What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

For football, I think you almost have to do pods. I think you even start looking at a 10-game conference schedule.

At 20 teams, for example, you have 4 pods of 5 each. Play your 4 games every year against your pod. Then if you play 2 against each of the other pods on a rotation (2x3=6), you end up playing 10 conference games.

24 is actually what I like. That's 6 pods of 4. So 3 teams in your pod you always play then you go 1 game per year against each of the other pods for a total of 8 games. Or (and I like this better), you create divisions. With divisions, it's 3 vs your pod, 2 games against the 2 other pods in your division, and then 1 game against each pod in the other division for 10 total conference games.
And, even with 10 conference games, it's hard to get to Washington traveling to Miami more than about once every 6-10 years, while the bulk of UW's travel schedule stays relatively similar to what it is today.

Having 10 or so conference members in some level of geographic proximity really is meaningfully different in terms of travel requirements than what USC and UCLA face in the B1G (as currently comprised).

And, even with 10 conference games, it's hard to get to Washington traveling to Miami more than about once every 6-10 years, while the bulk of UW's travel schedule stays relatively similar to what it is today.
Which they're happy to schedule anyway in the non-con already.

I'm a big fan of the idea of a PAC-ACC super conference. It's just a shame on timing because I don't think USC & UCLA would have left if that had been on the table. Who knows? If the number was big enough, I could see ESPN trying to entice them to come back in the next round.
It wasn't on the table until their move forced the Pac (now 10) to realize they were at the point of irrelevance if they didn't think big.

From that perspective, I thank USC/UCLA.

While also acknowledging they worked this **** in secret for better part of a year while neutering the Pac 12s ability to work to solve the problem. I will ****ing hate them for that until the end of time.

DiStefano
For years, people at the University of Colorado at Boulder have speculated on when Chancellor Phil DiStefano might retire; the answer is “Never!” In fact, DiStefano passed away over seven years ago, but the University administration continues to function under his guidance or, more accurately, the leadership of eight DiStefano look-alikes who are hauled out for public view.

“Look,” said Provost Russell Moore, “the truth of the matter is that Phil never really did much while he was alive. Those of us in top-level positions at the University ran the place and told his speech writer what was going on. Then, the writer would provide Phil with a script for his various meetings and public appearances. Phil was excellent at reading the scripts. At one point, when Phil became sick, we found an actor to replace him, and no one noticed the difference. So, when he passed on, sitting at the desk in his office, almost eight years ago, we figured there was no need to go through the trouble and expense of finding a replacement. We just looked for more people who resembled Phil and now, with eight of them, there’s always one at the ready.”

When not standing in for Chancellor DiStefano, the eight Phils spend their time serving as Chip, the furry CU mascot. Those who serve as Phil (or Chip) undergo an intensive summer-long training session, to ensure that they will act, move, gesture, and talk the same way. They must also sign non-disclosure agreements, promising never to divulge the characters they portray.

“For the most part,” Moore added, “it has worked very well. There was that one time in 2018 when we mistakenly messed up the schedule and Phil #3 and Phil #7 appeared at different meetings on campus at the same time. Luckily, no one noticed the two Phils both walking back to the Chancellor’s office from different directions. Well, we’ve made sure nothing like that ever happens again. No two Phils are ever on campus at the same time. The only thing we have to worry about now is keeping straight who’s playing Phil and who’s playing Chip.

“The toughest part has been keeping the truth from his wife, daughters and grandchildren. We have Phil #6 on regular assignment for family matters. He leaves home every morning and comes back in the evening, so Yvonne hasn’t noticed anything is amiss. Number 6 is a real whiz at his job, a quick learner with a knack for blaming his “faulty memory” when he screws up. After all, if Phil were still alive, he’d be 75 years old today, so forgetting names and events would come naturally. Heck, for the last ten years he was still living, he’d already started doing that.”

Which begs the question, “Why do we need a Chancellor in the first place?” Over $500,000 a year is still being direct deposited into DiStefano’s bank account; plus, there’s the added expense of keeping the replacements on retainer, always ready to step in as Phil or Chip, whenever the need arises. Besides, what does a chancellor do besides sending stupid e-mails and making speeches filled with platitudes, promising changes that never come to fruition?

I think the chances of an ACC-Pac merger are very low but if it were to happen the scheduling would likely be something where the current Pac schools would only travel east once a season and vice versa for the current ACC schools. So it would be more like a loose divisional alignment where evey current ACC school would play every current Pac school twice per season, one home and one away.

One problem is that the ACC has 14 schools for football and the Pac only 10, so a scheduling format where the current ACC schools each play the current Pac schools twice per season (home and away) would present a challenge in that regard. Pac expansion if it were happen would obviously help even this imbalance out but it would still be 12 western schools compared to 14 eastern schools.

