What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Dan is a CU grad. He majored in history and graduated in, I think 1987, but I could be off by a couple of years.
I believe he said he was ‘86-‘90, so he talked about gettin to see the rise of the program back then all that.

Last edited:
the Buffs have stunk up the joint for several decades, but there is always hope. i do not view the b12 remnants as some unbelievably strong murderers row of opponents. but, that is also how i felt about things when we announced the pac move and we opened that up with a 50 point loss to ****ing cal and still have zero wins ever against usc.

utah, as much as it pains me to say it, is probably the model we need to follow-- develop players, keep things stable, hope to contend every so often. i think that model will work more in the b12 than it has in the pac as currently comprised and certainly better than it will in the short run in either the big or sec.

and, if we do end up in the remnant big 12, every single team in the conference who gets on a roll ever and wins and tries to insert itself into the conversation for the national championship is going to be automatically discounted because of the level of competition. the gap is huge and getting even larger.

Eastern Washington, Boise St, Gonzaga football team, Idaho, Sac. St, San Jose St, Fresno St, Nevada, Wyoming be like

fetchimage
Gonzaga has a football team?

1. Cord cutting is sort of a red herring when it comes to this issue. Bundling will still play a major role with sports packages on decentralized TV platforms. It’s just that the people who get the sports packages will pay more for higher tiers. Higher tiers negotiated by networks and conferences.

2. The B1G added two teams from Los Angeles to get top tier guaranteed money from all providers in LA. Plus, the B1G removed all other conferences from getting top tier guaranteed money from the LA market by taking both U$C and UCLA. UCLA is not a ratings juggernaut even in LA. This example is actually an argument against your ratings concept.

The full year of fees via millions of people having only cable, dish, or dtv was good money considering some didnt even watch sports but still subsidized it.

14. In 2019, cable industry subscriptions in the US were worth $92.44 billion.

(Source: Statista)
That figure is up from $4.5 billion in 1980, according to cable TV subscribers statistics. However, providers have witnessed a steady decline in revenue over the last few years. The industry reached a peak of $99 billion in 2013

Some People have dropped set top services and only carry some combination of Amazon, Netflix, Disney+, and or Hulu contribute $0 towards conferences. Gen Z and Millenials do not seem to be adopting the set top systems at all finding plenty to watch on tik tok.

23. 63% of Americans over the age of 68 pay for cable TV.

(Source: Cable Compare)
When looking at cable TV subscribers statistics in 2021, you can see that the younger generation isn’t as interested in paying for TV. Less than half (46%) of those aged 18-37 pay for a TV subscription. For those aged 37-48, the percentage is slightly higher at 48%. 55% of people between 47 and 67 have a subscription, and 63% of those older than 68 still pay for TV.
Old people are the majority of set top subscribers. When these old people die or go to the nursing home these subscriptions will die too.

There are also people on this very board that say they only carry Sling or Yahoo during football season since its month to month. Thus denying networks 12 full month of subscriber fees. I suppose the future will be premium tiers as you describe thatll just be more expensive and count on die hard sports fans to pay up.

Cord cutting is still happening. The two wealthiest networks, Fox and ESPN/Disney are consolidating the most valuable properties under their respective umbrellas to keep eyes on their programming. That suggests to me that if youre not in either of the two conferences these networks care about youre going to be on the outside looking in in terms of payday. These same networks also probably know where cord cutting is happening and where it isnt happening.

Last edited:
The full year of fees via millions of people having only cable, dish, or dtv was good money considering some didnt even watch sports but still subsidized it.

That figure is up from $4.5 billion in 1980, according to cable TV subscribers statistics. However, providers have witnessed a steady decline in revenue over the last few years. The industry reached a peak of $99 billion in 2013

Some People have dropped set top services and only carry some combination of Amazon, Netflix, Disney+, and or Hulu contribute $0 towards conferences. Gen Z and Millenials do not seem to be adopting the set top systems at all finding plenty to watch on tik tok.

