What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Peace. I was just fact checking because I was surprised at your assertion. You said it was nearly three times the enrollment and I did a quick Google check and see that it’s more like twice the enrollment. Didn’t realize that you were specifying undergrads (and Baylor didn’t specify when they listed “enrollment”). I’m also a bit surprised that it’s that small because I see a lot of Baylor gear here in Houston and thought it might be a bit bigger, even though I know it’s a private school.
Fair. I just never think of grad students in relation to football attendance. I don't doubt you see a lot of Baylor gear in Houston (though I'm sorry you have to live in Houston...). Baylor has a ton of alumni in Houston, and of course they've been very successful in the big sports for the past decade, so they've been picking up some non-alum fans.

MetLife seats 82,500, despite the Jets and Giants having a combined enrollment of zero - and that's grad plus undergrad. There must be something we can glean from this interesting nugget.

there is a lot wrong with your thoughts.

booster dollars from the west coast are good.

CA alums are numerous in the footprint and we travel better than you seem to think.

your fundamental argument is "well, it is better for me personally since i have the misfortune to live on the east coast and therefore **** the pac." ok. cool.

if we join the b12, we arguably become its flagship school, right out of the gate, based upon our history and academics and all the rest.

personally, i have always bought real estate in the best neighborhood i could afford, even if it meant less house. some prefer to have the nicest house on the block so they sacrifice location and neighborhood.

i am glad we have options and we should play the cards that give us the best chance of being successful. i am skeptical that the b12 gives us that unless the pac literally ceases to exist.
The only thing really "wrong" with my perspecitve is the snarky, 'what's good for me' comment. I thought snarky was what AllBuffs was all about. I just put that there to stir the pot a little. I'm better than that, I'm sorry.

However, the meltdown will be epic. Many here will be devistated at again, being associated with those lesser schools. I don't know if you know this, but when CU moved to the P12, other than the unicorns and rainbows, they removed every truck stop in Colorado. Fact.

As for the vaunted booster dollars, exactly how did result in a better football team. You mean the last 20 years could have been worse without all of that west coast support?

I really don't care if CU changes conferences; I have no emotional attachment to a conference. I hoped the move to P12 would be good, but if you **** in your left hand and hope in your right, all you have is a ****ty left hand. CU in the P12 has only resulted in ****ty hands.

Honestly, I'd just love to watch CU games sometime before midnight, with victories. In that, I'm sure we agree.

Thread churning towards page 470. War & Peace. Moby Dick. It's "The Little Engine That Could".

thomas the tank engine GIF

Of course. I'm on the Buff Team since I heard my first radio game in 1967. I've asked this before on this site: Why do I have to like the PAC 10/12 to like the Buffs?

I don't think I missed an I ❤️PAC ceremony with a bonfire, goat skulls, and a secret handshake, or did I ? And I really don't care how many Cali kids are roaming the campus up in Boulder.

Last edited:
The games I was able to attend were mostly full and loud stadiums in Seattle, Eugene and Corvallis. So you and I may have different lasting memories.

I don't think the general CFB world would be calling out those P12 fanbases you listed and nor would I be doing that. They might be doing that to ASU & UA but seeing those empty stadiums at Stanford & Cal leaves a bad impression on the CFB world. Kansas before they started winning in football again is one thing given its location & priorities towards basketball but UCLA...in the middle of LA...c'mon. Ditto for Stanford & Cal in the middle of the Bay Area. That comes after Stanford removed 35K seats from their home football stadium and Cal removed about 10-12K seats.

No one should be defending the P12 under those circumstances.

Of course. I'm on the Buff Team since I heard my first radio game in 1967. I've asked this before on this site: Why do I have to like the PAC 10/12 to like the Buffs?

I don't think I missed an I ❤️PAC ceremony with a bonfire, goat skulls, and a secret handshake, or did I ? And I really don't care how many Cali kids are roaming the campus up in Boulder.
The root for the conference thing backfired on the Buffs when that soulless, half-dead, dickhead Tom Osborne voted for Georgia Tech…

I could give a f$ck who is laughing if we get paid and win. Also do not give a f$ck which of these two lesser conferences we are in until the next round of realignment. Just win and get paid for now
The laughter is because the PAC is not getting paid. At least so far....

