What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Could the ACC start to fall apart sooner than later?

If so, what schools would you legitimately want in the Big12?
Don't say Clemson or UNC cause that's not happening.

Pitt, Louisville and VA Tech would be my first choices.

NC St, Duke, Georgia Tech are ok but not necessary.

Syracuse, Boston College and Wake Forest do nothing for me.

Last edited:
Why would they owe a “big exit fee” if they leave when the next contract ends? Isn’t that exactly what CU is doing right now (and not paying the PAC anything)?
Big 12 has that 99 year agreement with a penalty of 2 years total revenue distribution as an exit fee. Estimated to be around $100m. This is separate from any kind of GOR

Surprised we haven't seen a video from Prime on all this. Maybe he’s still recovering idk. Unlike him to not step in front of the camera about this kind of news.

Big 12 has that 99 year agreement with a penalty of 2 years total revenue distribution as an exit fee. Estimated to be around $100m. This is separate from any kind of GOR
It can get negotiated down to $95M. No big deal.

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

Eek, certainly going to make it more difficult for CU to BIG when this deal ends if that’s the ultimate goal.

I must say that i'm saddened the Pac12 didn't work out. Culturally it was a much better fit, and much more enjoyable and convenient for roadtrips. Losing U$C and UCLA was the death of that conference. I remember being really stoked for the P12 when we left. The Big12 w/o Texas, A&M, OU, Nebraska, does literally nothing for me. Don't get me wrong, Lincoln was and is a **** hole but... Back to Ames, Lawrence, Manhattan, Stillwater, Lubbock...But now we get to add Provo...Waco, Orlando (whoopty ****ing DW!) the nati, Houston....Morgantown...not places you would intentionally go to...

Last edited:

Could the ACC start to fall apart sooner than later?

If so, what schools would you legitimately want in the Big12?
Don't say Clemson or UNC cause that's not happening.

Pitt, Louisville and VA Tech would be my first choices.

NC St, Duke, Georgia Tech are ok but not necessary.

Syracuse, Boston College and Wake Forest do nothing for me.
Duke and Georgia Tech, that is easy

Duke Basketball and settling the score on the 1990 Natty with the Tech people every freaking year

To make things interesting the Big 12 really should go get Notre Dame. Then we could have holy wars between the The Baptist School vs the Catholic School vs the LDS School vs the Protestant school... Of course, we can still look forward to the battle of the Sister-Cousin school (WV) vs the Sister-Wive school (BYU)

Are we sure this will apply to CU or other PAC schools? I could see them enforcing this on G5’s moving up, but ESPN and Fox probably want to move some teams around in 2030

I am to say. If the conference had 16 teams with UT and OU, the TV contract would be much higher.... and the buyout to leave would be much bigger.

There is no way that the TV contract is an issue if you have UCLA, USC, UT, and OU.... thus no one leaves.
Or without them the conference could have tried a dose of trying for ‘not sucking’ for a decade. Instead they sucked and sucked badly for 80% of the conference. IM sure Utah was behind it. Not those pie in the sky harvard mini schools.

Y’all doubted me. Based on the poll numbers on another thread, the Baylor hate is real. Look forward to it. Hope y’all beat the horned frogs this year.
Oh I remember verrrry clearly how this started...and the real concern at the time that Ken Starr was going to get Baylor and the other Texas schools to the Pac 12 at the expense of leaving CU stuck with like iowa state and kansas.

I must say that i'm saddened the Pac12 didn't work out. Culturally it was a much better fit, and much more enjoyable and convenient for roadtrips. Losing U$C and UCLA was the death of that conference. I remember being really stoked for the P12 when we left. The Big12 w/o Texas, A&M, OU, Nebraska, does literally nothing for me. Don't get me wrong, Lincoln was and is a **** hole but... Back to Ames, Lawrence, Manhattan, Stillwater, Lubbock...But now we get to add Provo...Waco, Orlando (whoopty ****ing DW!) the nati, Houston....Morgantown...not places you would intentionally go to...

I was kind of coming around to the idea. But when you put it that way...

To make things interesting the Big 12 really should go get Notre Dame. Then we could have holy wars between the The Baptist School vs the Catholic School vs the LDS School vs the Protestant school... Of course, we can still look forward to the battle of the Sister-Cousin school (WV) vs the Sister-Wive school (BYU)

Don't forget Yeshiva U!

This move to the Big 12 is indeed bittersweet.

Being in the PAC was soul sucking due to that apathy from the Bay Area schools and this is from someone who grew up with the Big 8 especially CU & OU. Apathy is an alien concept for any Big 8 school.

I still hope UA, ASU, UO, OSU, UW, WSU, and UU end up in better conference homes while the CA schools can burn in hell.

I am not 100% happy with the move back to a different Big 12 but I am relieved to be back in a conference that is viewed as more caring towards athletics. I know we have our differences of opinions over how to view Baylor but I still want to see CU beat Baylor up.

I don't disagree that this move is bittersweet but it's good to be home!

But again, the money involved in the B1G won’t make it prohibitive and will likely break even within 3-4 years of leaving.
I probably missed it, but are we assuming CU had to sign up for that 99 year agreement with this move (and any other schools added would as well)? If the end game for CU is trying to position ourselves for a P2 move if the option is there at the end of this media rights term, that is going to make it a hell of a lot tougher. It’s still a huge chunk of change to come up with and amortized over the term of the Big12 deal that’s like $14M per year. So we must feel really positive that the value to CU being in the Big12 compared to the PAC (media deal, exposure, recruiting, time zones, etc.) is significantly more valuable than $14M per season better.

If this were to happen, the big 12 becomes a much more interesting conference.

It makes me wonder if they could develop the big 12 brand to a point where they are competitive with the Big Ten from a viewership standpoint, and consequently become a much more valuable conference in the next round of TV negotiations.

It would absolutely require that UW, Oregon, CU, UCF, Okie lite, and TCU reach their full potential and are competing for CFP spots. If that were to happen, it might be a very intriguing conference and not just a stepping stone to the BIg Ten.

Let’s not forget. The big 12 is a WORSE conference that just so happened that random timing allowed it to go to rights 1 year early.

The big 12 will implode at the drop of a hat. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Our foray into the Pac 12 is over. During our time there Colorado continued its mismanagement of the football program that had been set in motion 10 years prior. From the President to the AD, CU failed to prioritize the program. We failed to leave the 20th Century when successful programs moved into the 21st.

Coupled with our mismanagement of the program, we followed the total mismanagement of the Pac 12 who put its faith in a flim flam man named Larry Scott whose success as Pac 12 Commissioner was even worse than his 1-19 singles record as a professional tennis player. Perhaps it was Scott’s grandiose promises that attracted us to the Pac 12 in the first place. At least that coupled with CU’s pompous desire to rub elbows with the wine and cheese crowd.

Back