What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

We've been that since Mac retired. The school doesn't want to do what it takes to be first class, at least not on a regular basis. It’s all been talk for at least 20 years.
Thanks to our past success in the big 8 and then 2001 in Big 12, we got into the PAC 12. We didn’t really earn a P5 spot based on recent performance. It’s now time for coach prime to elevate us and brings us new success. He’s going to turn us into a real football program again.

whatever, I’m not the one still bitching about something that happened well over a week ago and is a done deal?

Rutgers? Northwestern? Location mattered once upon a time. It's not going to be a major factor if/when these conferences (the networks) decide to trim the fat.
Once it doesn't matter (in-market carriage rates for BTN), they'll adjust and adapt. But I don't think we can look at the success of the B1G since it decided to expand from 11 members and say, "wow did they fvck that up." And that seems to be the hill you're on.

I'm not saying that CU didn't handle it well. RG did great, bringing his career record to 2-5,478,346 and for that he should be commended. But I don't get the people celebrating this. This sucks overall - not only for CU but all of college sports. But I think there are some people on here who'd rather be "right" than have their school be successful. So yay?

I think there’s a lot of truth to this.

Once it doesn't matter (in-market carriage rates for BTN), they'll adjust and adapt. But I don't think we can look at the success of the B1G since it decided to expand from 11 members and say, "wow did they fvck that up." And that seems to be the hill you're on.
Oh no, I believe they made the right decisions based on the revenue model at the time. My entire point in responding to you about Maryland is that the reasons you listed are why they were added years ago, not why the networks would want to keep them in 2030 and beyond.

I think there are 5-6 programs in the B1G that FOX, NBC and CBS couldn't give two ****s about and would rather not be paying $70m/year for, just like there are 2-3 in the SEC that ESPN doesn't care about. The networks are clearly running CFB now, and if FOX and ESPN want to remain in the live CFB business, I don't see how there aren't directives to drop many of these programs and replace them with better brands.

FWIW...
This from a TCU 'insider' who called CU to the Big12 the Sunday before they left.

Just saw the number offered to ASU and Utah $25MM and a three year ramp to full shares. No funds for brand changes or travel offsets. Full share of post-season and tourney $.

Working to see if they have been given a hard deadline. I can 100% assure you if they miss it, they're out. Yormark isn't messing around.

Because CU has officially accepted second class citizenship in college football. Signed, sealed and delivered.

This isn't about what they could have done different. It is about the fact CU's fate is sealed. B12 will eventually be third in a two horse race. Maybe CU couldn't have done anything better, doesn't mean it is any more palatable.

Maybe this would have ended differently if they had decided to care about football and demonstrated live more than 8 months ago. We still have a lot to prove, which I think we will but as of now, this was as good as it gets with us being a 1-11 loser last year and for the last 20 plus years. Not a bad outcome considering in all honesty.

FWIW...
This from a TCU 'insider' who called CU to the Big12 the Sunday before they left.

Just saw the number offered to ASU and Utah $25MM and a three year ramp to full shares. No funds for brand changes or travel offsets. Full share of post-season and tourney $.

Working to see if they have been given a hard deadline. I can 100% assure you if they miss it, they're out. Yormark isn't messing around.
If accurate. Awesome. Get ****ed Utah.

Oh no, I believe they made the right decisions based on the revenue model at the time. My entire point in responding to you about Maryland is that the reasons you listed are why they were added years ago, not why the networks would want to keep them in 2030 and beyond.

I think there are 5-6 programs in the B1G that FOX, NBC and CBS couldn't give two ****s about and would rather not be paying $70m/year for, just like there are 2-3 in the SEC that ESPN doesn't care about. The networks are clearly running CFB now, and if FOX and ESPN want to remain in the live CFB business, I don't see how there aren't directives to drop many of these programs and replace them with better brands.

What do you think is the end game? Do the SEC and B1G survive as conferences or do the big schools just go and do their own thing outside the NCAA and current conference structure? And how man schools do you see being on that boat?

Maybe this would have ended differently if they had decided to care about football and demonstrated live more than 8 months ago. We still have a lot to prove, which I think we will but as of now, this was as good as it gets with us being a 1-11 loser last year and for the last 20 plus years. Not a bad outcome considering in all honesty.

I do not disagree. This has been 22 years in the making and I'm just sad that this day is finally here.

What is so funny Big Jim ?
Yormark is doing his due diligence and should. ASU and Utah don't have many choices.

I think the eventual media revenue model will be what the Pac-10 was just presented:

1. Lower base rate than the schools are used to.

2. Escalator for subscription milestones.

3. Unequal sharing based on who gets selected for prime tile slots, gets ratings and advances to/through post-season.

Prime and the conference move are our last chance. This is our last stand. I think the plan is to position ourselves for an invite to the SEC/B1G (assuming they survive) or super league when the wheels start spinning again in a few years when we see the next round of TV contract negotiations.

I'm not saying that CU didn't handle it well. RG did great, bringing his career record to 2-5,478,346 and for that he should be commended. But I don't get the people celebrating this. This sucks overall - not only for CU but all of college sports. But I think there are some people on here who'd rather be "right" than have their school be successful. So yay?
I'm going to agree and disagree with you-Realignment has been a disaster for college sports. I mean think back to the 2010-11 moves-

CU-back in the conference it left less than 15 years later.
Utah-move to Pac was successful on the field. Where do they go now? Can't take them having to go back to the MWC off the table.
Nubs-raking in the cash, but they also own the longest bowl drought in the power 5.
Missouri-They won the SEC East twice (I think) but have been average to below average every year since.
A&M-left one conference to get away from big brother, only to be joined by big brother and one of his friends less than 15 years later.

Here's where I differ from you-The Pac 12 has nobody to blame but itself for its dissolution. Jake Dickert and Pac 12 shills like equitybruin on twitter whining about this is hypocritical to me when Larry Scott effectively started it with the Pac 16 push in 2009-10. After he couldn't get that done, it was one mind-numbingly stupid decision after another by LS and GK after he took over. We've talked about this ad nauseaum on here-@buffnik had a great post not too long addressing some of the conference's biggest blunders in the context of Jon Wilner.

TV money isn't responsible for the death of the Pac 12. The Pac 12's ridiculous level of incompetence killed the Pac 12. Good riddance.

I think the eventual media revenue model will be what the Pac-10 was just presented:

1. Lower base rate than the schools are used to.

2. Escalator for subscription milestones.

3. Unequal sharing based on who gets selected for prime tile slots, gets ratings and advances to/through post-season.

3. is definitely on the horizon as one of the next steps the big schools will want to take.

What do you think is the end game? Do the SEC and B1G survive as conferences or do the big schools just go and do their own thing outside the NCAA and current conference structure? And how man schools do you see being on that boat?

The SEC and B10 are going to be the sole P2 conferences, possibly/probably breaking away from all others for governance and duopoly economics. They may well be at their zenith right now for economics as streaming is less lucrative for everyone.

The NFL is who benefits the most from all of this. They will continue to eat up the sports broadcast dollars all the while continuing to allow college football to be their minor league at no cost to the NFL.

charlie murphy fuck yo couch GIF

Back