What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think we kind of all knew this, but pretty wild nonetheless.

If the Pac schools had stayed unified they’d have eventually settled on a deal at least as good as the one CU is getting with the Big 12. But as soon as SC and UCLA defected the Pac was doomed. Really too bad.

If the Pac schools had stayed unified they’d have eventually settled on a deal at least as good as the one CU is getting with the Big 12. But as soon as SC and UCLA defected the Pac was doomed. Really too bad.
Had SC and UCLA stayed, they likely would have raided the top 4 properties from the Big 12 and gotten $50m+/school. Would have been a legit power conference

Fox and Nike U are headed for a lawsuit against Pac-4. Potentially could name UW, fUCLA, Condom$ as defendants with UO for colluding with Fox to ruin the Pac-12. No Ralphie emoji mentioned in the rumor. The one major participant I see missing is B1G...
How the hell?

But why would USC and UCLA stay for that when they could get full Big Ten shares?

This is what a small minority of us said when the P was removed from Los Angeles. I am not petty enough to gravedig to see who disagreed.

Also, only 16 teams could be national champion in any given year? Good luck with those ratings
Each league would play for a championship of their league and promotion into the next one. More at stake. Ratings would ridiculously good. There would need to be rules put in place for transfer issues as previous poster said

But why would USC and UCLA stay for that when they could get full Big Ten shares?
They’re going to eat up all of that extra dough with added travel. But more importantly, it’s really unfair to the athletes, especially the non-revenue sport athletes, to make them take extended road trips to the east.

Each league would play for a championship of their league and promotion into the next one. More at stake. Ratings would ridiculously good. There would need to be rules put in place for transfer issues as previous poster said
My wife who is a big football fan, albeit for the NFL so she doesn't know much about the conferences in NCAA asked me after hearing of the B12 move, "they can still play for the same championship as everyone else, right?". I think a lot of casuals will be turned off by this who may align with a college team, but aren't huge fans of them. And those are the fans you need for growth.

USC was always going to bail. They've wanted "merit" based profit distribution for decades. When the Pac failed to expand with Texas, OU, assTOmouth and TT(and CU) because CAL and ****ing Stanford voted that **** down, the conference was dead. Then and there. This is just the ripple in the water finally reaching us.

My wife who is a big football fan, albeit for the NFL so she doesn't know much about the conferences in NCAA asked me after hearing of the B12 move, "they can still play for the same championship as everyone else, right?". I think a lot of casuals will be turned off by this who may align with a college team, but aren't huge fans of them. And those are the fans you need for growth.
A lot of NON casuals are going to be turned off by the migration to an NFL minor league. It's only a matter of time before Chip Kelly's idea(which pragmatically is a good one) of 64 team "1A" league, and a 64 team 1AA league becomes a reality. We're moving to the NFL model. CFB is dead and a new sport is arising in its ashes, for better(lul) or worse.

They’re going to eat up all of that extra dough with added travel. But more importantly, it’s really unfair to the athletes, especially the non-revenue sport athletes, to make them take extended road trips to the east.

News flash:

Those student athletes are getting a free scholarship plus more for their service to the school. It's on them if they are taking too many classes during their athletic season and that is what summer school is for.

Those college students have much more convenient and better access to their coursework these days than I did and that was 20 years ago.

This would be kind of cool I think

Yeah, for all the folks clamoring for relegation…it’s here, we have it. OSU, WSU, Stanford , and Cal just got relegated and BYU, Houston, Cincy, and UCF got promoted. It’s just the networks doing the relegating. Not ideal to have a Top 25 school in the pre season poll in this position though.

I don't think it is just casual fans that CFB needs to worry about but fans who have been watching CFB for a long time especially the ones who love those rivalries. That 1989 game against Nebraska in Boulder was the first CU game I watched and I have rooted for the Buffs ever since. When CU played the Nubs for the first time since 2010 back in 2018, I never felt this much energy going through my body while watching that game. The return to the Big 12 along with the 4 Corner PAC rivals has me stoked given the history between the Buffs and their Big 8 rivals. I'm also an OU fan due to family and I'm stoked at the potential rivalries the Sooners could develop in the SEC especially Arkansas & LSU in addition to UT, A&M, and Missouri.

Casual fans are important and I was one when I watched that 1989 Nebraska-CU game on the TV. The Denver Broncos were the first NFL team I followed and I started two years earlier. I feel like I'm back at square one at this point. I don't think people are interested in watching a NFL minor league establish itself and I already have been contemplating a NFL only future.

The conference realignments have been all about schools undercutting other schools, and in the end ruining some, in pursuit of money.

Could the schools have gotten together and tried to realign in a way that created max benefits for the kids, the sports, the schools nationwide? No, that would be un-American.

Where's the funding going to come from for EVERY OTHER SPORT in a relegation system?

"Oh, sorry your recruiting budget got halved, Coach Payne, but the football team just got relegated and CU lost 90% of our media revenue and home ticket and concession sales are now projected to drop by 60%..."

Teams that don't get relegated would dominate every single varsity sport.

And you’ve been wrong for years. Relegation works (sort of) for professional sports. It absolutely sucks for college athletics.
Why?

I've put forward reasons when I've posted about it. You continue to make assertions with no reasoning.

Where's the funding going to come from for EVERY OTHER SPORT in a relegation system?

"Oh, sorry your recruiting budget got halved, Coach Payne, but the football team just got relegated and CU lost 90% of our media revenue and home ticket and concession sales are now projected to drop by 60%..."

Teams that don't get relegated would dominate every single varsity sport.
You coast down.

It would also force schools to keep athletics budgets within reason when they do well - and maybe, you know, use the extra money to fund the university's mission rather than pad coaches' bank accounts.

You coast down.

It would also force schools to keep athletics budgets within reason when they do well - and maybe, you know, use the extra money to fund the university's mission rather than pad coaches' bank accounts.
I'm not following "coast down"

Back