1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU men's basketball: Buffs hard at work establishing a new attitude

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by RSSBot, Apr 27, 2015.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

By Brian Howell

BuffZone.com Writer

Tre'Shaun Fletcher is in beginning stages of his third offseason with the Colorado men's basketball team, and so far, this one has been nothing like the previous two.

Originally posted by Daily Camera
    Click here to view the article.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Very encouraging stuff. I was glad to read some of these quotes. Yes, everything's always positive in the offseason and everyone's always working hard... yada, yada, yada, but this does sound like they identified some specific problems with team attitude & chemistry and are targeting things directly in order to fix them.

Good example from the article:

If it's not Hardy getting on the players to work harder in the weight room, it's the players getting on each other. That's something else that was missing last year.

"You can see it where guys are calling each other out and people aren't getting into fights about it," Stalzer said. "It's, 'Ok, he's right, let's keep working hard.' "

3. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Never been more in "shut up and show me in November" mode than I am now.

hokiehead likes this.
  4. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

#isitnovemberyet ?

5. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Me to. I certainly don't question that these guys are working hard, and always do.

IMO the bulk of pressure is on the coaches. They have to do a better job of getting the players in a position to be successful. Last off season, about 8 months, they knew Scott would be drawing a double team down low, and sure enough it was almost automatic. Didn't seem like they prepared for it at all. Stuff like that has to be addressed this off season, or we'll see a repeat of last season.

6. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

It's interesting to note who was quoted in that article. A result of who was made available, who Howell wanted to talk to, or who wanted to talk?

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Yeah. I get that the seniors would be running things right now, so XT & Eli weren't really a surprise. But I thought it was very interesting that Fletch was the 3rd spokesperson.

8. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Very likely that it was just who was available.

9. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Would loved to hear something from Scott. This should be his team but maybe he is leading from outside the headlines. Who knows but I want to hear him take control and set the tone.

10. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Scott said earlier that he deferred to "senior" leadership last year and since the only schollie senior wasn't a leader and did his own thing, the Buffs were
    screwed from the beginning. I still don't get the deference to seniority, it ain't a union.

Scott has to be the guy this year or step aside and just be a role model, while Fortune, Collier or Miller lead this team!

11. PuebloBuff

PuebloBuff Club Member Club Member

These aren't full team workouts on the court right now. Had Howell showed up on a different day, I bet the story would be full of quotes from bigs.

12. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

Opening at Iowa State is a hell of a tough way to start the season. They will need some good scrimmages with local teams first.

13. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Brutal. At least it'll be a good start in the RPI department, even with a loss. Regardless, we've got to get our OOC in order this year. If we're going to enter conference play with a sizable amount of losses picked up like this past season then it had better be because of a strong SOS.

14. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Why "local teams"? They usually set up scrimmages with some pretty tough outfits like Wichita St , SMU or Creighton. Maybe they should scrum with Texas this year.

15. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I'd bet every team in the Pac works hard.

16. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Well-Known Member

Is Hoiberg still gonna be there, I know some NBA teams like him a lot.

17. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

The Mayor had heart valve replacement surgery 2 weeks ago. Everybody in Cyclone land are hoping he will still be here. He got a lot of love while at Mayo and upon his release from hospital. Thanked all the fans and said he'd see them in the fall.

We all know what that means in the world of coaching. However, both Fred and his wife are from Ames and their parents still live there. He's made reference to how nice it is for his kids to be around their grandparents.

I would expect he'd be there next season as an article in the Ames paper 2 days ago said that he has some contact with visiting recruits as he recuperates from his surgery.

18. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

[MENTION=1964]buffgal[/MENTION]. You terrified me when I read "the mayor" in your post. I was thinking Spencer.

19. DBT

No kidding! I was, like, "WTF!!?"

20. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

+1

21. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

Coach Hoiberg was the Mayor long before Spence was the Mayor. :nod:

22. DBT

THERE IS ONLY ONE "THE MAYOR!!!" :lol: