What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Fair. These seemed like perfectly good reasons to bolt when CU did. And everyone pretty much agreed that we’d be far better off. A lot of this is easy to see in hindsight, but I guess a better way to make my point is—the PAC 10/12 has historically been stuck in the mud, resting perpetually on their rose bowl, Olympic sports, and academic prestige, and it should be no surprise that they still are.
I don’t think you know what the word perpetually means. The PACxx was always a power until recently.

USC needs two more western based teams for making in conference games easier, and CU and Stanford make the most sense.

Fair. These seemed like perfectly good reasons to bolt when CU did. And everyone pretty much agreed that we’d be far better off. A lot of this is easy to see in hindsight, but I guess a better way to make my point is—the PAC 10/12 has historically been stuck in the mud, resting perpetually on their rose bowl, Olympic sports, and academic prestige, and it should be no surprise that they still are.

In the timeline below the dominoes only started way back in the 90s when the Big12 was created The Pac10 was one of the last conferences to move on expansion. If OU and UT had come along with us things might have been different. But UT, always the bratty spoiler, wouldnt give up the LHN and only did when ESPN got them into the SEC. There are a lot of reasons why the Pac12 didnt reach elite status like the B1G, SEC. East coast bias versus distant time zone is one. The decline or stagnation of prep football out west is another. Fanbase indifferences yet another. The lack of schools in the west to target for expansion was always a problem too.

Things really picked up in the last 10 years. Fox and ESPN are responsible for a lot of the mess which started not long after cabletv and 24hr sports networks came along.

1990 Penn State joins B1G
1991 Arkansas, South Carolina join SEC
1994 saw the Big8 expand to the Big12 adding UT, TT, A&M, Baylor
2005 saw the Big East begin to meltdown when Miami, VT and BC move to the ACC
2011 Colorado, Utah join Pac12. Nebraska joins B1G
2012 A&M and Missouri join SEC as Big12 meltsdown
2013 Big East folds
2014 Maryland Rutgers join the B1G to make 14 members.
2021 SEC poaches OU and UT to reach 16 teams
2022 B1G poaches USC and UCLA to reach 16 members.

Last edited:
Seems like thanks to the 30 day exclusive rights Fox & ESPN has for the P12 media rights, there won’t be much action until next month at the earliest.

How did Baylor get a Big 8 invite? Terrible athletics and small metro area. Was it just politics?

How did Baylor get a Big 8 invite? Terrible athletics and small metro area. Was it just politics?
Largely politics, same for Tech. Bob Bullock lobbied for both (contrary to popular internet myth, Anny Richards gave zero ****s). Tech and Baylor were, easily, the next two in line during the SWC breakup (both had much higher attendance and interest than other remaining SWC members), but originally Texas and A&M had wanted to go alone. When Bullock and others put some intense political pressure to get more Texas schools on the lifeboat, those two were the obvious choices.

Does the BIG regret adding Maryland and Rutgers in 2014? Seems so odd now - I wonder if those TV markets have paid off.

Does the BIG regret adding Maryland and Rutgers in 2014? Seems so odd now - I wonder if those TV markets have paid off.
Bruh?!?!

Do you not see the Fox folks now writing more, even bigger checks??? Where do you think Fox gets its money from?

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Glad to see people have taken the Elon-Benzos-botnet pill....

West coast football take me home, to the place I beeloongg. Amazon shipping warehouse! **** Texas, bevo suucks. USCeee, you're mascot is a condom.

Music to my ears

Good rant from Russilo starting at 11 minutes here. Goes program by program that have been involved in realignment over the past 30 years or so and asks if any fanbases have actually been happy. Conclusion is that Utah is the only one that probably is.

Didn't listen, but Tech fans have definitely been happier in the ACC than we were in the Big East.

Wait they’re close to NYC?? No s**t bruh.

I’ve been told repeatedly in these threads that proximity to these media markets are less important today. Would the BIG not have any NYC media access without Rutgers?
The money and the moves suggests the complete opposite. Somewhere someone in Foxs basement is reading these ratings and preparing reports for the Fox C-Suite folks. Nothing screams this more than reaching so far out of the conference footprint to add the nations #2 TV market. ESPN and Fox would not lay such big piles of money at these schools feet if they didnt see revenue.

The money and the moves suggests the complete opposite. Somewhere someone is reading these ratings and preparing reports for the Fox C-Suite folks. Nothing screams this more than reaching so far out of the conference footprint to add the nations #2 TV market.
If that were the case Stanford and Cal would be in the BIG like tomorrow. USC is a national brand, Rutgers is not. I have a hard time believing that conferences can’t get distribution in the NYC market without Rutgers.

If that were the case Stanford and Cal would be in the BIG like tomorrow. USC is a national brand, Rutgers is not. I have a hard time believing that conferences can’t get distribution in the NYC market without Rutgers.

Cable carriage fees for Fox family of channels. This article talks mostly about Fox News channel but all the sports channels are bundled with it. And the local affiliate broadcasters are another source of revenue.

FOX News Channel (US) generates some of the best margins in all of media.

"We are an essential part of the bundle," he said, noting almost 70% of the company's renewals with pay TV operators are coming up over the next two years ahead of the 2024 presidential election cycle. "It’s a tremendous opportunity for us to capture our audience share and ratings success and translate that to pricing."

FOX News Channel's license fee growth means the network now earns more from carriage fees than it does from advertising. Kagan, a media research group within S&P Global Market Intelligence, estimates the network will average $2.08 in monthly subscriber fees in 2022.

Still, Murdoch said advertising remains "very, very strong," as the channel is taking share from other news networks. "We now represent Middle America in a way that we have more Democrats and Independents watching Fox News than watch MSNBC (US) or CNN (US)," he said, without supplying specific numbers. "We have a broader array of advertisers than we've ever had before."

Moreover, the narrower business focus is helping Fox drive higher retransmission-consent fees from pay TV operators. Distributors pay retrans fees to broadcasters in exchange for permission to carry stations' local signals.

These moves are about consolidating power heading into negotiations. They have the power to Threaten to black out college sports and other content in some pretty big metro TV markets and deny a lot of B1G alums their Saturday joy. Adding these schools to your lineup is also taking content away from someone else’s network.

Video Games Shrug GIF by Xbox

Last edited:
When Rutgers was added, things were different. It allowed the B1G to get a different carriage rate for the BTN. I feel this has been explained roughly 67 times on this thread.

Origin of "Rutgers":

"The eighth of nine colleges established during the American colonial period, Rutgers was chartered as Queen's College on 10 November 1766. It was renamed Rutgers College in 1825 after Colonel Henry Rutgers (1745–1830), an American Revolutionary War hero, philanthropist, and an early benefactor of the school.[1] With the development of graduated education, Rutgers College was renamed Rutgers University in 1924. Originally established as a private institution affiliated with the Dutch Reformed Church, it is now a secular institution and became New Jersey's leading state university of New Jersey under legislation passed in 1945 and 1956. At present, Rutgers is unique as the only university in the United States that is a colonial chartered college (1766), a land-grant institution (1864), and a state university (1945/1956).[2]"

......from Wikipedia.

I post this only because I got to wondering where the name came from. Always reminds me of "Ruh-roh". Fun Fact to Know: It's the Alma Mater of CNBC's Becky Quick.....

Back