Went to several UCLA games last year. Busing the student body across a city like LA doesn’t help, but I feel like it’s an older fan base regardless. Last year was also plagued by a weak noncon, partly due to Michigan for backing out of their game.

Washington crowd was weak considering the matchup. Utah crowd was better and USC was a great crowd.

Still not a fan base worth defending.

I'm gonna throw my scenario out here-and this is coming from somebody who just wants this cluster**** of a media deal to end in some form or fashion. Both the outcomes are meh for right now to me.

2023-24 academic year: The only question in my mind is the fate of the Pac 12. If Kliavkoff gets a deal, the league survives at 10 for at least another decade. If not (or if the talk of CU or maybe UA getting impatient comes true), here's what I think happens:

CU/UA to the Big 12 first with ASU/UU likely to follow. Wild Card is UW/UO here-I'd have to think the B1G would throw 35-45M shares at them for a while to get them, but if that doesn't happen.......they don't have a choice but to go Big 12. WSU/OSU to the MWC, with Stanford and Cal likely trying to pull what BYU just did for a decade. Non-revenue sports to the Big West or WCC (ESPN would step in and mediate here) with Football going independent.

Next thing-The Big 10 and Big 12's deals will both come up for renewal, and my assumption is they'll renew with their current partners for another 5 years.....to get to the ACC GoR going away.

2033-34-Now the ACC schools start making moves. One thing I do believe is this-I think we see a power 3, with the 3rd conference being leftovers league. They'll have CFP access in the form that the ACC, Big 12, and Pac do now. Its champion gets in, but we all know who gets in if we have 1 loss Alabama/Penn State versus 1 loss Okie Lite or TCU. This looks like GT/UNC/UVA leading a group of schools to the Big 10, while Clemson/Miami/FSU lead another group to the SEC. The leftover league(s) will get raided in some form. If we dominate whatever league we're in under Coach Prime, we'll get picked up. If TCU continues their upward trajectory, they'll get picked up. Same thing with Okie State. This is going to be chaos.

The only thing really "wrong" with my perspecitve is the snarky, 'what's good for me' comment. I thought snarky was what AllBuffs was all about. I just put that there to stir the pot a little. I'm better than that, I'm sorry.

However, the meltdown will be epic. Many here will be devistated at again, being associated with those lesser schools. I don't know if you know this, but when CU moved to the P12, other than the unicorns and rainbows, they removed every truck stop in Colorado. Fact.

As for the vaunted booster dollars, exactly how did result in a better football team. You mean the last 20 years could have been worse without all of that west coast support?

I really don't care if CU changes conferences; I have no emotional attachment to a conference. I hoped the move to P12 would be good, but if you **** in your left hand and hope in your right, all you have is a ****ty left hand. CU in the P12 has only resulted in ****ty hands.

Honestly, I'd just love to watch CU games sometime before midnight, with victories. In that, I'm sure we agree.
the last 20 years were totally self inflicted wounds. the proof is what has happened in the months since Coach Prime was hired. folks like to talk about his appeal and magnetism and it is all true. but, take a look at the out pouring of support since the hire. as i said for years, it was about proof of life. prove that CU actually gives 2 ****s about football again and watch what happens. i have lost count of the number of 100k+ donors in the last 6 months.

we can win in any conference with the right support. if it ends up being the truck stop 12, so be it. it is a way station along the way to where we need to get to.

we are going to win, sooner rather than later, and with or without Coach Prime. it is about commitment.

i don't see us ever saying "hey let's sign up for 50 years with the b12." do you? i don't see us ever saying, "hey let's see if we can get in the sec, they seem like a good fit." do you?

there will be regionally sensible conferences/divisions down the road, comprised of the worthy and that don't have to totally sell their souls. associating with ucinn and kjuco state and the religious fanatics might be good for us short term but like i said in my neighborhood analogy-- i want to live in the same neighborhood as our peers, not a bunch of grasping wanna-be programs.

anyone else starting to think that perhaps ITB and some of our visitors are actively rooting for the demise of the pac?

i dunno. it is subtle. but, i do detect a certain nuanced pov being forwarded.

