What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

one more aspect that I don't recall seeing reported ealrier

AP link

Ahem:

The best thing that I’ve heard is that a conference has to 8 members- but there is a 2 year grace period. There is a very, very funny scenario where OSU and WSU form a two team conference, play an 11 game OOC schedule vs teams against whom they can go undefeated, play the last game of the season against each other as ranked foes, and end up highly enough ranked where they get a bid to the playoff. They’d then split the money between the two of them.

The only play available to OSU & WSU at this point is to have some initial rulings go their way, resulting in ESPN and FOX telling the Big 12 to add them in order to avoid litigation & potential damages. Otherwise, OSU/WSU are headed to the MWC and will have forever lost their seats at the table.

1. I just re-read the by-laws and the "plain language" take sure seems to support the OSU and WSU case.

No member shall deliver a notice of withdrawal to the Conference in the period beginning on July 24, 2011, and ending on August 1, 2024; provided, that if any member does deliver a notice of withdrawal prior to August 1, 2024, in violation of this chapter, the Conference shall be entitled to an injunction and other equitable relief to prevent such breach, and if a court of competent jurisdiction shall deny the Conference such injunctive relief, the Conference shall be entitled to retain all the media and sponsorship rights in the multi-player video distribution (MPVD) and telecommunications/wireless categories of the member purporting to withdraw through August 1, 2024, even if the member is then a member of another conference or an independent school for some or all intercollegiate sports competitions. Additionally, if a member delivers notice of withdrawal in violation of this chapter, the member’s representative to the CEO Group shall automatically cease to be a member of the
CEO Group and shall cease to have the right to vote on any matter before the CEO Group.

the crux is the bolded. IMO, if the intent was to state they couldn't leave before 8/1/24, vs couldn't announce leaving before that date, the language would read something like "if any member does withdraw prior to August 1, 2024". Stated differently, the prepositional phrase "prior to..." is modifying the predicate "does deliver" and not the object "withdrawal".

2. the precedent set by the Pac not allowing UCLA and USC to vote after their notice but prior to withdrawal seems to support that.

if someone wants to have a good-faith discussion on how you read that prepositional phrase differently, I'm open-minded to your logic -- I'm just currently not seeing it despite really trying to look at it differently.

And, like jay said, we may never know what the relevant legal opinions are as this will likely get settled.

The only play available to OSU & WSU at this point is to have some initial rulings go their way, resulting in ESPN and FOX telling the Big 12 to add them in order to avoid litigation & potential damages. Otherwise, OSU/WSU are headed to the MWC and will have forever lost their seats at the table.

I prefer the chaos where one goes to the Big 12 and the other goes to the Big 10.

1. I just re-read the by-laws and the "plain language" take sure seems to support the OSU and WSU case.

the crux is the bolded. IMO, if the intent was to state they couldn't leave before 8/1/24, vs couldn't announce leaving before that date, the language would read something like "if any member does withdraw prior to August 1, 2024". Stated differently, the prepositional phrase "prior to..." is modifying the predicate "does deliver" and not the object "withdrawal".

2. the precedent set by the Pac not allowing UCLA and USC to vote after their notice but prior to withdrawal seems to support that.

if someone wants to have a good-faith discussion on how you read that prepositional phrase differently, I'm open-minded to your logic -- I'm just currently not seeing it despite really trying to look at it differently.

And, like jay said, we may never know what the relevant legal opinions are as this will likely get settled.
The date refers to when the university would leave the conference. It would be asinine to have a membership the other way - such an agreement would, in layman's terms, be saying "no one can tell the others that it won't be renewing membership in the next deal because we demand that it's a surprise and don't want to be able to negotiate in good faith with any partners, vendors, unions, etc until after the current agreement has expired."

In other words, the obvious interpretation of the agreement is the reading which isn't something stupid that none of the 12 members would have wanted or been willing to sign.

The date refers to when the university would leave the conference. It would be asinine to have a membership the other way - such an agreement would, in layman's terms, be saying "no one can tell the others that it won't be renewing membership in the next deal because we demand that it's a surprise and don't want to be able to negotiate in good faith with any partners, vendors, unions, etc until after the current agreement has expired."

In other words, the obvious interpretation of the agreement is the reading which isn't something stupid that none of the 12 members would have wanted or been willing to sign.

The point of such language in the contract is precisely to deter a member or members from leaving in the first place because there is a harsh financial penalty. So that the commissioner can negotiate exactly the kinds of deals youre talking about in good faith.

