What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

On the opening shot of the mountains, they seemed to have a drone about 40 years before there were drones.
I think I have that part figured out.
Helicopter Savannah GIF by For 91 Days

I'm afraid that is going to be what actually happens.

That means either the PAC-MWC merger happens or the AAC adds those two and then raids the MWC.
I'm actually more inclined to believe that ESPN is going to work something out with the Big 12 to add OSU and WSU at reduced shares. They'll get their late night content they don't currently have (I know they'll get some of it with Cal and Stanford in the ACC, but it's not enough) and it will ensure that no current P5 program get's left behind.

Probably the best scenario, IMO

Also, Cal and Stanford are really going to force 5-6 hour flights + 3 hour time change for 5/6 away games, along with all their MBB/WBB and non revenue sports even more often.

I'm actually more inclined to believe that ESPN is going to work something out with the Big 12 to add OSU and WSU at reduced shares. They'll get their late night content they don't currently have (I know they'll get some of it with Cal and Stanford in the ACC, but it's not enough) and it will ensure that no current P5 program get's left behind.

I’m looking forward to all of the people who screamed about how we had to go to the B12 because “no one watches late night games” justify this.

Wild scenario that would kind of suck for the Big 12, tbh...

What if ESPN decides to go all in with ACC as well by bringing in Stanford and Cal at reduced payouts and offering unequal rev share to Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC to keep them happy, but also adding Notre Dame as a full time member? NBC gets all ND home games and ESPN gets all their away games. It allows NBC to only pay ND half of what they are likely going to pay them, while ESPN can pick up the other half of the bill.

Feels far fetched, but I think ESPN has a heavy vested interest in keeping the ACC together and happy and by adding Stanford, Cal and Notre Dame, I think they become the clear #3 conference.

I’m looking forward to all of the people who screamed about how we had to go to the B12 because “no one watches late night games” justify this.
It's great to be able to fill late night media slots.

It's horrible if those are the only slots the networks have an interest in your conference for broadcasting.

OSU & WSU in the Big 12 would be great from a PR standpoint. The reason why I am skeptical that happens is because the US Congress hasn't done jack on NIL and I don't think they would be bothered if OSU & WSU was "relegated" as long as OSU & WSU continued to get their research money they usually get. If OSU & WSU's conference affiliation leads to a dramatic impact on research funding for those two, they might be more inclined to act but will they act? I'm skeptical on that.

If you don't think state legislatures are willing to act on the behalf of athletic departments, I can point you to Wyoming where the WY legislature has funded athletic capital projects with state money. State bailouts of those two ADs could be possible and they can study how Idaho handled the drop from FBS to FCS. The fall from P5 to G5 will be worse than from FBS to FCS because at that time, Idaho already rejoined the Big Sky about a few years before the FBS to FCS drop occurred.

OSU HC Jonathan Smith is going to be one of those hot candidates for this year's coaching carousel and WSU's HC could be too. OSU has a monster season, a school could buy out Smith's contract at OSU which could be in the $30M range and that will help the bottom line significantly. The reason why they would all go is because they could lose a lot of players to the portal after the conclusion of this upcoming football season.

Also, Cal and Stanford are really going to force 5-6 hour flights + 3 hour time change for 5/6 away games, along with all their MBB/WBB and non revenue sports even more often.

Hawaii had their football ops in Las Vegas during the peak of COVID-19 and I don't know if they are still doing that but there are definitely options to mitigate all that travel to the extent possible.

And who really is that concerned about college athletes these days?

OSU & WSU in the Big 12 would be great from a PR standpoint. The reason why I am skeptical that happens is because the US Congress hasn't done jack on NIL and I don't think they would be bothered if OSU & WSU was "relegated" as long as OSU & WSU continued to get their research money they usually get. If OSU & WSU's conference affiliation leads to a dramatic impact on research funding for those two, they might be more inclined to act but will they act? I'm skeptical on that.

