What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I agree, they already had to add UCLA. But the world needs ditch diggers too.
The thing about the B1G adding UCLA is that Stanford was the better pick for academic prestige, gaining a huge media market rather than duplicating one, and the all-important student recruitment for B1G members from a place with a ton of great applicants and money.

I'm absolutely convinced that UCLA was the play because removing an LA presence was the move that would break the Pac-12. It was intentional to destroy the conference.

The B1G taking aTm would signify them trying to force the next phase of consolidation, IMO. It would force the SEC and ESPN to backfill with one of the ACC properties just to get back on even footing. It also wouldn't be the last of expansion for the B1G as they aren't going to stop at 19, so they would probably target FSU/Miami and have a foothold in both Texas and Florida and be at 20 to the SEC's 16 (assuming they backfill). Then the SEC will want to match and get to 20 and would have to add four more to do so.

Either that, or it forces the SEC to be more agreeable to merge with the B1G and get the bigger league started.

The B1G taking aTm would signify them trying to force the next phase of consolidation, IMO. It would force the SEC and ESPN to backfill with one of the ACC properties just to get back on even footing. It also wouldn't be the last of expansion for the B1G as they aren't going to stop at 19, so they would probably target FSU/Miami and have a foothold in both Texas and Florida and be at 20 to the SEC's 16 (assuming they backfill). Then the SEC will want to match and get to 20 and would have to add four more to do so.

Either that, or it forces the SEC to be more agreeable to merge with the B1G and get the bigger league started.
If this is real, Miami would likely be the play. B1G loves its AAUs.

Does Colorado have any chance for the B1G 10 as they do not have Mountain or Southwest?

Texas A&M is a good play for the B1G, but so is Colorado as a match in one of the remaining big markets and of course AAU

I know that all of you hate my Bundesliga/Green Bay Packers idea for the whole master plan, BUT, what if Colorado just did it solo in order to show a conference that we were dead serious about football, but at the same time, take some of the problems with the University out of the equation. Would we Lease our football program to Coach Prime and invest say $500 Million to get into the B1G 10?

So aTm and Miami to the B1G to get to 20 and then FSU/Clemson to the SEC to backfill?

SEC would still be 4 behind the B1G at that point, so you'd think they'd want to expand further to match. FSU, Clemson and UNC to get to 18? UVA and VT or GT to get to 20?

Then there's Notre Dame still sitting out there that is probably going to be forced to join a conference at some point, which won't be the SEC. I think @Not Sure said it last week that maybe it'd be Notre Dame that ultimately has to lead the charge for the full league under one umbrella, and maybe something like this would spark that.

So aTm and Miami to the B1G to get to 20 and then FSU/Clemson to the SEC to backfill?

SEC would still be 4 behind the B1G at that point, so you'd think they'd want to expand further to match. FSU, Clemson and UNC to get to 18? UVA and VT or GT to get to 20?

Then there's Notre Dame still sitting out there that is probably going to be forced to join a conference at some point, which won't be the SEC. I think @Not Sure said it last week that maybe it'd be Notre Dame that ultimately has to lead the charge for the full league under one umbrella, and maybe something like this would spark that.
How would Virginia, Virginia Tech, or Georgia Tech be ahead of Colorado?

I wouldn't be shocked if the SEC added Kansas. Not as its top target, but if they need to get to 20. It's a nice fit with Mizzou rivalry and there's enough football power to justify adding another Kentucky type school for an elite hoops play. I'm thinking Yormark is pretty brilliant and he has recognized with the Big 12 that there's a ton of untapped value in CBB media rights with so much airtime to fill in Jan-Feb-Mar.

The thing about the B1G adding UCLA is that Stanford was the better pick for academic prestige, gaining a huge media market rather than duplicating one,

Nope. Stanford does not add the bay area. That is like saying UPenn would deliver the Philadelphia market or Columbia would add NYC.

Nope. Stanford does not add the bay area. That is like saying UPenn would deliver the Philadelphia market or Columbia would add NYC.
In terms of media coverage and other B1G schools recruiting more students from the Bay Area, it does. I agree that it doesn't deliver a major bump in tv ratings, though I suspect that games like Stanford vs ND or USC do better there than most markets.

Putting aside for a second the fact that he mentioned it specifically when asked for his reason for leaving. If you believe Sabans departure wasn’t related to the current broken system, can you say the same about the several other coaches that are leaving college coaching to go to the NFL? There’s obviously something broken, and it’s impacting the game itself.
I think the rational take is that the college game is undergoing rapid change which catalyzes turnover and retirements. So, I agree in part with what you're saying.

The people who don't like change in general, and are specifically turned off by these changes are finding their exits.

As far as Saban goes, maybe the changes rank 3rd on his real reasons for retiring. Of the three reasons (age and family being the other two), of course he's going to talk about the changes in an interview with ESPN first.

Maybe he would have coached 2-3 more years if realignment, NIL, and transfers weren't upending things. My point is, that I don't believe he retires if he's 60 and his wife is in perfect health.

The structure of college football has always been broken and undergoing change. The change is just extra rapid right now.

Does Colorado have any chance for the B1G 10 as they do not have Mountain or Southwest?

Texas A&M is a good play for the B1G, but so is Colorado as a match in one of the remaining big markets and of course AAU

I know that all of you hate my Bundesliga/Green Bay Packers idea for the whole master plan, BUT, what if Colorado just did it solo in order to show a conference that we were dead serious about football, but at the same time, take some of the problems with the University out of the equation. Would we Lease our football program to Coach Prime and invest say $500 Million to get into the B1G 10?

8 Ball No GIF

All of these court decisions that are, essentially, allowing college athletes to become free agents are creating a pathway that will do great harm to the bulk of scholarship athletes. The “non revenue” athletes that we, apparently, could not care less about.

Overall, only a small percentage of programs will be able to afford to maintain a full slate of scholarship sports and eventually many of these non revenue sports will be eliminated.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if lower division schools get out of the sports business altogether. Or maybe they drop football because of its Title IX impact and become programs similar to DU.

All of these court decisions that are, essentially, allowing college athletes to become free agents are creating a pathway that will do great harm to the bulk of scholarship athletes. The “non revenue” athletes that we, apparently, could not care less about.

Overall, only a small percentage of programs will be able to afford to maintain a full slate of scholarship sports and eventually many of these non revenue sports will be eliminated.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if lower division schools get out of the sports business altogether. Or maybe they drop football because of its Title IX impact and become programs similar to DU.
100% agree
It will all be pay to play Club Sports

Reactions: DBT

Oh dear God I certainly hope you are right!!!

The non-revenue sports are an absolute drain on athletic departments. Club sports are a great solution.

I could see a scenario where the only schools that can afford the non revenue sports are the ones who fall into the top tier league. Football has paid the freight for the non revenue sports for years, but if this plays out the way I think it could, the stratification of college athletics will be severe.

I could see a scenario where the only schools that can afford the non revenue sports are the ones who fall into the top tier league. Football has paid the freight for the non revenue sports for years, but if this plays out the way I think it could, the stratification of college athletics will be severe.
I do wonder whether a Gonzaga or St. John's will be able to compete in hoops against the resources of the football school top tier. And that's a revenue sport. Not sure how schools like DU are going to continue being great at hockey and lacrosse against ADs that dwarf what they're able to offer.

I do wonder whether a Gonzaga or St. John's will be able to compete in hoops against the resources of the football school top tier. And that's a revenue sport. Not sure how schools like DU are going to continue being great at hockey and lacrosse against ADs that dwarf what they're able to offer.
The smaller hockey schools are doing a good job so far in competing against B1G hockey programs, so that’s a good sign.

Last edited:
So, like what we had with the College Football Association?
Exactly like the old CFA, but broadened in scope for all aspects of administrating and governing rather than just media negotiations.

For reference, it was 63 member institutions that negotiated media as a single bloc but which later dissolved to let individual conferences and independents negotiate on their own.

I think DU is a bad example. Oddly enough, hockey and Gymnastics are revenue sports at DU, while basketball isn’t. DU is essentially a D-2 school for most things outside of those sports (and skiing, but that’s a passion sport for DU much the same way as it is at CU). Long story short, competing in hockey won’t be a problem. Where they might have issues is in the more obscure sports like soccer and swimming.

Exactly like the old CFA, but broadened in scope for all aspects of administrating and governing rather than just media negotiations.

For reference, it was 63 member institutions that negotiated media as a single bloc but which later dissolved to let individual conferences and independents negotiate on their own.
It was dissolved because the big boys essentially said "**** you, we're not sharing that way anymore."

I'm pretty sure the lead on the lawsuit was OU.

OU wanted to sell the broadcast rights to their own games, the CFA wouldn't let them. They sued, saying the CFA was an illegal monopoly. The Supreme Court agreed with OU.

Back