1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU/KU Take a Knee Philosophy

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Stampede, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Stampede

Stampede Member

I've worked up the clock calcs starting after KU scored to make it 45-24. The time on the clock was 11:05 and I'm snapping the ball with :01 left on the :40 second play clock. I've factored in :06 per CU punt and given the Jayhawks 2:00 to score each TD (being generous on many fronts). Here are the results:

Colorado 2nd Drive - score 45-24
    1st Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 11:05
    2nd Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 10:26
    3rd Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 9:47
    4th Down: Punt - Start Time 9:08
    Punt Play Time :06 - End Time 9:02
    Kansas Drive
    Total Drive Time (2:00) - End Time 7:02
    Colorado 3rd Drive - score 45-31
    1st Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 7:02
    2nd Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 6:23
    3rd Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 5:44
    4th Down: Punt - Start Time 5:05
    Punt Play Time :06 - End Time 4:59
    Kansas Drive
    Total Drive Time (2:00) - End Time 2:59
    Colorado 4th Drive - score 45-38
    1st Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 2:59
    2nd Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 2:20
    3rd Down: QB Kneel - Start Time 1:41
    4th Down: Punt - Start Time 1:02
    Punt Play Time :06 - End Time 0:56
    Kansas Drive
    Kansas would have 0:56 to score to TIE the game at 45-45.

2. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

If I remember right Kansas had all 3 timeouts at the start of the fourth quarter...be sure to factor that in somewheres...

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

This **** is why I love allbuffs. Just repped you man. Thank you for doing the work the rest of us were too lazy to do. Emailing Bohn this info now. :lol:

4. Stampede

Stampede Member

True point. Let's just say after they saw us taking a knee, they decided to save their timeouts for the final drive.

5. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

That amount of time is easy to knock off if you just run simple running plays each time, and you might even get a first down with which to extend the clock.

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I think a little bit more than 40 seconds would run off with each play. The rule is that the 40 second clock begins when the play is whistled dead. So if CU snapped it, the QB took a step or two back, and then downed the ball, I think it would actually run 42 or 43 seconds per play.

But your info / summary is very good! Thank you for posting it!

7. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

""If we had knelt on the ball at the end of the game, wouldn't that have been the end of the game? Yeah, it would have been. But Gandhi didn't take a knee, Martin Luther King didn't take a knee, Thomas Edison didn't take a knee, and I sure as hell am not going to take a knee."

Dan Hawkins - 2003

8. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

So basically if we had run the ball and stumbled upon a first down, unlikely I know they had us stopped running the ball all day, they wouldn't have had any time to even tie the game. I vote this the best game of Hawk's tenure at CU.

9. Darth Snow

Reported on AZ's website... apparently the AD ran the #'s and presented them to Hawk yesterday. :lol: Unfortunately, no word on Hawk's response. God that would have been awesome!

10. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I'm sure his response was, "we were just out there playing football."

11. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

you gotta take risks in life. .

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

LOL..

Mike Bohn: Uh.... Dan..... we've run some numbers here.... did you realize that if you just sat on the ball every single snap of the 4th quarter, it would be impossible for Kansas to catch up?

Dan Hawkins: Oh, you know, we were just out there playing football, it was going back and forth. Thanks, Mike.

13. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

I've heard people make this comment, you were the first I saw do the math. Rep.:thumbsup:

By the way, are you free to coach next year?

14. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Good point about the timeouts, so those would have to be factored in there somewhere, but overall it probably comes out in the wash because because chances are one of their scoring drives would've taken longer than 2 minutes, and just 1 first down by us means they likely don't even get that last drive with 56 seconds left to tie the game.

The only thing not accounted for here is that onside kick recovery by KU so that would've eliminated our 2nd drive. Still a nice job of putting this together though.

15. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Don't forget if we are kneeling it, KU likely doesn't score on a fumble return and didn't KU also score after an interception?

16. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Yes, one of KU's scoring drives started with an interception.

17. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

this exact thread was just mentioned on '87.7 The Ticket' .... the Tony D and PW show

they gave credit to 'Allbuffs.com'

Sweet job guys

18. Darth Snow

no way? Crazy. I emailed it to Joel klatt and Cj, but I wonder how those guys found out about it?

19. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

CU would have won this game if they would have kept running the ball when it was 45-31. CU had 2nd and 5, stewart just ran for 5 yds on first down. The next play, they run a deep reverse to clemons, fumble for a TD.

CU lost any hope for a bowl and hawk's job with the 2 losses at home to baylor and tech.

This loss was a fitting end to 5 years of puzzling playcalling and execution by Hawk and staff.

20. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

wow

21. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Yep, I heard it as well. Good job stampede

22. Stampede

Stampede Member

Happy to have my work mentioned on the radio, but even happier to know Bohn finally pulled the plug. WOOT!

SuperiorBuff likes this.
  23. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Some rep coming your way, Stampede.

Nice work. Just shows that it was pretty much impossible to lose that game. I guess that's why a loss like that had only happened once in the history of college football.

24. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Without that loss we were saddled with Hawk for the rest of the season. I love that loss.

25. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

I have still been fundamentally unable to write anything about what I witnessed in Lawrence.
    It was that mind-boggling pathetic. Cruel and unusual punishment. Waterboarding would have been more fun. Might have made more sense.

It was believing for the first half that CU had found itself, that the nightmare was ending, that the boys would be so proud of this day... even toying with the idea that maybe the coach had been telling the truth: he just needed a little more time to get the pieces in place...
    and then cruelly opening that big shiny box with the huge gold bow under the tree, and finding a ripped package of used underwear, many sizes too small.

Okay, horrible crappy analogy, but it was this: believing you were witnessing something wonderful to the point of giddiness, and then finding out it was a hoax from top to bottom. There was no pony in the front yard, no unicorn, there was nothing you wanted. And Nothing was what we got.

The letdown was immense and is not something from which I will recover any time soon. Fricken KU fans in the parking lot patting strangers on the back and saying "You okay? We're really sorry for your loss." No joke.

I still do not have the words to describe what happened and how it affected the small group who were submitted to the carnage in person. If Bohn felt the heart of the program ripped out for these players the way I saw it, it was a key factor in why he couldn't wait another week, another month. It was that bad.