When looking at cable TV subscribers statistics in 2021, you can see that the younger generation isn’t as interested in paying for TV. Less than half (46%) of those aged 18-37 pay for a TV subscription. For those aged 37-48, the percentage is slightly higher at 48%. 55% of people between 47 and 67 have a subscription, and 63% of those older than 68 still pay for TV.
Old people are the majority of set top subscribers. When these old people die or go to the nursing home these subscriptions will die too.

There are also people on this very board that say they only carry Sling or Yahoo during football season since its month to month. Thus denying networks 12 full month of subscriber fees. I suppose the future will be premium tiers as you describe thatll just be more expensive and count on die hard sports fans to pay up.

Cord cutting is still happening. The two wealthiest networks, Fox and ESPN/Disney are consolidating the most valuable properties under their respective umbrellas to keep eyes on their programming. That suggests to me that if youre not in either of the two conferences these networks care about youre going to be on the outside looking in in terms of payday. These same networks also probably know where cord cutting is happening and where it isnt happening.

Dead on. I’m 37 and have never subscribed to cable or satellite in my adult life. I have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN + and Amazon Prime. Verizon pays for the Disney package and Amazon is thrown in with our prime membership so I guess I pay $40 a month. I only carry sling for a few select months to watch the Buffs or NBA/NHL playoffs.

I have zero interest in paying Comcast $150 a month for 200 channels I won’t watch littered with ads every 3 minutes.

Idk anyone my age (20s) with a cable subscription. We just watch the games on the internet for free ezpz
I need to figure all of this out. I have been waiting for the end of the Tour de France to consider getting rid of my cable and DVD.
I need to make sure I can record or watch games after they are played. But I agree with the general consensus on here that it's ridiculous to pay Spectrum $1,800 a year or so for most stuff I will never watch--all with ads, when we watch ALL our movies and shows on other apps.

My concern has just been sports. It's time to figure this out. (BTW. The Tour this year was awesome!!!).

Last edited:
Dead on. I’m 37 and have never subscribed to cable or satellite in my adult life. I have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN + and Amazon Prime. Verizon pays for the Disney package and Amazon is thrown in with our prime membership so I guess I pay $40 a month. I only carry sling for a few select months to watch the Buffs or NBA/NHL playoffs.

I have zero interest in paying Comcast $150 a month for 200 channels I won’t watch littered with ads every 3 minutes.
Amazon Prime is not free. As Amazon acquires more live sports programming and they build their monopoly, their fees will rise.

Your package with Verizon is currently inexpensive and will also eventually run out. It’s not like they can give you that service and provide you with phone/data for that fee forever. They won’t do so either.

People will still want to watch sports on TV. Even on decentralized platforms, as cable and satellite transition to app based viewing, sports fans will have to pay more to watch sports on TV on both fronts. Cable/satellite companies will raise their fees for sports packages. Month-to-month will always be more expensive because they’re accounting for cancellations during non-peak watch times.

The future is still undetermined.

Comcast lost 96,000 customers during the first quarter of 2018, its fourth straight quarter of subscriber losses. In 2019, it was losing over 2500 users every day. And in Q4 2020 it lost 200,000.

AT&T’s DirecTV satellite service lost 188,000 customers in the same period, which brought down video revenue by $660 million.

What does all this mean? Can the TV companies continue to pay huge paydays? Will the hide the content on ESPN+ if the set tops drop them? Or will they eventually walk away from the conferences and let grant of right payout prices fall?

My suspicion is this last decade or so of consolidation was the two power TV providers attempting to make as many marquee matchups as possible in order to prime the pump on advertising dollars.

Amazon Prime is not free. As Amazon acquires more live sports programming and they build their monopoly, their fees will rise.

Your package with Verizon is currently inexpensive and will also eventually run out. It’s not like they can give you that service and provide you with phone/data for that fee forever. They won’t do so either.

