What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Lost me at relegation. Honestly an awful idea at this level. I have no idea why that keeps getting brought up as some kind of worthy goal.
It just formalizes the difference between P5 and Go5.

Vanderbilt et al don't really belong in P5. Why keep them in a conference where they'll never compete?

Promotion/relegation has informally happened this century with Utah moving up etc.

It just formalizes the difference between P5 and Go5.

Vanderbilt et al don't really belong in P5. Why keep them in a conference where they'll never compete?

Promotion/relegation has informally happened this century with Utah moving up etc.
I'm totally fine with it if we were to do this as a zero-based exercise and pick the 36-64 schools that represent our highest fan engagement & potential along with a willingness to compete for a championship.

But I don't support moving programs up or down every year. I could get behind a school losing membership if they don't meet budget and facilities standards over after a period of being put on probation for failing to meet the minimum.

I'm totally fine with it if we were to do this as a zero-based exercise and pick the 36-64 schools that represent our highest fan engagement & potential along with a willingness to compete for a championship.

But I don't support moving programs up or down every year. I could get behind a school losing membership if they don't meet budget and facilities standards over after a period of being put on probation for failing to meet the minimum.
Better yet, just pick the 24 best teams based on recruiting and track record (once you have one) and let them play ONLY each other until there are 4 teams left….then playoff…then NC game. Completely closed league*

Teams that finish poorly, say the bottom six or eight of the 24, get sent back to their original conference and a new team thats worthy (from anywhere) replaces them.

Rinse repeat each year.

*maybe allow one exhibition game against in conference rival thats not promoted. Maybe not.

Better yet, just pick the 24 best teams based on recruiting and track record (once you have one) and let them play ONLY each other until there are 4 teams left….playoff…NC

Teams that finish poorly, say the bottom six or eight, get sent back to their original conference and a new team (from anywhere) replaces them.

Rinse repeat each year.
I wouldn't do it by results but by commitment & resources. Over a reasonable timeline, that eliminates fluky stuff and gets you to the actual peers.

I wouldn't do it by results but by commitment & resources. Over a reasonable timeline, that eliminates fluky stuff and gets you to the actual peers.
Except that teams like Nebraska cant play ball yet have plenty of commitment, resources and support. You win out in the lower level you probably have coaching and recruiting. Only 24 teams small for a reason; that means some coaching and some quality players will end up in the lowers so they have a chance.

What you describe sounds like a club. Which is already what we have.

Last edited:
Except that teams like Nebraska cant play ball yet have plenty of commitment, resources and support. You win out in the lower level you probably have coaching and recruiting. Only 24 teams small for a reason; that means some coaching and some quality players will end up in the lowers so they have a chance.

What you describe sounds like a club. Which is already what we have.
You'd really relegate Nebraska - one of the all-time programs playing to a near-full stadium over 80k no matter the opponent and willing to spend with the elites for coaches & players - and send them down to the minors for a bad run while elevating someone like Toledo for stringing together a good run?

Are you trying to lose money and tank viewership?

You'd really relegate Nebraska - one of the all-time programs playing to a near-full stadium over 80k no matter the opponent and willing to spend with the elites for coaches & players - and send them down to the minors for a bad run while elevating someone like Toledo for stringing together a good run?

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

SMU bought its way into P5, which is a private money-printing machine that has no rules and never has
OSU and WSU have been investing and working hard to be good P5 conference member
I would not likely have SMU in a league of 64, but would possibly have OSU and WSU
Permanent damage is being inflicted on OSU and WSU, and I know many of you have said, that is what it is and the rest of the PAC wanted it that way, but a 64-team league would not have regional or local bias or shenanigans, rather it is more like World Sports Clubs where if you have it and can support it, that is it.

Be cool to have a 64-Team league and each team pays a $1 Million Dollar Championship buy-in and the winner takes it all
Why are you so concerned about the fate of two schools who blame CU for their fate?

This sport really hasn't been affected by them not playing in a bowl in 7 years.

I don't see we can't make them.....join the FCS. They may actually win games at that level.

:ROFLMAO:

Why are you threatening me with a good time?

The main Colorado gem in that article is that Phil apparently broke up with the P12 via text. Seems like we were checked out and not buying what Kliavkoff was selling for a while.
It went down like we've speculated (known) on this board.

The Pac had over a year to figure out finances post-USC/UCLA. They rejected a good deal from ESPN that would have the conference together. CU couldn't reasonably wait any longer.

There is a slight effort to paint CU as the bad guys here, I think (i.e. Washington is portrayed as having a tragic and difficult decision to make, and CU simply "chased the bag") but clearly the conference was unable to get their **** together.

Do we know how CU felt about the Fall of 2022 ESPN offer? If we supported it, and other schools didn't, it would certainly explain Phil's text.

The Pac had over a year to figure out finances post-USC/UCLA. They rejected a good deal from ESPN that would have the conference together. CU couldn't reasonably wait any longer.

There is a slight effort to paint CU as the bad guys here, I think (i.e. Washington is portrayed as having a tragic and difficult decision to make, and CU simply "chased the bag") but clearly the conference was unable to get their **** together.

Do we know how CU felt about the Fall of 2022 ESPN offer? If we supported it, and other schools didn't, it would certainly explain Phil's text.

Anemic leadership across a majority of the schools exemplifies how we arrived at this moment. For too many years it was way too academic and clean noses. That led to several years of meh football. By the time some of the schools woke up it was too late. The Presidents had lost sight so badly they were shocked USC and UCLA would actually leave at all. 😂

Allegedly all of the school Prez/Chanc types on the P12 board were originally convinced that valuation was higher and that offers would be coming “soon” at first (post LAexit). I think that Colorado got antsy first because “soon” became a refrain instead of a statement about timing. This intuition was correct since Colorado’s anemic on field product left us vulnerable to not having a seat. When we kept hearing “soon” and the B12 had been wining and dining us for months with a real deal, it became time to leave.

Than what? Nothing! Pac was simply a toxic league run by idiotic presidents that had no clue how the real business world works! Definitely the ivory tower syndrome.
Talking about FSU not CU. Even if FSU settles for a fraction of the 572m floating around, it seems hard to make the math work if they end up in the Big 12. For whatever reason, there is the perception the Big 12 is more stable (even though they have lost more members (ACC has lost exactly one) and have lost them more recently), but I don’t think the economics are actually much if any better.

Back