What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If I'm him, I announce student-athlete admissions & transfer changes, add some general studies type majors, and take out a loan for hundreds of millions to do the following:

1. Folsom renovation
2. Field sports complex moved from East Campus & elsewhere to practice field & family housing area (build soccer & lacrosse stadium that seats about 20k).
3. Tear down the Keg and build a dual purpose Basketball & Hockey arena on same spot.
4. Build stadiums for Baseball & Softball on South Campus.
5. Add the following programs: baseball, men's soccer, men's lacrosse, softball, men's and women's hockey, women's gymnastics, women's beach volleyball, women's triathlon.

If this commitment didn't get us into the B1G now, long-term we'd be in the top tier after it all shook out. No way that a CU with all that, AAU + R1 + ARWU Top 100 academics, Top 20 (soon top 15) media market, travel hub airport for the nation, and the 6th fastest growing state (2020 US Census) gets left out.
Dude, none of this is going to happen. New Guy is not going to switch no the ship that fast, this soon no matter what’s happening in the CFB world right now.

To be fair, CU rejected my daughter…although she was accepted at Penn State and UT
Sounds like my son. Transfer accepted at UCSB, FSU and UT among others. CU said “nah, wait list him.” Meanwhile our Cali friends’ daughter rocking a solid 2.7 HS GPA gets in. But, Boulder and white girls - AMIRITE? It’s a fvcking sh!t show up there.

i don't see the SEC having any interest in the AZ schools. unless you want perennial 6 win teams to service the bottom. they get OK state is better.

even though they get slagged on this board a lot for some reason i don't understand all the time..... Pokes have been a top 15 program for about a decade. they have great golf and baseball and all that spring sports stuff the SEC likes.

you say: well, they get Phoenix markets and such.....but, this isn't about geography anymore.

it's not about personal histories, family past, my dad and his dad went to CU.....regional identification, alumni commitments, the old times, singing the fight song....

i don't those people are the voices making these decisions.

if Oregon goes to the SEC, that will be icing on all this for me.

I just realized that wasn't Dodds tweeting, but a guy from Oregon.

He's ignoring the long game. The SEC going to 20 with schools that don't grow the pie like Utah and UA keeps them from doing what they and the Big Ten really want - raiding the ACC, destroying it, and ending up with only 2 conferences left.
I just don't see how adding more institutions from the South moves the needle for the SEC. The big ones are Miami, Clemson, FSU. You have member institutions that would likely object. Oregon grows the pie geographically. They have a rabid fan base, only one professional sports team, and a **** ton of money. After adding Texas and Oklahoma, Oregon seems like the next logical step to me. Especially now that the B1G is in SoCal.

I guess the question is: Which conference will be proactive, and which one will be reactive?

Forget all the stuff about academics, culture, cheating, paying players - it all has gone out the window.

To put this in perspective, Major League Soccer just signed a $250m/year TV deal. A Big12 CFB conference consisting of the programs mentioned will garner substantially more, probably at least double that.

The Premier League gets 450m a year from NBC FWIW

Sounds like my son. Transfer accepted at UCSB, FSU and UT among others. CU said “nah, wait list him.” Meanwhile our Cali friends’ daughter rocking a solid 2.7 HS GPA gets in. But, Boulder and white girls - AMIRITE? It’s a fvcking sh!t show up there.
Definitely

How interested in Miami, Clemson and and FSU will the SEC be? They already own the footprint. How much more $$ do those programs bring that conference?

Well, my thought process is: "Those are attractive programs that will find a landing spot. They won't get left out. So we would rather have them associated with us rather than our competitor."

We haven’t been year-in, year-out competitive in 20 years. There are external factors, but there’s not much else that makes us attractive as an option for the evolution of this sport.

Sort of. People like Colorado. They like watching CU. They like the view of the Flatirons during breaks, they like Ralphie, they like our uniforms. We actually get ratings when we're good enough to compete. He'll, CU-NU should not get national TV coverage, but it does, because of NU's history and the fact that people like to watch us.

We actually do have a lot going for us in terms of drawing eyeballs. But we've squandered all of that. Nobody wants to watch us lose by 50 in a half-empty stadium. We're relegated to the worst times on the worst network. That's on us.

People didn't want to hear it back then and some still don't want to hear it now but the P12's fate was sealed when it failed to get OU and UT. That left the P12 out of options for expansion. With those two on board I think there's a chance you sell your media rights for something comparable to what the B1G got which would have increased its competitiveness in football and made the P12 less vulnerable to getting its team poached. But I think the core issue here is the economic imbalance between the B1G/SEC and the other conferences that was impossible to overcome long term and finally broke the camel's back.

We haven’t been year-in, year-out competitive in 20 years. There are external factors, but there’s not much else that makes us attractive as an option for the evolution of this sport.
If it is true that we were cheating under Mac, it is hard to imagine CU having success in a world where that conduct is now legal.

Surprised how many posters here think we are going to the big 10 anytime soon. We have sucked for 20 years. Seem to get new HC every 4 years. Current HC could possibly be replaced in two years. I would put CU around 6 to 8th on Big 10 list of schools they say yes too. CU has a much higher probability going back the Big 12 with Utah and Arizona schools. We may not know until 2023 season.

I’m somewhat surprised that people haven’t recognized what makes sports fun. It’s certainly not being an also-ran in a field/tier with the likes of Alabama and Georgia. I’ve mentioned on this board for years that everyone would be happier if they understood and accepted how truly far behind all the western schools are from the SEC. There really is no formula for national relevance for Colorado without coming up with some white knight scenarios (like an actual Knight, Phil). You need to be competitive and you need real rivalries.

Of course, in the highly unlikely event that CU was offered an invite to the Big Ten, you take it. And that would make CU more competitive, although it really still doesn’t mask all the other deficiencies regarding recruiting footprint, NIL support, fan support, and school support. All the SEC money hasn’t made Vanderbilt any better.

Personally, I don’t care if CU is playing down a level. That’s ok. Just be competitive in that league. And be part of a regional league, one where you play nearby schools. It’s more fun. I always feel the smaller schools have been having way more fun than we sometimes recognize. And if you want to watch the best of the best in the sport, go catch a Broncos game.

Back