An ACC merger that included brands like Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Oregon, and Washington with Utah, and hopefully CU, would be on par with the B1G, IMO. If they convinced ND to join, I think that’s creates a roughly equal P3 (SEC is still better than both)

The question is, would this merger null the ACC GOR? I believe the number is 8 schools leaving to break the GOR and if that's the case the ACC schools you listed (plus possibly 1 or 2 others) would be highly sought after by the SEC and/or B1G. Unless all this were to happen where the back door deals would already be done with a network and they knew beforehand that the money would be on par with what the SEC and B1G are getting, in which case these schools wouldn't have much if any incentive to go to the B1G or SEC.

I think the chances of an ACC-Pac merger are very low but if it were to happen the scheduling would likely be something where the current Pac schools would only travel east once a season and vice versa for the current ACC schools. So it would be more like a loose divisional alignment where evey current ACC school would play every current Pac school twice per season, one home and one away.

One problem is that the ACC has 14 schools for football and the Pac only 10, so a scheduling format where the current ACC schools each play the current Pac schools twice per season (home and away) would present a challenge in that regard. Pac expansion if it were happen would obviously help even this imbalance out but it would still be 12 western schools compared to 14 eastern schools.
An Alliance w/o the B1G

ace ventura GIF

The question is, would this merger null the ACC GOR? I believe the number is 8 schools leaving to break the GOR and if that's the case the ACC schools you listed (plus possibly 1 or 2 others) would be highly sought after by the SEC and/or B1G. Unless all this were to happen where the back door deals would already be done with a network and they knew beforehand that the money would be on par with what the SEC and B1G are getting, in which case these schools wouldn't have much if any incentive to go to the B1G or SEC.
Right. This would obviously be contingent on none leaving for B1G or SEC

This ACC/PAC 'thing' will not happen.
ACC members are very unhappy since they all signed a horrible deal - way below market value and locked in for another decade still.

I think it's very likely that they're exploring all options while building a coalition of at least 8 members to force something.

ACC-PAC has been floated. Could be something else. But I'm sure that ACC members are not going to sit around while getting lapped.

ACC members are very unhappy since they all signed a horrible deal - way below market value and locked in for another decade still.

I think it's very likely that they're exploring all options while building a coalition of at least 8 members to force something.

ACC-PAC has been floated. Could be something else. But I'm sure that ACC members are not going to sit around while getting lapped.
I could see ESPN agreeing to break the GoR (it’s their contract with the ACC) contingent on these teams - whether it’s all 14 or just 10 - simultaneously re-upping with a new GoR w/ better financial terms in a merged conference w/ P12.

If this doesn’t happen, ACC schools and ESPN are going to get litigious and it’ll be a lose lose situation for all involved.

2 ACC members have openly stated they're unhappy. Maybe Miami is unhappy too. Assuming Miami is in too, good luck finding 5 more schools that would be willing to leave and gamble on finding a landing spot that would pay them more.

2 ACC members have openly stated they're unhappy. Maybe Miami is unhappy too. Assuming Miami is in too, good luck finding 5 more schools that would be willing to leave and gamble on finding a landing spot that would pay them more.
Right which is why they’d only agree to do it if it meant a guaranteed landing spot like a merged conference. They’re not going to jump in the realignment portal and only end up with an offer from the MAC.

For football, I think you almost have to do pods. I think you even start looking at a 10-game conference schedule.

At 20 teams, for example, you have 4 pods of 5 each. Play your 4 games every year against your pod. Then if you play 2 against each of the other pods on a rotation (2x3=6), you end up playing 10 conference games.

24 is actually what I like. That's 6 pods of 4. So 3 teams in your pod you always play then you go 1 game per year against each of the other pods for a total of 8 games. Or (and I like this better), you create divisions. With divisions, it's 3 vs your pod, 2 games against the 2 other pods in your division, and then 1 game against each pod in the other division for 10 total conference games.
Are you thinking something like this-

NW Pod: UW, UO, OSU, WSU
CA/AZ Pod: Stan, Cal, UA, ASU
No geographic sense pod: CU, Utah, Louisville, Pitt
Deep south pod: Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT
NC Pod: Duke, WF, UNC, NC State
Mid Atlantic/NE Pod: UVA, VT, Syracuse, BC

That could work. I'd play 8 conference games. Three games against your pod, and then one against one team from the other five pods. Make the top three one division and the last three pods the other. You can do a crossover game on championship Saturday.

