What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

This is interesting.... the remaining 4 teams may have a large payout if they stand still for a year. Man, this HAS to go to litigation- or at least a settlement. Lots of work for lawyers. I have to get my hat thrown into the ring!

Payout????

Canzano doesn't seem very smart. I assume that the "additional costs and damages" are those that are incurred while the contract exists--this season. What additional costs will those 4 teams incur this season?

Could have easily been CU had they not hired CP.
Totally agreed. Didn’t it seem for a while last year that CU was not going to make a coaching change and give one more year in ‘23? We would have been in the “Pac West” with CSU without getting coach Prime. He’s completely turned things around for us before he even coaches the 1st game. Haven’t felt this much enthusiasm in a fall camp since the early 2000’s.

I don’t understand people who are finding joy in what’s happening to Stanford, Cal, WSU and OSU
I totally agree with this sentiment on OSU & WSU.

However, I was checking in on Cal & Stanford fan messaging last night and I'm thinking that if anyone deserves to get relegated it is them. The general community consensus is that they don't get how universities with their global prestige and history could be left behind (but they think they get why OSU/WSU did). They also seriously look down on pretty much every potential Pac expansion candidate. In short, they think that athletic conference is mostly about academic status, research intensity, and how prestigious these factors make a university. They still don't get that this is entirely about how many eyeballs your football team causes to be glued to ESPN or Fox.

It's this attitude by Cal & Stanford which permeated the Pac-12 and led to its arrogance - causing a dozen years of terrible business decisions. Fvck Cal and fvck Stanford.

However, I was checking in on Cal & Stanford fan messaging last night and I'm thinking that if anyone deserves to get relegated it is them. The general community consensus is that they don't get how universities with their global prestige and history could be left behind (but they think they get why OSU/WSU did). They also seriously look down on pretty much every potential Pac expansion candidate. In short, they think that athletic conference is mostly about academic status, research intensity, and how prestigious these factors make a university. They still don't get that this is entirely about how many eyeballs your football team causes to be glued to ESPN or Fox.

It's this attitude by Cal & Stanford which permeated the Pac-12 and led to its arrogance - causing a dozen years of terrible business decisions. Fvck Cal and fvck Stanford.
Wow. I'm glad there aren't any folks on Allbuffs who think that !

Also - the Big 12 model (by necessity) is going to create a much better product than the B1G. I think the SEC has continued to embraced rivalry with its approach (even though it didn't tie Mizzou to Arkansas & aTm to LSU like it should have with the way it handled its last expansion.)

Sunday Ticket had like 2.5m subscribers FWIW

This is what I figured when statements from CU & RG were focused entirely on the streaming distribution. They weren't saying the potential revenue didn't work. The concern was that hardly anyone outside the Pac-12 footprint and existing fan base - which no longer includes Los Angeles - would see the Buffs play. They thought that this level of commitment to streaming at this time was a very similar bet to the one the conference lost with the bets it made and lost on its PACN model, Fox Australia and Alibaba strategies.

Also - the Big 12 model (by necessity) is going to create a much better product than the B1G. I think the SEC has continued to embraced rivalry with its approach (even though it didn't tie Mizzou to Arkansas & aTm to LSU like it should have with the way it handled its last expansion.)

I’ll give this the nod for second best stadium entrance. Would love for to CU to travel to Blacksburg

I definitely agree that OSU and WSU are getting absolutely unjustly decimated and it really bugs me. Cal and Stanford are different situations. I don’t like what happened to the PAC 12 at all, but I‘m not losing sleep if the fallout impacts Cal and Stanford negatively.

I sure wish that @liverflukes would drop by. Would love to get his perspective on all of this.

Could have easily been CU had they not hired CP.
I said the same thing above and it looks like Alabaster Yak's link to a copy of a tweet was pulled because the logos were used.... that tweet copy would have included our beloved CU trademark if we didn't hire CP.

We owe CP a level of grattitude unlike any other.

Yeah...that's the NFL. The king of American sports. Wonder how many of those subscribers were bars and restaurants? No way Apple was going to get over 1.7 million for PAC content.