For USC and UCLA, which were stripped of their rights for leaving (setting a precedent by the way) it was worth it to them despite the penalty because theyre getting a lot more money from the Big Ten.

Such departures left the remaining members materially damaged.

How can the commissioner negotiate a new rights contract with a media company if members are departing? The answer, as we all know, is he cant. The conference was mortally wounded by USC and UCLAs departure. Which is exactly why the conference stripped them of their privileges and exercised the conferences right to keep their revenue as compensation. The next 8 schools to leave also chose to go instead of sticking together and attempting to repair the damage. Leaving WSU and OSU even more materially damaged by all this.

The 10 members now want to use the courts to try to salvage their share on the way out the door. But they didnt take the actual steps described in that document necessary to dissolve the conference. They each individually just gave notice they were quitting the organization. Why? Because they were greedy and didnt like the lesser deal.

The lawyers are gonna have fun with this.

Last edited:
The point of such language in the contract is precisely to deter a member or members from leaving in the first place because there is a harsh financial penalty. So that the commissioner can negotiate exactly the kinds of deals youre talking about in good faith.

For USC and UCLA, which were stripped of their rights for leaving (setting a precedent by the way) it was worth it to them despite the penalty because theyre getting a lot more money from the Big Ten.

How can the commissioner negotiate a new rights contract with a media company if members are departing? The answer, as we all know, is he cant. The conference was mortally wounded by USC and UCLAs departure. Which is exactly why the conference stripped them of their privileges and exercised the conferences right to keep their revenue as compensation. The next 8 schools to leave also chose to go instead of sticking together and attempting to repair the damage. Leaving WSU and OSU even more materially damaged by all this.

The 10 members now want to use the courts to try to salvage their share on the way out the door. But they didnt take the actual steps described in that document necessary to dissolve the conference. They each individually just gave notice they were quitting the organization. Why? Because they were greedy and didnt like the lesser deal.

If I have joined a collective bargaining agreement which expires at the end of 2024, I am not damaging the other members of the collective if I choose not to sign a new agreement beginning in 2025. And if I tell them I am not signing a new agreement today, it's a courtesy which is beneficial to their planning and negotiations. And then, if in good faith I recuse myself from the post-2024 planning and negotiations while honoring the remaining term of the existing agreement, it certainly does not mean I have been a bad actor, forwent all my other rights under the agreement, and somehow also owe damages to the members who have decided to stay in the collective post-2024.

I don't think we'll have divisions. Everyone is going away from that. Better chance of sending teams to the playoffs if your best 2 teams play in the CCG.
In theory yes. But I’d argue the opposite, that divisions have saved a few conferences by allowing one team to sit it out while one in the CCG decimates its opponent (the one without a chance)
Ohio St/ Mich last year.
Alabama / UGA / LSU a couple times.
What do you think happens if Mich beats Ohio St in the regular season, then again in the CCG. They only get one team.

Colorado and the other members could counter sue saying that they would have been materially harmed by staying because there was actual evidence that no reasonable media deal could be reached. The G8 had ample evidence that the lack of interest made the conference unsustainable and by providing early notice they left the others in a better position to find a landing spot.

If I have joined a collective bargaining agreement which expires at the end of 2024, I am not damaging the other members of the collective if I choose not to sign a new agreement beginning in 2025. And if I tell them I am not signing a new agreement today, it's a courtesy which is beneficial to their planning and negotiations. And then, if in good faith I recuse myself from the post-2024 planning and negotiations while honoring the remaining term of the existing agreement, it certainly does not mean I have been a bad actor, forwent all my other rights under the agreement, and somehow also owe damages to the members who have decided to stay in the collective post-2024.
Proven Innocent Judge GIF by FOX TV

Precedent?

The Princess Bride Reaction GIF

Precedent?

The Princess Bride Reaction GIF
GUILTY!

Sorry mr picky. I thought it was agreed to(?) accepted(?) understood(?) by all/most/some(?) parties to the agreement that when USC and UCLA gave their notice they were summarily stripped of their voting privileges and other benefits as stated in the agreement. Sort of like a precedent (But not really a real precedent).

With CU going third thru the exit door the same was then applied to us.

Some kind of a pattern? Standard? Coincidence? Rule?

Thanks

Last edited:
GUILTY!

Sorry mr picky. I thought it was agreed to(?) accepted(?) understood(?) by all/most/some(?) parties to the agreement that when USC and UCLA gave their notice they were summarily stripped of their voting privileges and other benefits as stated in the agreement. Sort of like a precedent (But not really a real precedent).