Last edited:
For years, people at the University of Colorado at Boulder have speculated on when Chancellor Phil DiStefano might retire; the answer is “Never!” In fact, DiStefano passed away over seven years ago, but the University administration continues to function under his guidance or, more accurately, the leadership of eight DiStefano look-alikes who are hauled out for public view.

“Look,” said Provost Russell Moore, “the truth of the matter is that Phil never really did much while he was alive. Those of us in top-level positions at the University ran the place and told his speech writer what was going on. Then, the writer would provide Phil with a script for his various meetings and public appearances. Phil was excellent at reading the scripts. At one point, when Phil became sick, we found an actor to replace him, and no one noticed the difference. So, when he passed on, sitting at the desk in his office, almost eight years ago, we figured there was no need to go through the trouble and expense of finding a replacement. We just looked for more people who resembled Phil and now, with eight of them, there’s always one at the ready.”

When not standing in for Chancellor DiStefano, the eight Phils spend their time serving as Chip, the furry CU mascot. Those who serve as Phil (or Chip) undergo an intensive summer-long training session, to ensure that they will act, move, gesture, and talk the same way. They must also sign non-disclosure agreements, promising never to divulge the characters they portray.

“For the most part,” Moore added, “it has worked very well. There was that one time in 2018 when we mistakenly messed up the schedule and Phil #3 and Phil #7 appeared at different meetings on campus at the same time. Luckily, no one noticed the two Phils both walking back to the Chancellor’s office from different directions. Well, we’ve made sure nothing like that ever happens again. No two Phils are ever on campus at the same time. The only thing we have to worry about now is keeping straight who’s playing Phil and who’s playing Chip.

“The toughest part has been keeping the truth from his wife, daughters and grandchildren. We have Phil #6 on regular assignment for family matters. He leaves home every morning and comes back in the evening, so Yvonne hasn’t noticed anything is amiss. Number 6 is a real whiz at his job, a quick learner with a knack for blaming his “faulty memory” when he screws up. After all, if Phil were still alive, he’d be 75 years old today, so forgetting names and events would come naturally. Heck, for the last ten years he was still living, he’d already started doing that.”

Which begs the question, “Why do we need a Chancellor in the first place?” Over $500,000 a year is still being direct deposited into DiStefano’s bank account; plus, there’s the added expense of keeping the replacements on retainer, always ready to step in as Phil or Chip, whenever the need arises. Besides, what does a chancellor do besides sending stupid e-mails and making speeches filled with platitudes, promising changes that never come to fruition?
Snoke. Sweet.

So many moving parts have to come together perfectly for it to happen.
I'm not against it, just don't see it.
I think there's one significant issue. How can the ACC get 8 members to vote to disband without any of them fleeing to the P2.

If there's some legal way to structure a contract that binds the 8 to a new merged conference before the vote to disband, i don't know.

It's the best apparent option for the PAC 10 members. It's the best apparent option for any ACC schools not desirable to the P2.

I could see ESPN agreeing to break the GoR (it’s their contract with the ACC) contingent on these teams - whether it’s all 14 or just 10 - simultaneously re-upping with a new GoR w/ better financial terms in a merged conference w/ P12.

If this doesn’t happen, ACC schools and ESPN are going to get litigious and it’ll be a lose lose situation for all involved.
ESPN will help break the ACC GOR only so they can add FSU and Clemson to the SEC. And maybe two others.

I think there's one significant issue. How can the ACC get 8 members to vote to disband without any of them fleeing to the P2.

If there's some legal way to structure a contract that binds the 8 to a new merged conference before the vote to disband, i don't know.

It's the best apparent option for the PAC 10 members. It's the best apparent option for any ACC schools not desirable to the P2.

That's exactly what Yak and I were discussing in posts 9788 and 9791 above

That's exactly what Yak and I were discussing in posts 9788 and 9791 above
There aren’t 8 programs the SEC and B1G want, so in order to get something done, it would have to be an agreement by Clemson, FSU, etc that it’s either ACC or a merger w the Pac. Of course they aren’t going to agree to all this only to watch Clemson and FSU back out and go to the SEC.

There aren’t 8 programs the SEC and B1G want, so in order to get something done, it would have to be an agreement by Clemson, FSU, etc that it’s either ACC or a merger w the Pac. Of course they aren’t going to agree to all this only to watch Clemson and FSU back out and go to the SEC.

Right, but there's 4 or 5 programs that would be desirable by either the SEC or B1G. And yes those desirable programs would have to agree up front to join this new ACC-PAC and not one of the big P2 conferences.

If the ACC coalition is willing to do a shorter term GOR to time out with the Pac so they can all make short term bank while positioning for the next round at the same time, it works a lot better for the ACC members than their current longer and poorer deal. Works for the Pac, too, since it would increase money and stability.

Back