What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

This helps explain why the UW BOR decided to meet tonight

I saw one tweet from either MHver or that Big12Insider guy from WV that UW stopped talking to the B12. Either that means UW is staying in the PAC or they have a golden B1G ticket.

Saw this posted as a scenario if the ACC breaks. Pretty realistic based on where SEC & B1G interest lies.

Big 12 (20) with 4 scheduling pods of 5 teams each. I could live with this or something like it.

View attachment 62663
If Disney’s lawyers didn’t write an agreement requiring schools to be on the hook for theTV deal, I’d be shocked. Unclear how they can just dissolve and not have to pay the bill.

If Disney’s lawyers didn’t write an agreement requiring schools to be on the hook for theTV deal, I’d be shocked. Unclear how they can just dissolve and not have to pay the bill.
Maybe ESPN looks at it as them getting out of a long-term financial liability (even though it's an excellent deal for ESPN). Might they rather move the best 4 assets into the SEC, lose some to B1G/Fox, and park the remaining which have broadcast value in the Big 12?

I think that actually costs them less money than paying every ACC member $30M while having to support ACCN?

The base rate per team in the B1G is a reported $70 million. I find it a stretch that the media partners would consider the addition of ORWA to be worth $140 million annually, but hey I could be wrong. Oregon and Washington are good brands.

Adding ORWA plus Stanford and Cal at $280 million annually? Ha. Even at 1/2 shares, adding the Bay Area schools adds little to recoup that investment.

I also find it funny that the Oregon and Washington boards over at 247 each have an “insider” claiming that the other school is going to be left out of the B1G expansion.

Maybe ESPN looks at it as them getting out of a long-term financial liability (even though it's an excellent deal for ESPN). Might they rather move the best 4 assets into the SEC, lose some to B1G/Fox, and park the remaining which have broadcast value in the Big 12?

I think that actually costs them less money than paying every ACC member $30M while having to support ACCN?
Except they would end up paying them a boat load more without the same ROI in the other conferences. I’ve never seen Disney give up leverage in a dispute with signed contracts.

Thanks. First place I have seen that has a possible answer for how the B1G can pull spare change out of its pockets and couch cushions which could equal out to a partial share for a couple more teams.
Depending on the contracts it could be something the existing schools won't agree to whether too much streaming or scheduling/travel issues. TBD

The base rate per team in the B1G is a reported $70 million. I find it a stretch that the media partners would consider the addition of ORWA to be worth $140 million annually, but hey I could be wrong. Oregon and Washington are good brands.

Adding ORWA plus Stanford and Cal at $280 million annually? Ha. Even at 1/2 shares, adding the Bay Area schools adds little to recoup that investment.

I also find it funny that the Oregon and Washington boards over at 247 each have an “insider” claiming that the other school is going to be left out of the B1G expansion.
This. Even imagining half shares, that's $140M. The offer from Apple was supposedly something like $200M (CU included), and the TV partners for the B1G didn't even submit a bid.

I really don't understand the math if the B1G partners would rather have the 4 you list at $140M rather than a 10 team Pac12 at (let's say) $220M.

I’ve been saying it for a bit now but I don’t think further expansion is necessarily about adding equal per program value. Half to two thirds of the B1G schools don’t actually create $70m of value on their own but the networks have to pay for the package that is the B1G football conference.

Well, that package now might include Oregon and Washington (maybe Stanford and Cal), which need to eventually be on equal financial footing in order for the package to actually be as valuable. So they’ll do half shares and work their way up over the contract, but the overall B1G football package/product is stronger.

IMO, this is the concept of the way CFB is going to continue evolving. It’s about the entire package and product and in order to maximize viewership and keep the entire country involved, it will eventually lead to more schools being included.

Back