Sarcastic No Way GIF by ABC Network
Actively rooting... ?? not sure about that.
If I could have USC and UCLA remain and Colorado was about to earn over 40 million with similar tv deal I'm used to, then all aboard the PAC train.
However, I'm not hanging onto some fantasy that this is happening. It's not.
The reality is that the PAC has no tv deal, we don't know where the $ is coming from and it sure seems like visibility will shrink dramatically. Oregon and Washington are gone. Will it be this year? Next? In 4 or 5? When they are, the PAC will be on life support.
I wish I could believe CU could have a seat in the BIG10 in the future, but I think it would have to expand to 24 schools. Even then they would have to compete against Utah, ASU, Cal and Stanford.
In the meantime I want Colorado to make good $ and have good exposure.
Going to the Big12 will get them somewhere between 45 -50 million with most likely half of their games on in the middle of the day in the Eastern and Central time zones. This is what CU needs the next 5 years.

The laughter is because the PAC is not getting paid. At least so far....
We will see how it goes. None of us know how that is going to play out. Not them, not me, not you and nobody on this board at this point. It is all baseless speculation at this point. Let them laugh right now, who cares.

Actively rooting... ?? not sure about that.
If I could have USC and UCLA remain and Colorado was about to earn over 40 million with similar tv deal I'm used to, then all aboard the PAC train.
However, I'm not hanging onto some fantasy that this is happening. It's not.
The reality is that the PAC has no tv deal, we don't know where the $ is coming from and it sure seems like visibility will shrink dramatically. Oregon and Washington are gone. Will it be this year? Next? In 4 or 5? When they are, the PAC will be on life support.
I wish I could believe CU could have a seat in the BIG10 in the future, but I think it would have to expand to 24 schools. Even then they would have to compete against Utah, ASU, Cal and Stanford.
In the meantime I want Colorado to make good $ and have good exposure.
Going to the Big12 will get them somewhere between 45 -50 million with most likely half of their games on in the middle of the day in the Eastern and Central time zones. This is what CU needs the next 5 years.
The argument is simple. Do we take the money and stability (not exposure, come on) with the B12 and align with schools we don’t want to associate with now or in the future vs stay with schools we DO want to align today and tomorrow with but might stiff us down the road and leave us behind. The money will likely be the same in both places.

And Folsom seated more than 60k back when our enrollment was in the 20’s in the late 80’s and early 90’s

Filling a stadium takes way more than active enrollment. CU allows what? 12k student season tickets? Most of which are from out of state.
Folsom seating 60K ?
Umm...no.
I think 53k is the most ever.

The argument is simple. Do we take the money and stability (not exposure, come on) with the B12 and align with schools we don’t want to associate with now or in the future vs stay with schools we DO want to align today and tomorrow with but might stiff us down the road and leave us behind. The money will likely be the same in both places.
I highly believe the money will be much higher in the Big12.
Exposure as well, especially if 🍎 comes aboard.

The only Ohio State fans I know are alumni but I’m a long way from Ohio

Really weird. All the ones I know didn't go there - and they have a tattoo of the buckeye leaf on one of their calves.

But when I say I know them, I mean I really don't know them. Don't know who they really are. I've never met these people. Don't even know what they look like. And they know nothing about me. But they are a total disaster. A total disgrace.

I highly believe the money will be much higher in the Big12.
Exposure as well, especially if 🍎 comes aboard.
Not to get all Morpheus about it but those are the topics (money, exposure) that the B12 wants to side track our logic with and bait us. Both will be there in the P12. This is a battle of stability and peace of mind vs rolling the dice w/ schools that have aspirations. The same aspirations we have as well.

Turning Around GIF by Max

If the PAC goes all in with Apple, and CW does regional broadcasting for the linear coverage, exposure shrinks dramatically.
I don't see equal or better $$ from the unknown tv deal.

Not defending UCLA football fan engagement, in the best of years is it mediocre. But using "% of capacity" isn't a reasonable metric for fan engagement, it is akin to "median home price" as a metric for cost of living.
Yeah. Imagine using the cost of a home as a metric to gauge the cost of living in a community. Crazy!

Back