I never said it would be free or cost this much forever. But, prime video is thrown in with our prime shipping so for me it’s free because i wouldn’t subscribe to it. Verizon is a nice add-on but once that does I’ll cancel all of those too save for maybe Disney +

If you consider all of the trackers and personal data getting stolen, it’s not a direct payment, though definitely not free.
Nothing is free if you try to account for all possible externalities… no ****

It’s free to load up a pirated stream via VPN and you can find anything you want for 0 payment if that’s your preferred term rather than free

I can't wait until I get to dump Comcast at the new house. We are paying $200/month for a bundle that is cheaper than internet alone. They get away with this because CenturyLink doesn't have a credible competing product at the current house.

At the new house, I'll get CenturyLink 1 gig fiber for $65/month price for life with no contract. You can cancel at any time.

I can't wait until I get to dump Comcast at the new house. We are paying $200/month for a bundle that is cheaper than internet alone. They get away with this because CenturyLink doesn't have a credible competing product at the current house.

At the new house, I'll get CenturyLink 1 gig fiber for $65/month price for life with no contract. You can cancel at any time.

I have 800 through comcast for $60 for 2 years. Every time the deal runs out I threaten to cancel and they upgrade my speed and lower the cost. That’s how it should be anyways.

People will still want to watch sports on TV. Even on decentralized platforms, as cable and satellite transition to app based viewing, sports fans will have to pay more to watch sports on TV on both fronts. Cable/satellite companies will raise their fees for sports packages. Month-to-month will always be more expensive because they’re accounting for cancellations during non-peak watch times.
Which may mean that we end up having to pick and choose which sports we are willing to pay for and lose access to much that we aren't.

There will still be the sports, including most of the widest interest such as the super bowl or the Olympics (didn't say highest rated but widest interest) available on over the air broadcast TV. For the next level including your local professional or college sports teams you buy a package, either for those specific teams or for a conference or league, no package no free legal access (almost impossible to stop streaming but as mentioned by others that comes with certain cost/risks.)

The net result will be much less ability to turn on you cable or your streaming service and flip around until you see a sporting event that interest you at the moment but isn't something you would pay separately to see. No more Tuesday or Wednesday MAC football or ECAC basketball games that you run across and stick to.

Net result will be higher costs, less variety, and more of the revenues funneling into the already most powerful sports providers. The B1G and SEC Networks generate more revenue, the MWC package ends up generating less revenue.

And in that situation the PAC12-2 (plus whatever stragglers they might add) becomes much closer to the MWC than to the SEC/B1G.

I hope the math and strategy behind realignment/TV deals is simpler than letting an advertiser buy signs for our facilities.

The latter has proven an insurmountable challenge thus far

I never said it would be free or cost this much forever. But, prime video is thrown in with our prime shipping so for me it’s free because i wouldn’t subscribe to it. Verizon is a nice add-on but once that does I’ll cancel all of those too save for maybe Disney +
My only point is that cord cutting is not inexpensive. It’ll continue to be get even more expensive as mega corporations like Amazon start raising prices for Prime every 3-6 months.

My only point is that cord cutting is not inexpensive. It’ll continue to be get even more expensive as mega corporations like Amazon start raising prices for Prime every 3-6 months.

They’ll hit a point of diminishing returns where the cost out ways the service. If nobody wants to pay for cable now they certainly won’t pay cable like pricing for a streaming service.

Although I’m far from a Gen Z or even a millennial for that matter, I too completely cut the cord and subscribe to no package deal. I have streaming HBO Max, Netflix, and Apple+. $30/month total. I already had Amazon Prime. I guess you could throw that in for another $10/month on average. I have a NY Times subscription and listen to NPR and the Buffs on the radio for free. I guess I’m a lot like the 20 somethings on here. Even if they gave me cable tv for free, I’d decline it. Too many crap stations and obnoxious commercials. Older people with cable tend to just leave it on some lame news station like Fox or CNN all day, which forms a sort of noise pollution in the home.

