What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU MBB Rankings/NET/KenPom/Bracketology Catch-All

I agree that the quadrant records are misused by people trying to compare teams against each other.
The quadrant system is helpful in showing how a team collected the points in the summation of their net ranking.
As a metric of determining big wins, I'd say it is worse than wins against the projected field. (although this gets tricky with bubble teams)
I think it should be used as a secondary or tertiary comparison after comparing net/kenpom/rpi and I would weight it similarly to how a team has done in the last ten games when making comparisons.

Hopefully the committee understands the data they have and how to use it.
The committee will put the teams in that they want then cherry pick the data to justify teams in/out.

I find some of the reasoning around the NET to be highly circular, especially when it comes to talking about Quad 1 wins. CU is 26 in the NET, Seton Hall is 65. But East coast pundits who can't stay up late enough to watch West coast basketball will cry, Seton Hall has a 5-8 Quad 1 record vs CU's 2-5! But CU is 26 in NET!? If you beat CU at home you get a Quad 1 win. If you beat Seton Hall on a neutral that is a mere Quad 2. Other teams get more credit for beating CU!

IMO, overanalyzing the Quad 1's is dumb. It doesn't favor my preferred team this season. Any college team can have a bad night. Let the NET speak for itself and then look at the other factors, like injuries and how the team has performed recently. That is my pitch for why Colorado should be a 5 seed and all these bracketologists can suck it.
Does a team get a Quad 1 win when beating a team in range(1 -50 Neutral) when said opponent at the time was in range. (Utah #48) or does NET now consider Utah a Quad 2 win since they moved to #51 after the beat down?

Does a team get a Quad 1 win when beating a team in range(1 -50 Neutral) when said opponent at the time was in range. (Utah #48) or does NET now consider Utah a Quad 2 win since they moved to #51 after the beat down?
It's based on current rank.

Yes

Blind resume time! One of these teams is CU, the other 4 are the consensus 8 seeds according to Bracket Matrix

1710521826112.png

Not noticeably different IMO

Honestly, I think if the committee just goes by who they think belongs where and only looks at the data when it's tight, I think we're doing okay. We're on a 7 game win streak (hopefully 8 after tonight), we've got an exciting team, a great point guard, and even a lottery pick on our team. We've got a lot of pluses on our side if you're looking at the intangibles.

ETA - also, if they're looking for teams that are able to compete and win games, as opposed to who should be rewarded for having a good season, we're also in good stead. I think a ton of the bracketologists go by rewarding teams for having a good season.

Honestly, I think if the committee just goes by who they think belongs where and only looks at the data when it's tight, I think we're doing okay. We're on a 7 game win streak (hopefully 8 after tonight), we've got an exciting team, a great point guard, and even a lottery pick on our team. We've got a lot of pluses on our side if you're looking at the intangibles.

ETA - also, if they're looking for teams that are able to compete and win games, as opposed to who should be rewarded for having a good season, we're also in good stead. I think a ton of the bracketologists go by rewarding teams for having a good season.
For once, I think the appeal of Colorado basketball might work in our favor. Having 3 draft picks, one a lottery pick, another a near conference POY, and a transfer who had a huge/memorable tourney performance against Arizona all make for good TV.

Personally, my pessimistic opinion is if Buffs win tonight, they are in due to another win over a team from the field.

If they lose, the Buffs will be out with the lame excuse that their resume against the field kept them out.

Back