What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

November 2009 is when it was confirmed, i.e. not firing Hawkins. Building the Champions Center then keeping status quo after cemented it.
I remember Big Al on the pregame when it was announced they were keeping DII Danny. I believe the quote was: "Ahh no man, are you kidding me?". That pertty much sums it up.

Once it doesn't matter (in-market carriage rates for BTN), they'll adjust and adapt. But I don't think we can look at the success of the B1G since it decided to expand from 11 members and say, "wow did they fvck that up." And that seems to be the hill you're on.
Yep, once its a subscription model based on brand value we'll see whether some of the lower tier B1G schools seats start getting warm.

CU reaction sitting with full Big12 share while ASU/UU are offered less:

amused jaw drop GIF

That is irrelevant to the original question. It doesn't make it suck any less being a second class citizen because you had no other options. Ask any minority if they gladly accept second class citizenship because well, they had no other options.
I don’t follow. You were upset that we’ve “accepted” a permanent spot in the second tier. I’d like to know what we should have done to avoid accepting that fate.

What do you think is the end game? Do the SEC and B1G survive as conferences or do the big schools just go and do their own thing outside the NCAA and current conference structure? And how man schools do you see being on that boat?
I think at some point the B1G and SEC will merge. They will realize the money to be had as one league is greater than the $1B/year their conferences are getting now and it will motivate them to make it all work.

Excluding Oregon and Washington, The B1G and SEC are getting $2B/year (roughly) combined for 32 teams with equal payouts. Increase those payouts in 7 years to $100m/school and go to 24 teams each and it's still "only" at $4.8B/year total or less than half what the NFL is doing ($11B/year). They could go to 64 total teams (32 each) at $100m/year for every school and they would still "only" be at a fraction of the NFL's media deal.

However, the only way they are going to be able to accomplish something like that is if the leagues themselves decide to take the power back from the Networks a bit. They should merge, establish equal scheduling, rules, a CBA, etc and then they should take their media rights to the open market just like the NFL does.

This makes me happy.
me too. But isn’t it also stupid of the big 12 to not just welcome in ASU and the Utes? They get the BYU-UU rivalry and ASU-AU too and a big chunk of the western market by doing so. It’s not like the big 12 is the SEC where everybody wants to join.

me too. But isn’t it also stupid of the big 12 to not just welcome in ASU and the Utes? They get the BYU-UU rivalry and ASU-AU too and a big chunk of the western market by doing so. It’s not like the big 12 is the SEC where everybody wants to join.
Big12 already has the Arizona market and the Salt Lake City market.

Making Utah and ASU sweat after they made it very well known they thought the Big12 was beneath them... Well that makes me feel good.

Rutgers? Northwestern? Location mattered once upon a time. It's not going to be a major factor if/when these conferences (the networks) decide to trim the fat.
The process of trimming the fat might be the next step in this saga. I have absolutely no idea how that gets pulled off. How do you tell Vanderbilt, a founding member of the SEC, to go kick rocks? Northwestern? Purdue? In the end, I really don’t know that trimming the fat is even that much of a priority. They (both the networks and the elite of CFB) need body bag games. Those schools can happily accept their massive checks from football and go off to field some really strong teams in other sports.

I think at some point the B1G and SEC will merge. They will realize the money to be had as one league is greater than the $1B/year their conferences are getting now and it will motivate them to make it all work.

Excluding Oregon and Washington, The B1G and SEC are getting $2B/year (roughly) combined for 32 teams with equal payouts. Increase those payouts in 7 years to $100m/school and go to 24 teams each and it's still "only" at $4.8B/year total or less than half what the NFL is doing ($11B/year). They could go to 64 total teams (32 each) at $100m/year for every school and they would still "only" be at a fraction of the NFL's media deal.

However, the only way they are going to be able to accomplish something like that is if the leagues themselves decide to take the power back from the Networks a bit. They should merge, establish equal scheduling, rules, a CBA, etc and then they should take their media rights to the open market just like the NFL does.

Do you see them going to that many teams when you’re already talking about the conferences trimming the fat right now?

We've been that since Mac retired. The school doesn't want to do what it takes to be first class, at least not on a regular basis. Its all been talk for at least 20 years.
This x 1000! Jim is acting like we just suddenly became a second class citizen. We just improved our position for the first time in 2 decades. With the exception of one season, we have been on a steady path towards FCS-level footbal.

3. is definitely on the horizon as one of the next steps the big schools will want to take.

That's going to be like giving the team that just won the Super Bowl the first pick in the Draft every year. Just do a Super League already where the top 12 teams, anointed as worthy, complete for the ESPN/FOX/AT&T/APPLE/VERIZON National Championship. Everyone else can just play for funzies.

Honestly once the ACC is gone and the fat is trimmed…. REAL CFB will live in that 2nd tier. The top tier will be cosplaying NFL while that second tier will feel much more like the game we all love imo
If that’s the case, then I’m perfectly happy being in that second tier.

Well, to get to 20 i would be good with

VTech
Pitt
Louisville
NC State

I would have very easy access to 3 stadiums then to watch CU.
You forgot Miami. I think they might be on the outside looking in. They don’t really seem to fit the sec and sure don’t fit the BIG. It could be a potential pickup?

The process of trimming the fat might be the next step in this saga. I have absolutely no idea how that gets pulled off. How do you tell Vanderbilt, a founding member of the SEC, to go kick rocks? Northwestern? Purdue? In the end, I really don’t know that trimming the fat is even that much of a priority. They (both the networks and the elite of CFB) need body bag games. Those schools can happily accept their massive checks from football and go off to field some really strong teams in other sports.

The Georgias and Alabamas will tell the Vanderbilts that they contribute significantly more to the conference and hence want a bigger piece of the pie. While Georgia and Vanderbilt currently get 140m-ish combined with each team receiving 70m they’ll go and propose something like splitting that up 110-30 or so.

Back