With CU going third thru the exit door the same was then applied to us.

Some kind of a pattern? Standard? Coincidence? Rule?

Thanks

As far as I know, USC and UCLA voluntarily gave up their votes. I'm unaware of "other privileges" they ceded--they are still getting paid, I believe. Their decision will likely have little impact on how a court reads the agreement.

Ok. Assuming that would go East-West, the West would be:

WSU
OSU
BYU
Utah
US
ASU
CU

Then the 4 most "western" by longitude would be TTU, KSU, Baylor and TCU.

If that's the split, the East would be ISU, KU, OSU, UH, Cincy, WVU, UCF, Louisville, Pitt, NCSU & VT.

Probably swap Baylor for KU to balance TX in the divisions with 2 each and to keep the KU-KSU rivalry.

I don't love it. Would actually prefer going to 24 with 4 divisions of 6 teams & 2 divisions on each side (East/West). Could play a fixed 5 opponents, 3/6 from the other division on your side, and 1 game against each of the other 2 divisions for a 10-game conference schedule.
So a Pacific, comprised of roughly 10-12, and Conference along the Atlantic Coast if you will.

Ok. Assuming that would go East-West, the West would be:

WSU
OSU
BYU
Utah
US
ASU
CU

Then the 4 most "western" by longitude would be TTU, KSU, Baylor and TCU.

If that's the split, the East would be ISU, KU, OSU, UH, Cincy, WVU, UCF, Louisville, Pitt, NCSU & VT.

Probably swap Baylor for KU to balance TX in the divisions with 2 each and to keep the KU-KSU rivalry.

I don't love it. Would actually prefer going to 24 with 4 divisions of 6 teams & 2 divisions on each side (East/West). Could play a fixed 5 opponents, 3/6 from the other division on your side, and 1 game against each of the other 2 divisions for a 10-game conference schedule.
Nik ... what is "US" in your west division list?

Don't worry, we are in the end game now.

It's only a matter of time before we have a new 64 school league. Those 64 split into 8 school divisions based on geographic proximity and we end up basically where we all were 30 years ago...
Careful. @Big Jim will want you to provide details.

BTW- I agree mostly. I’d prefer a 60-team league with 12 pods of five teams. Scheduling is easier and it makes for better national games of interest. But in any event, I agree that where we are headed is to revert to something closer to what we had before. This new model is unsustainable.

BTW- I agree mostly. I’d prefer a 60-team league with 12 pods of five teams. Scheduling is easier and it makes for better national games of interest. But in any event, I agree that where we are headed is to revert to something closer to what we had before. This new model is unsustainable ****ing stupid.
FIFY

BTW- I agree mostly. I’d prefer a 60-team league with 12 pods of five teams. Scheduling is easier and it makes for better national games of interest. But in any event, I agree that where we are headed is to revert to something closer to what we had before. This new model is unsustainable.
They have to uncouple the Olympic Sports, there is no need for a total sports conference, that is not gonna work anymore, and the athletes at Stanford and Cal are gonna pay for it.

Football Conference - National
Mens and Womens Basketball Conference - Regional
Baseball Conference - Regional
Olympic Sports Conference - Geographic with Special Regional and National Events

They have to uncouple the Olympic Sports, there is no need for a total sports conference, that is not gonna work anymore, and the athletes at Stanford and Cal are gonna pay for it.

Football Conference - National
Mens and Womens Basketball Conference - Regional
Baseball Conference - Regional
Olympic Sports Conference - Geographic with Special Regional and National Events
Oh yeah. This has to be football only. Th e other sports can do their own, non insane thing.

I understand that a single national football league makes a certain sense in context of "how it should be", but I'm not seeing any near-term motivation for the B1G and SEC to move in that direction.
Good thing they aren't making the decisions anymore. This is 100% about what FOX and ESPN want. They want to consolidate.

I understand that a single national football league makes a certain sense in context of "how it should be", but I'm not seeing any near-term motivation for the B1G and SEC to move in that direction.
Here's what it would take:

Media Companies: "Hey, tOSU et al, we're kicking around a model that would require you and other elites to ditch the conference model for football but you'd make at least $20M more per year on media rights."

Schools: "Where do we sign?"

Here's what it would take:

Media Companies: "Hey, tOSU et al, we're kicking around a model that would require you and other elites to ditch the conference model for football but you'd make at least $20M more per year on media rights."

Schools: "Where do we sign?"
And refocus your other sports in a more cost-effective way

Oh, and likely NIL or Player Pay stuff will be handle collectively

It will happen within 10 years

Back