What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Or cu brings in the boulder/Denver market! Boulder could care less about cu.
nathan fillion castle GIF

I think DU is a bad example. Oddly enough, hockey and Gymnastics are revenue sports at DU, while basketball isn’t. DU is essentially a D-2 school for most things outside of those sports (and skiing, but that’s a passion sport for DU much the same way as it is at CU). Long story short, competing in hockey won’t be a problem. Where they might have issues is in the more obscure sports like soccer and swimming.
You are correct here, and I'm not sure the DU model could be repeated many places.

To start with they don't have football but they make as much off hockey as a lot of FCS type schools or even lower end G5 schools make off football.

Secondly they are very successful at a limited number of sports that they have targeted. Those sports for the most part aren't sports that other schools throw a lot of money at making competing an expensive proposition.

Gymnastics requires a small number of scholarships and with a small squad travel expenses are reduced. Big bonus as you say is that they generate some decent revenues from it while many of the schools they compete against generate much less.

Lacrosse, and skiing are sports with a limited number of other schools competing and the majority of those schools aren't dumping big budgets into them. A good portion of those schools are private or academically oriented public where buying wins is a priority. Soccer to an extent fits this description.

The other non-revenue sports that do tend to have big money competition DU either doesn't compete in (Baseball/Softball, Wrestling, Track and field) or they are fine with being non-competitive or competing at a lower level like Men's and Women's Basketball.

Managed well college sports can be a highly effective public face for colleges and universities. Lose the handle on what is an appropriate level of commitment and investment in sports and they can become a very expensive detriment to the mission of the school.

As college football (and likely eventually college basketball) continues to push towards a pro model with the money and the power in the hands of a limited number of high profile programs it is going to be more and more difficult for a lot of schools to justify what they are putting into them.

I could see a lot of schools simply choosing to scale down be it club level or more along the lines of what we see in D2 or FCS now.

Somebody help me on how the politics of Boulder have anything to do with CU delivering the Denver TV market.

Beyond that, if I read Fred’s remark correctly, Boulder is supportive of CU athletics. I mean he did say they could care less.
Yes you are an idiot! ft fun cares more about the rams than boulder cares about cu! Fact! The city does not embrace university and sees it as a hindrance.

Yes you are an idiot! ft fun cares more about the rams than boulder cares about cu! Fact! The city does not embrace university and sees it as a hindrance.

Hmmm. Interesting that CSU averaged 26,500 fans per home game in 2023 or 73% of stadium capacity. CU averaged 53,000+ at 106% of capacity. I can see your point here that the Rams have better fan support. Yep, makes complete sense. Of course, if that is a problem, I'm sure the CSU HC's wife can speak up for him and explain the situation.

Hmmm. Interesting that CSU averaged 26,500 fans per home game in 2023 or 73% of stadium capacity. CU averaged 53,000+ at 106% of capacity. I can see your point here that the Rams have better fan support. Yep, makes complete sense. Of course, if that is a problem, I'm sure the CSU HC's wife can speak up for him and explain the situation.

Fred 2 knows that what he is posting is idiotic, he's a troll and has managed to get some posters here to engage.

Anyone who tries to compare CSU to CU on a basis of football programs assuming they are even comparable is an envious idiot. One program plays at the highest level, the other is a below average MWC team. One had among the nations highest number of TV viewers last year, the other is lucky to get a Thursday night game on ESPN8.

One sold out season tickets in a 53,000 seat stadium, the other not only averages less than half of that but look at the games as the season rolls along and the fans have given up knowing that they aren't going to beat big brother (again) and not matter in any other way and they are lucky to have 15,000 actual fans in the stadium.

Fred, it’s been a long time since CU and Boulder haven’t mutually depended upon one another. It’s a settled peace with some happiness mixed in. You need to find another contrast. Ft. Fun and CSU are boring to the world and to each other.

Well that’s only if you don’t account for population; according to the US Census, the population estimate for 2022 for Boulder was 106K, whereas Fort Collins had fewer people with an estimated population of 169K.

Wait.

This is my point. A 30 team league will eat itself alive. You need the Vanderbilts, Mississippi States, Rutgers and Indianas to do a couple things: first, to give Michigan and Georgia a week off, but also to make for a great story when those schools break out and do well.

30 is way too low, 80 is way too high. 64 is a good number that provides for a lot of schools to have a seat at the table while everybody gets ridiculously rich. If you believe, as I do, that we are eventually heading to a 14-game season and a 16-team playoff, 64 is the perfect number. The entertainment over the next 10-15 years will be watching the teams right on that bubble fight each other like rats in a sock.
The number feels like 50 between the super leagues. I think the Big 12s emphasis on basketball likely keeps it at the table to an extent if we're stuck here after the ACC collapses.

That implies that Alabama a) wants a conference and b) wants South Carolina to be a part of it and I have doubts about both.

I have seen this exact same thing play out elsewhere. The big teams will keep pushing for a bigger piece of the pie as they win more, contribute more and attract more people and at one point break away from the rest and do their own thing where they can decide who's part of it and make the rules as they see fit.
Let's see what happens if they go 9-3 in 2024. Games against Vanderbilt for Alabama serve a purpose. Same thing that games against Baylor (who if we're honest is awful right now) will do for CU.

The conference sent them up here as CUs league opener for a reason.

Back