Having said the above, I get @manhattanbuff ‘s point. Perhaps we are underestimating the sports programmers ability to keep monetizing their product. I personally see a revenue slope downward. I also believe there are far fewer sports fans than people think. People like my wife who would rather drink dishwater than sit in front of the TV “watching asshole jocks play with their balls”. Or my young son who loves to fish, and swim, and surf, but could barely name five players in the NFL.

We shall see how it plays out.

Although I’m far from a Gen Z or even a millennial for that matter, I too completely cut the cord and subscribe to no package deal. I have streaming HBO Max, Netflix, and Apple+. $30/month total. I already had Amazon Prime. I guess you could throw that in for another $10/month on average. I have a NY Times subscription and listen to NPR and the Buffs on the radio for free. I guess I’m a lot like the 20 somethings on here. Even if they gave me cable tv for free, I’d decline it. Too many crap stations and obnoxious commercials. Older people with cable tend to just leave it on some lame news station like Fox or CNN all day, which forms a sort of noise pollution in the home.

Having said the above, I get @manhattanbuff ‘s point. Perhaps we are underestimating the sports programmers ability to keep monetizing their product. I personally see a revenue slope downward. I also believe there are far fewer sports fans than people think. People like my wife who would rather drink dishwater than sit in front of the TV “watching asshole jocks play with their balls”. Or my young son who loves to fish, and swim, and surf, but could barely name five players in the NFL.

We shall see how it plays out.
Agree completely. The golden age of broadcast TV is over. The dominance of pro and college sports grabbing the country's attention is peaked and wills lowly start slipping away.

They’ll hit a point of diminishing returns where the cost out ways the service. If nobody wants to pay for cable now they certainly won’t pay cable like pricing for a streaming service.
But they already do. Add up what most streaming services cost (including the hidden up-charges you pay when bundled elsewhere) and you’re already paying a boat load since each service is $10-15 per month. It feels cheaper because they’re separate. Added together, it still costs $80-$100 per month.

I don't quite get why people include the cost of internet service when they discuss how much comcast, Verizon, time Warner, etc, etc charge for "cable TV," but then exclude it when they talk about how much the streaming services cost.

Include it in both, or exclude it from both.

When you do that, they're a whole lot closer in price.

I don't quite get why people include the cost of internet service when they discuss how much comcast, Verizon, time Warner, etc, etc charge for "cable TV," but then exclude it when they talk about how much the streaming services cost.

This is part of why I haven't cut the cord.

I looked at the cost of using various ISPs plus the cost of streaming service for what I want and it just doesn't justify changing.

Where I live at the cable provider (TDS) is far and away the most reliable connection for internet. Their cable offerings give me the sports I want including PAC12 both national and Rocky Mountain, Altitude for Nuggets and Avs, AT&T for Rockies games, the ESPNs, Fox Sports 1&2. plus non-sports programing I like.

Only things I don't get in terms of sports are ESPNU and CBS Sportsnet (MWC games.)

I don't do the HBO, Cinemax, Netflix, not something I care about.

If I cut cable and went to a streaming service it would save me something like $20-30 a month and I wouldn't get all of the things I like.

In the future when we move to Grand Lake things might be very different.

But they already do. Add up what most streaming services cost (including the hidden up-charges you pay when bundled elsewhere) and you’re already paying a boat load since each service is $10-15 per month. It feels cheaper because they’re separate. Added together, it still costs $80-$100 per month.

I won’t debate they cost a lot if you subscribe to them all. I only subscribe to Netflix for $20 a month, everything else was given to me. I would never pay that much a month for TV.

Not sure why that’s confusing, they’re bundled so how would you exclude the price? Everyone has internet anyways so that’s a moot point.

Back