).

If you believe Flugar, which I do most of the time, once Arizona is out then the dam breaks. Oregon and Washington to the Big10 and Utah is making a last minute run at the Big10 too. Could the Big10 take Utah instead of Cal ? Possibly but UCLA will try to use their influence for Cal. Odds for Utah most likely 20%.

I meant that when you see school ADs become incredibly flush you don't necessarily see their football team achieve more success. But you start seeing those schools reach new levels in non-revenue sports or sports they weren't traditionally all that good at (like how the SEC has become a power in men's & women's hoops since football driven revenue exploded).
That’s a good point. I think we’d all love that if we had to invest in a baseball program and hockey. The way this off-season went… there might be ADs rethinking how to invest more into fb to keep up. Just seems like it went over the top this last year and the fb money and attention stepped up a notch or five.

1. CU improved its situation.

2. You are absolutely correct that CU will not be able to consistently compete with ADs earning double what we do.

So take the win and build towards solving the long-term problem.

Notably, the money does seem to have diminishing returns as it increases. At a certain point, it mostly helps non-football success because there's nothing left to spend it on for football besides being able to make bigger mistakes and recover from them more quickly. Now, if the future is revenue sharing with players then I'll be the first to say that any AD not earning at the top tier is fvcked.
If we see what we think we’re going to see from Coach Prime, then I think CU could very possibly end up being the Clemson of the P3.

If you believe Flugar, which I do most of the time, once Arizona is out then the dam breaks. Oregon and Washington to the Big10 and Utah is making a last minute run at the Big10 too. Could the Big10 take Utah instead of Cal ? Possibly but UCLA will try to use their influence for Cal. Odds for Utah most likely 20%.
There's a real chance that Utah overplays it's hand.

I saw some smack at them to the effect of "you're awfully full of yourself for a program that hasn't beaten a non-conference P5 since 2017."

If we see what we think we’re going to see from Coach Prime, then I think CU could very possibly end up being the Clemson of the P3.
Agree, I mentioned that a few days ago. We need to make the CFP and win a natty to get into that category and it’s possible w/ Prime. That said, we need to commit to spending $10M on his contract plus staff increase bc now that more schools are flush w/ cash they’re going to want him to lure him away. That Clemson scenario will take 5 years.

If Prime wants to say something he has his own outlets to get it out. He doesn’t need 24/7 we all know that.
247: Coach Prime what do you think about moving to the Big 12?

Coach Prime: sorry I will only answer that question on Well Off. Bye

I guess since there are three youtube channels covering him he doesn't need to talk to any other media. That would be a great strategy.

247: Coach Prime what do you think about moving to the Big 12?

Coach Prime: sorry I will only answer that question on Well Off. Bye

I guess since there are three youtube channels, Coach Prime doesn't need to talk to any other media. That would be a great strategy.
I guess I’m the only person who thinks the most active coach in the history of social media hasn’t mentioned this move on his own seems strange. Ok then.

I’m sure they reached out and got a quote. Not the same as being enthusiastic to self promote it. He’s talked more about the cafeteria than the b12.

I guess I’m the only person who thinks the most active coach in the history of social media hasn’t mentioned this move on his own seems strange. Ok then.

I’m sure they reached out and got a quote. Not the same as being enthusiastic to self promote it. He’s talked more about the cafeteria than the b12.
I think it's completely in character for Coach Prime to be focused on what he can accomplish today and this season. I was wondering if he'd even acknowledge something that doesn't impact him outside of recruiting until he's preparing for the 2024 season.

He is coaching in the Pac 12. You don’t see Lincoln Riley out there spouting off about the B1G. You didn’t see Dana Holgerson or Kalani Sitake jumping for joy publicly about the Big 12 move. They are coaches, not fanboys that are giddy about moving conferences.

I think it's completely in character for Coach Prime to be focused on what he can accomplish today and this season. I was wondering if he'd even acknowledge something that doesn't impact him outside of recruiting until he's preparing for the 2024 season.
Yeah I mentioned that earlier. He’s focused. I just don’t buy it. If we move to the SEC or B1G he’s shouting this from the rooftops. No?

Idk why it’s stinging folks that he might not want to talk about it bc his thoughts might not be as rah rah as everyone wants to believe. He’s an alpha dog. The b12 is not an alpha conference.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier. He’s focused. I just don’t buy it. If we move to the SEC or B1G he’s shouting this from the rooftops. No?

Idk why it’s stinging folks that he might not want to talk about it bc his thoughts might not be as rah rah as everyone wants to believe. He’s an alpha dog. The b12 is not an alpha conference.
Read the post above yours.

He is coaching in the Pac 12. You don’t see Lincoln Riley out there spouting off about the B1G. You didn’t see Dana Holgerson or Kalani Sitake jumping for joy publicly about the Big 12 move. They are coaches, not fanboys that are giddy about moving conferences.
Prime is 1 of 1 and is unlike everyone you just mentioned. Dana Holgerson and Prime have things in common? If Dana walked by Prime he wouldn’t even know who he is.

Do you think The University of Colorado is an alpha program? Do you think the Pac 12 is/was an alpha conference? The answer to both of those is unequivocally no, yet, here he is.

Utah? Does anyone think our leaders are calling the Big 10 right now to make the case for CU if they do expand? We failed with the same people in charge for too long to be taken serious, but AAU, location next to historical rivals, growing market, favored location for many alums to live and vacation, NC and Heisman history and surprisingly still a TV draw nationally should at least get you a mention. We coulda shoulda woulda been a contender.

We’re have to apply b12 remedial math to tell ourselves $50M less year over year isn’t that big of a deal. FSU is literally rioting about it but we’re like hey life is good, we like the b12 Twitter fan accounts.

Notice how Prime he hasn’t said jack s*** about the b12? Nothing. The most outspoken head coach in sports hasn’t said one 👏 thing 👏 about a monumental move?!?!

Anyone believe he’d be this quiet about joining the SEC? Or the B1G? **** NO.

He knows what’s up. This isn’t about focus for the upcoming season. He’s quiet bc the b12 is a junior league.

I know there’s a lot of fans on this board who love the b12, want to visit the towns. Good for you all. Seriously, not even being sarcastic at all. May be hard for some to hear but I can appreciate that most here like the move. I know there’s some good in it. Not trying to change anyone’s mind.

But we have been relegated financially and if this all goes down the way it’s shaping up it could be a permanent financial relegation.
God all you do is whine!

We are literally going to be making at least $12M more per year than our previous situation and represents a $10M increase over our current TV deal...
I guess I am confused why you would be upset that CU got on one of the few life rafts available...

The B1G hasn't even decided if they are going to take UO and UW on half shares... Their TV deal doesn't give them the flexibility that the Big12 negotiated.

Regardless no one else wanted CU. Our options were to stay in the Pac12 and watch the program die with that awful media deal or go back to the Big12. Make more money, get more exposure, have a path towards stability and finally getting the football program back on it's feet.

It is the best option that Rick George had and I am glad he took it.
I feel like becoming a respectable football team and being the best in our conference is more important for long term success (being absorbed into final P2) than it would be to still flounder in the dying P12 or get our asses kicked routinely in the B1G right off the bat with our newly reformed program…no matter the increase in money.

Back