What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Interesting discussion on Pac-12 radio this morning. In their opinion, it will come down to a choice between (i) more money (10MM or more per school) to be exclusively on Apple TV, or (ii) less money, but stay on traditional TV with a combination of ESPN and one other partner, with the understanding that marquee matchups will be relegated to the 4th game of the weekend with Pac 12 after dark.
If it's truly a $10m/school difference, bring on Apple TV exclusively. Having the best Pac inventory in the 10pm ET slot doesn't help with exposure

New Marchand & Ourand Podcast was just released - lots of PAC12 future media right talk and it's bleak
Starts at 13.30 mark. Sounds like there was a good package on the table 6 months ago and wasn't taken :(

Guess what ? They don't think Apple is good for the PAC. Why ? It's what I've been preaching, Loss of eyeballs VS linear.

This can't help-

I hear that adding sports programming can help with growth!

Might actually give the PAC 12 a little leverage.

Interesting discussion on Pac-12 radio this morning. In their opinion, it will come down to a choice between (i) more money (10MM or more per school) to be exclusively on Apple TV, or (ii) less money, but stay on traditional TV with a combination of ESPN and one other partner, with the understanding that marquee matchups will be relegated to the 4th game of the weekend with Pac 12 after dark.
In that scenario you go with Apple. Let ESPN fill their late night slot with Fresno State.

Last edited:
It seems to track that a media company with little or no live sports content would value Pac-12 sports programming at a premium above media companies that are already able to fill their broadcast windows with similar content. So it won't surprise me if Apple or Amazon would offer the P12 significantly more than ESPN.

It seems to track that a media company with little or no live sports content would value Pac-12 sports programming at a premium above media companies that are already able to fill their broadcast windows with similar content. So it won't surprise me if Apple or Amazon would offer the P12 significantly more than ESPN.
Doesn't Amazon only want one premier game a week? Something like a Friday night Oregon VS Utah type game?

Amazon, Apple and P12 not leaking.

Seems like things are choppy, likely lots of moving parts.

I trust Marchand over Wilner.

I haven’t seen discussion of Amazon and Apple both involved. Are their offers
Mutually exclusive for P12 content? Contracts with both an option?

Amazon, Apple and P12 not leaking.

Seems like things are choppy, likely lots of moving parts.

I trust Marchand over Wilner.
I don't know what to think of Wilner. He was the beat guy for Cal, Stanford and SJSU for the Mercury. It seemed like when the P12 put all its offices in his area that he had sources. But it also seems like his sources were in the Larry Scott regime, Commish K is running things differently and closing those offices, and most of what's come from Wilner the past 18 months or so has been his own speculation or him running with planted stories to serve an agenda.

I don't know what to think of Wilner. He was the beat guy for Cal, Stanford and SJSU for the Mercury. It seemed like when the P12 put all its offices in his area that he had sources. But it also seems like his sources were in the Larry Scott regime, Commish K is running things differently and closing those offices, and most of what's come from Wilner the past 18 months or so has been his own speculation or him running with planted stories to serve an agenda.
the bolded is a hell of an accusation to make. i'm sure you have reasons and sources; that'd be a compelling topic for discussion in a media thread.

I hadn’t considered that angle, but I agree that Wilner’s reporting has been suspect ever since limousine Larry left town. Wilner used to be really good.

burning love GIF
Angela Bassett Burn GIF

Last edited:
the bolded is a hell of an accusation to make. i'm sure you have reasons and sources; that'd be a compelling topic for discussion in a media thread.
Don't make too much out of it. Most of what we see tweeted on the topic is sports reporters carrying water for conferences, media companies and/or universities that butter their bread and feed them stories which are slanted, sometimes outright fabrications, and never completely accurate. All the players have "go to guys" for when they want to get something published. My impression is that Wilner is one of those guys. And, honestly, there are a lot more shills than investigative reporters in journalism. Only takeaway from what I posted is that I don't trust Wilner's reporting as being purely factual inside information he has verified.

You'd think if Apple was willing to pay for the existing Pac, they'd pay more if the Pac dissolved and dumped Beavers, Wazzu and possibly Cal and Wildcats, and replaced them with KU, Okie State and a couple Texas schools. Maybe add Gonzaga for bball.

You'd think if Apple was willing to pay for the existing Pac, they'd pay more if the Pac dissolved and dumped Beavers, Wazzu and possibly Cal and Wildcats, and replaced them with KU, Okie State and a couple Texas schools. Maybe add Gonzaga for bball.
I don't know about Gonzaga. They're great. Their games would be good television. But it's basketball and they're a tiny school in the Spokane market. How much are they really worth? I did a quick search, but couldn't find what the media contract value was for the entire WCC - but I suspect it's less than what a single Pac-12 member gets.

Maybe it makes sense under the right terms, but I bet that Wazzu and maybe UW would fight this for the same reasons that Gonzaga has blocked the WCC from inviting U of Seattle.

(Personally, I'm hoping that the loss of BYU opens the door for Seattle and Denver to join the WCC. Grand Canyon U would also make sense.)

dump Arizona but maybe add Gonzaga for bball. there may be a lot of recency bias here -- i'm not sure that's going to resonate with a lot of people.

Big 12 teams are locked into their deal. I know this thread is basically for speculation and some fun but we need to stop with the Big 12/PAC merger, or corners leaving, or whatever talk. There is no scenario in which these two leagues combine in any way. This fairytale only exists on Twitter.

Big 12 teams are locked into their deal. I know this thread is basically for speculation and some fun but we need to stop with the Big 12/PAC merger, or corners leaving, or whatever talk. There is no scenario in which these two leagues combine in any way. This fairytale only exists on Twitter.
So what if the media deal is all on Apple for $26 million ?
I see no way Oregon, Washington sign .

Back