What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If I'm him, I announce student-athlete admissions & transfer changes, add some general studies type majors, and take out a loan for hundreds of millions to do the following:

1. Folsom renovation
2. Field sports complex moved from East Campus & elsewhere to practice field & family housing area (build soccer & lacrosse stadium that seats about 20k).
3. Tear down the Keg and build a dual purpose Basketball & Hockey arena on same spot.
4. Build stadiums for Baseball & Softball on South Campus.
5. Add the following programs: baseball, men's soccer, men's lacrosse, softball, men's and women's hockey, women's gymnastics, women's beach volleyball, women's triathlon.

If this commitment didn't get us into the B1G now, long-term we'd be in the top tier after it all shook out. No way that a CU with all that, AAU + R1 + ARWU Top 100 academics, Top 20 (soon top 15) media market, travel hub airport for the nation, and the 6th fastest growing state (2020 US Census) gets left out.
You mean pretend like we care

I can’t find any data about athletic endowments if that’s what you’re referring to.
You asked what their AD would look like after Phil Knight dies. It’ll be a department with endless money from the largest endowment to an Athletic Department. You couldn’t find data because major University ADs are not operating wifh full budgetary transparency - especially regarding donations.

Everyone here seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room. CU has absolutely no desire to be competitive in football. You really think RG is working his ass off to get CU into the Big 10? I'm sure he, CU leadership and the BOR are fine with this move and will be happy to join whatever conference the remains of the Pac 12 and Big 12 end up in. Lots of Buff colored glasses and mental gymnastics being done here to get CU into this new power conference. But CU has no business in it, and they know it.

This is absolute bull****.

“the university doesn’t actually care about academics.”

Signed,
CU academics. And also USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Washington

If I'm him, I announce student-athlete admissions & transfer changes, add some general studies type majors, and take out a loan for hundreds of millions to do the following:

1. Folsom renovation
2. Field sports complex moved from East Campus & elsewhere to practice field & family housing area (build soccer & lacrosse stadium that seats about 20k).
3. Tear down the Keg and build a dual purpose Basketball & Hockey arena on same spot.
5. Add the following programs: baseball, men's soccer, men's lacrosse, softball, men's and women's hockey, women's gymnastics, women's beach volleyball, women's triathlon.

If this commitment didn't get us into the B1G now, long-term we'd be in the top tier after it all shook out. No way that a CU with all that, AAU + R1 + ARWU Top 100 academics, Top 20 (soon top 15) media market, travel hub airport for the nation, and the 6th fastest growing state (2020 US Census) gets left out.
Well, this will never happen.

Saliman is actually a friend of athletics, but he isn't a big mover and shaker

Well, this will never happen.

Saliman is actually a friend of athletics, but he isn't a big mover and shaker
I know. Really, if he does nothing besides making sure we get a good Chancellor, expressing support for things athletics ask for which are within the norms for peer institutions, and is present for major athletic donor functions then even at that basic level we're in a better place by magnitudes. It's all I'm able to allow myself to hope for.

Rivalry with Utah and they had something with ASU before the Sun Devils left for the P10. In times of uncertainty, going back to what worked could be the best path forward. BYU can just tell the Big 12 they are not coming

UA, ASU, Utah, and CU might still go to the Big 12. If that happens, what pod will CU be part of since the two AZ & UT schools would be in one pod? I hope we could be in one with two Texas schools in that case.

First expansion call should go out to BYU and if that doesn’t happen, we might as well pack our bags for the Big 12.
3, right?

They couldn't give less of a ****.

Statement on Pac-12 membership changes​

Published: July 1, 2022
A statement from CU Boulder Chancellor Philip DiStefano and Athletic Director Rick George:
The announcement of USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten came as a disappointment to all of us at CU Boulder. Despite this news, we remain *resolute in our commitment to our student-athletes and will continue to provide them the resources for success both in the classroom and on the fields of competition.
We have been in constant communication with our fellow universities as well as conference leadership and will continue to work closely as this dynamic situation continues to develop. CU Boulder is a world-class academic institution with elite athletic programs and will continue to be a leading voice in the changing college athletics landscape.

* we will continue to allow unfettered transfers of our best players to USC

There’s going to be a lot of stories flying around the next several months. Some will have us with a B1G invite. Basically every scenario that can be dreamed up is going to get floated by somebody who is supposedly “in the know”. It will make for entertaining theater.
I’m looking at you, Kelli Brooks.

I wonder how this is going over with the USC and UCLA alums? They are severing ties with Stanford and Cal. Many of their games are going to be half way across the country. This sure doesn’t seem like an”fan friendly” move. Not to mention California and West Coast recruits will be playing a lot of games out of reach of family. But hey! Maybe I’m overrating that stuff. They will be able to recruit better on a national basis. And it’ll be interesting to see how this effects NIL money for their athletes.
Asked my UCLA-alum uncle and his USC-alum daughter how they felt. The LOVE it. Felt like the Pac-12 has been a drag for years and the BIG will give better exposure, recruiting, and some thing root for.
so there that, I guess.

What really strikes me about the CU Admin is just how delusional they've become. They want to be known as an academic's first institution. Great. How is that working out for you with your 83% acceptance rate? How about rankings, while we've been neglecting the front porch for 20 years, you'd hope they'd show some progress on bolstering our stellar academic record. Instead, we've steadily fallen down the rankings of public institutions. CU should embrace exactly what they are: A middling academic school that provides an unreal experience for local kids and rich kids from out of state. Part of that experience is (was) athletics. Perhaps if more people wanted to attend they could be more selective on who they accept, rather than just taking anyone with a pulse and the means to pay full freight.
To be fair, CU rejected my daughter…although she was accepted at Penn State and UT

1. Folsom renovation

How do they add incremental value to a 100M+ TV rights package across 16 teams?

James Corden Facepalm GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I do not see what you tangibly gain with 20 team conferences where at least half the teams are filler.
As I was watching "kick me to the curb" Herbstreet on espn yesterday, he has this notion that when the dust settles, there will be 2 power 5 conferences with up to 50 schools in each conference! I'm like, dude you need to put down your crack pipe and explain how that would work. Especially as to how a national champion would be determined.

1. Folsom renovation

I will never entertain additional sports until football and MBB are funded enough to be in the Top 25 of all schools every year. Performance should follow.

Once both teams are consistently delivering a performance at that level, it should become a fly wheel accept for the occassional coaching hire mistake, where you have to own up to it and fix it within 2 years (not 5, 6, or 7 years).

THEN we can talk about additional sports.

I will never entertain additional sports until football and MBB are funded enough to be in the Top 25 of all schools every year. Performance should follow.

Once both teams are consistently delivering a performance at that level, it should become a fly wheel accept for the occassional coaching hire mistake, where you have to own up to it and fix it within 2 years (not 5, 6, or 7 years).

THEN we can talk about additional sports.
A committed and funded plan doesn't mean doing everything at once.

Back