If you don't think state legislatures are willing to act on the behalf of athletic departments, I can point you to Wyoming where the WY legislature has funded athletic capital projects with state money. State bailouts of those two ADs could be possible and they can study how Idaho handled the drop from FBS to FCS. The fall from P5 to G5 will be worse than from FBS to FCS because at that time, Idaho already rejoined the Big Sky about a few years before the FBS to FCS drop occurred.

OSU HC Jonathan Smith is going to be one of those hot candidates for this year's coaching carousel and WSU's HC could be too. OSU has a monster season, a school could buy out Smith's contract at OSU which could be in the $30M range and that will help the bottom line significantly. The reason why they would all go is because they could lose a lot of players to the portal after the conclusion of this upcoming football season.
I feel bad for OSU & WSU.

But if we step back for a moment and ask ourselves who we would bet on in the west to achieve the most success over time while doing the most for the conference via the footprint it brings - would we really take OSU/WSU over SDSU/FSU? I don't think we would. And I also don't think that SDSU/FSU are good adds at this time.

Wide World of Sports was one of the best shows ever. I may not watch 2-3 hours of a lot of sports on the regular, but when you package them as alternating feature events, they get much more interesting to me.
I loved WWS as a kid.

I feel bad for OSU & WSU.

But if we step back for a moment and ask ourselves who we would bet on in the west to achieve the most success over time while doing the most for the conference via the footprint it brings - would we really take OSU/WSU over SDSU/FSU? I don't think we would. And I also don't think that SDSU/FSU are good adds at this time.

It's great to be able to fill late night media slots.

It's horrible if those are the only slots the networks have an interest in your conference for broadcasting.

This is a great point. Any P12 conference game could be an evening start. Depending on the schedule, most of our B12 away games will noot be eligible for those slots.

Wild scenario that would kind of suck for the Big 12, tbh...

What if ESPN decides to go all in with ACC as well by bringing in Stanford and Cal at reduced payouts and offering unequal rev share to Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC to keep them happy, but also adding Notre Dame as a full time member? NBC gets all ND home games and ESPN gets all their away games. It allows NBC to only pay ND half of what they are likely going to pay them, while ESPN can pick up the other half of the bill.

Feels far fetched, but I think ESPN has a heavy vested interest in keeping the ACC together and happy and by adding Stanford, Cal and Notre Dame, I think they become the clear #3 conference.
ND is not joining the ACC anytime soon. ESPN has no cards to play to force ND into a conference, any conference, as long as they have access to the playoffs.

Big 10 (22) UNC, Duke, Virginia, Miami. [GTech if ND says no, then add Stanford...total of 24)
SEC (18) - FSU, Clemson
BigXII (20) - NCState, Lou, Pitt, VTech

My ACC explosion scenario. (So far).

Similarly, I pay for about 20 channels dedicated to subject matter for which I used to get all I needed of in 1-3 shows that aired on PBS. Predictably, these networks are all struggling with 24 hours of their programming models and are all increasingly airing reality tv idiocy instead.

Production and talent costs aren't justified by revenues due to the number of stations & apps.
This X 1000.

I don't watch "entertainment" TV. Don't watch sitcoms, don't watch TV movies, don't watch drama series, and definitely don't watch game shows and reality shows or the combination of the two.

I do watch sports, news, nature, travel, and history.

To your point there is very little of any quality of the last three anymore, and the best of what there is is still on PBS where it has always been.

No offense to Washington State, but as a CU fan would rather have SDSU and Oregon St if there was a choice.
San Diego would help recruiting.

I think having OSU, WSU, Stanford, Cal, and SDSU all wandering the desolate plains without a good home helps CU recruiting in SoCal. There were too many P5 schools working that region. We might’ve just eliminated four of them. 👍

No offense to Washington State, but as a CU fan would rather have SDSU and Oregon St if there was a choice.
San Diego would help recruiting.
I’m never coming off the stance that there shouldn’t be any more NEW mouths to feed in power conferences. I know some have this idea that SDSU is going to be amazing for our recruiting, but it’s just pure fantasy. You know who it’s actually going to help? SDSU. Legitimizing G5 programs is a terrible idea unless it’s going to substantially increase revenues.

Back