I think that’d solely depend on the pricing. If priced really aggressively I could’ve seen it for the fall period at least.

idk what to make of that Sunday Ticket number, 2.5M is shockingly low. Then again, I've never paid for it as DTV just gave it to me for the last few years

I feel bad for any Cal/Furd fans that did want expansion and didn't see themselves as elitist douchers, but idk how many of those there are. It shocks me they still were against expansion even after USC/UCLA dipped. And I definitely feel bad for OSU/Wazzu as they aren't really bad programs, Wazzu especially, but they're stuck on an island and nobody seemingly wants them.

Sounds like VT graduates some smart people.
Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

Canzano doesn't seem very smart. I assume that the "additional costs and damages" are those that are incurred while the contract exists--this season. What additional costs will those 4 teams incur this season?
I have re-read that article and he does seem to not understand that this all has to play out for the damages to happen. Right now, there shouldn't be any measurable damages but clearly their will be should the 4 schools be left behind. The recruiting will suffer tremendously but that won't really be quantifiable until down the road.

The more I think about these ramifications the more I think this situation totally sucks.

There is a mix of business, capitalism, state, government, and sport that is so intertwined that is too messy now to have an amicable solution.

On one end, you have Stanford- that wants to have academic students playing football and the other extreme is Alabama/ Georgia wanting football as a business that uses the academic resources.

Right now, no one wants a win win.

as CP describes it.... "Everyone chasing the bag."

I am really leaning toward some regulation here that the athletes get paid a substantial sum. Not quite sure how that will happen though. I just know that Manchin and Tuberville are NOT the solution.

The Apple deal is (or was) not terrible, albeit 100% streaming. If it had been socialized among the members many months ago, perhaps it could’ve worked with a heavy marketing plan to gain subscribers. Maybe not, but the delay tactic from Kliavkoff was ill conceived.

Speaking of Kliavkoff, the interesting thing in the Athletic article by Mandel was the fact that Kliavkoff hired his old law school buddy at a boutique media firm to aid negotiations. Yormark and the Big 12 hired major national media companies with serious connections.

As for CU, once the PAC lost the SoCal toehold, the link to the alumni base was largely severed. As was pointed out by many people on this board and elsewhere, the PAC became inherently unstable because everyone knew ORWA would eventually bolt.

PAC screwup timeline:

2010 Hiring Larry Scott, location of HQ and championship game
2011 Failing to expand with Texas and Oklahoma
2018 Rejecting offer by ESPN to take over pac 12 network and partner
2021 Failing to expand with Big 12 options
2021 Failing to understand that USC felt it was being underpaid for its contribution to the league (it was well-known USC was unhappy)
2022 Hiring Kliavkoff, allowing him to use nepotism to hiring law school buddy as media consultant
2022 Failing to expand again
2022 Allowing Big 12 to jump the line with its media deal (from my source, ESPN absolutely hated dealing with the PAC as “not rational”)
2023 Employing B.S. line that the “longer we wait, the better the deal will be”. Just socialize the damn streaming deals.
2023 Failing to expand with SDSU before buyout went up

By delaying all of this to the eleventh hour, the situation for Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU was actually made much worse.

idk what to make of that Sunday Ticket number, 2.5M is shockingly low. Then again, I've never paid for it as DTV just gave it to me for the last few years

I feel bad for any Cal/Furd fans that did want expansion and didn't see themselves as elitist douchers, but idk how many of those there are. It shocks me they still were against expansion even after USC/UCLA dipped. And I definitely feel bad for OSU/Wazzu as they aren't really bad programs, Wazzu especially, but they're stuck on an island and nobody seemingly wants them.
Cal signed its death notice when it decided that JUCOs like Aaron Rodgers and Oaktowners like Marshawn Lynch brought down the prestige of the university. They particularly did not want to see their stadium filled with those Oakland types.

I don’t understand people who are finding joy in what’s happening to Stanford, Cal, WSU and OSU
I really hate what has happened to orst and wash st but could care less about furd and cal! They dug their own grave. Their attendance was awful and their high and mighty leadership contributed to this mess along w usc.

Back